• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Netvine

Reaction score
you know, its not even that the boots are pushing my toes against each other too much, just that my toes don't feel like they have ample room, without being too tight, if that makes any sense. Not uncomfortably tight, but not perfectly comfortable either...

I had a similar issue on a right HHSD (not the left as well). The problem is on the little toe where the toe cap stitching is on the right boot only. When my foot splays, small toe puts pressure on the stitching. I put a little lexol conditioner on that spot on the stitching vamp and liner. After a few months of wear It stopped hurting and then they became comfortable but not nearly as much as my plain toe. Another thing that helps me is making sure instep is laced tight so the heel is seated. During break in you might lose the heel slip too when the boot loses that initial rigidity. Im unclear if the foot breaks in the boot or vice versa. Either way, the break in is always tough, and when I least expect it something magical happens with these White’s.

Davey13

Reaction score
I had a similar issue on a right HHSD (not the left as well). The problem is on the little toe where the toe cap stitching is on the right boot only. When my foot splays, small toe puts pressure on the stitching. I put a little lexol conditioner on that spot on the stitching vamp and liner. After a few months of wear It stopped hurting and then they became comfortable but not nearly as much as my plain toe. Another thing that helps me is making sure instep is laced tight so the heel is seated. During break in you might lose the heel slip too when the boot loses that initial rigidity. Im unclear if the foot breaks in the boot or vice versa. Either way, the break in is always tough, and when I least expect it something magical happens with these White’s.

Yes this is the main problem. Right by the stitching. And, only when my foot "splays" also, is when I ever had issues before.

Other thing is, that the heel feels great now, but the instep and ball of my foot feel a bit too tight in general.

Davey13

Reaction score
Update on the MPs. Okay, after another full day in the house of wearing the MPs. My heel has started to "mold" in I guess, because heel slip definitely seems better than yesterday.

But, things seem to have changed very slightly in terms of fit.

Now, the boot overall feels:
A bit too snug in the foot overall (especially ball and instep), but probably because my foot "adjusted" into it.
The toes I would say just feel a little better but no extra room for comfort.
And, the heel feels perfect as this size D, and I am hesitant to try an E due to having a looser heel.

If I could sum it up in one sentence, I would say the boot fits, but feels like a boot that you have an insole in, making it overall less room, and you kinda wish you could take it out. I hope that makes sense. Everything fits, but no wiggle room.

Again, as this is my first pair of boots like this, it could be that I'm just not used to such a close fitting boot.

And, I've literally had these on all day today, and no blisters, or real discomfort of any kind.

So, I'm still unsure what to do. As of now, my options seem to be
Different last completely like a pair of SDs,
Try the next size up E width and hope my heel still feels as good as this
Hope they stretch out a bit more and get better, unlikely.

I'll probably give these another day of wear since its the weekend, and see how I feel. Right now though, kinda leaning towards a different last like Legal Eagles has recommended. Thanks guys for listening.

andy b.

Reaction score
For the most part, all the sole options have the same arch support. What starts shifting things is changing the heel height. If you specify a double midsole, that double leather thickness extends to the heel. If you specify a halfsole, the heel stack is adjusted so the heel height is still the same relative to the ball of your foot as any other sole. If you ask for the heel to be 1/4" taller or shorter, that is what starts altering the relationship between the ball of your foot, and your heel, and affects the feel of the arch support.

What options for a single midsole BH would one select to achieve the same arch-ease properties as a BH with standard heel and double midsole?

Would +\- heel offset or the shank option create a different arch-ease?

Netvine

Reaction score
For the most part, all the sole options have the same arch support. What starts shifting things is changing the heel height. If you specify a double midsole, that double leather thickness extends to the heel. If you specify a halfsole, the heel stack is adjusted so the heel height is still the same relative to the ball of your foot as any other sole. If you ask for the heel to be 1/4" taller or shorter, that is what starts altering the relationship between the ball of your foot, and your heel, and affects the feel of the arch support.

Thank You! That makes sense. I suppose the thing to do will be to go single midsole with the 1/4”+ heel.

Im embarassed to admit that The mistake I had made in the past was assuming that standard height meant a universal overall height for the last. Its a lucky mistake because I definetly prefer the arch ease of the double. When i placed my first order I had considered going 1/4” lower as I had no experience with a heel.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update on the MPs. Okay, after another full day in the house of wearing the MPs. My heel has started to "mold" in I guess, because heel slip definitely seems better than yesterday.

But, things seem to have changed very slightly in terms of fit.

Now, the boot overall feels:
A bit too snug in the foot overall (especially ball and instep), but probably because my foot "adjusted" into it.
The toes I would say just feel a little better but no extra room for comfort.
And, the heel feels perfect as this size D, and I am hesitant to try an E due to having a looser heel.

If I could sum it up in one sentence, I would say the boot fits, but feels like a boot that you have an insole in, making it overall less room, and you kinda wish you could take it out. I hope that makes sense. Everything fits, but no wiggle room.

Again, as this is my first pair of boots like this, it could be that I'm just not used to such a close fitting boot.

And, I've literally had these on all day today, and no blisters, or real discomfort of any kind.

So, I'm still unsure what to do. As of now, my options seem to be
Different last completely like a pair of SDs,
Try the next size up E width and hope my heel still feels as good as this
Hope they stretch out a bit more and get better, unlikely.

I'll probably give these another day of wear since its the weekend, and see how I feel. Right now though, kinda leaning towards a different last like Legal Eagles has recommended. Thanks guys for listening.

How many wears/hours do you actually have on these now? And what socks are you wearing when you wear them?

Davey13

Reaction score
How many wears/hours do you actually have on these now? And what socks are you wearing when you wear them?

I'd say a good 8-10 hours so far. Darn Tough light cushion. Although, even in thinner socks like dress socks they still feel a bit too restricting on my ball and toe area. At this point I guess if the E width doesn't work out, I'll just go with a different boot altogether.

andy b.

Reaction score
Don't get discouraged. The entire reason to go with something like Whites is because they can do more customization than a standard mass-produced footwear manufacturer. What it will come down to now is being as specific as possible on what any remaining issues are. I had to go through three tries before I got my Packers to fit correctly. The same with other forms of footwear. There is one Allen Edmonds last that fits my foot perfectly, all the others are a compromise. And similar to your issue, it is my pinky toe that is generally the problem.

I'd say a good 8-10 hours so far. Darn Tough light cushion. Although, even in thinner socks like dress socks they still feel a bit too restricting on my ball and toe area. At this point I guess if the E width doesn't work out, I'll just go with a different boot altogether.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank You! That makes sense. I suppose the thing to do will be to go single midsole with the 1/4”+ heel.

Im embarassed to admit that The mistake I had made in the past was assuming that standard height meant a universal overall height for the last. Its a lucky mistake because I definetly prefer the arch ease of the double. When i placed my first order I had considered going 1/4” lower as I had no experience with a heel.

Hmm... my impression is that the heel height IS absolute, that they adjust the heel in relation to sole choice. So 1.25 is standard no matter what, etc. but I may be wrong for sure.

Netvine

Reaction score
The last geometry remains the same regardless of the number of midsoles.
Between the 55 SD and 55 dbl midsole BH both with standard heel. The BH geometry is noticably higher in the heel. So is the “arch ease twist” noticable on the sole. Not the overall height, the offset between heel and forefoot is significant. So Its possible maybe Model on same last effects the standard height as well if its not the midsole because both heel stacks do appear the same height on BH and SD without taking a tape measure to them.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads