• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GoodAg

Reaction score
@broken_oracle
I don't own a pair of White's but I'm currently working on a build so I thought I'd chime in and try to help where I can.
1) I think you might be ok with or w/o the celastic toe. Again, I don't own a White's dress brown but I've handled a dress brown and read quite a bit about the leather in this forum. It feels like a very tough leather as long as people aren't stepping on your toes often you should be ok.
2) I typically prefer some contrast between the sole and upper. I'd say go with brown or even natural looks sharp with dress brown.
3)I like the Cuban heel. Looks different, refined, and is more comfortable to walk in. I've tried on a standard height Cuban and standard height block heel - the Cuban heel just felt right.

Hope this helps!

GoodAg

Reaction score
I'm searching high and low for a picture of a BH with a single leather midsole and no vibram, but can't find one. Has anyone seen a BH like this?

Zachery Zhu

Reaction score
I'm considering to build a smoke jumper from Baker. But there are still a few things I need you guys for advice.

1. Plane toe, red dog oiled as toe, counter and back parts. Black dress for shaft. My questions is: is red dog oiled strong and can do last long than Chromexcel #8? And is black Chromexel or smooth better for shaft?

2. I didn't decide yet whether 8 inch or 10 inch, maybe 9 inch. Can you guys give your opinion. I've already I have a bunch of 6 inch boots.

3. Which last should I build on? C461 or #38 swing? Which one looks better for a 8 inch and 10 inch boot with my choice of colour of leather? I will use Vibram 430 sole and single midsole and single toecap.

spurs61

Reaction score
woah! 10% off on custom builds at Baker's this Monday is making me put together an order fast. Would like this pair to be a bit dressier than my Smooth Distressed no-celastic captoe 6" Swing Last Bounty Hunters I wear at work daily.

Thinking all Brown Dress SDs on Swing Last (feet bones hafta wear that, sorry Haters), all antique brass eyelets, close trim, Cuban heel dropped 1/4", 700 sole (the 430 soles on my BHs have begun to squeak like hell, very annoying, would like to try a composite sole instead).

Questions are:

1) Celastic or no? Not sure how the Brown Dress collapses over time, if celastic caps even fit the Swing Last, or if the edge of the celastic cap will make itself visible over time in the way the Brown Dress patinas.
2) Brown or Black edge dressing? Girlfriend thinks the black would look better, not sure if I agree (and can't find any pix of brown dress with black edging to consider).

3) Do the 1/4" dropped Cuban heel, or have Baker's close-trim a 1/4" dropped block heel? (kind of like East-West's brown dress White's boots)

All your thoughts are appreciated, the clock ticks! I figure better to drop $400 & 6 weeks on a custom pair than $522 on a factory set of Alden Indys this weekend... Gotta get a backup pair of boots ASAP before I send my only White's in for a possible resoling/definite re-heel-capping

Zachery Zhu

Reaction score
Sorry, where to find the 10% discount? Thanks
woah! 10% off on custom builds at Baker's this Monday is making me put together an order fast. Would like this pair to be a bit dressier than my Smooth Distressed no-celastic captoe 6" Swing Last Bounty Hunters I wear at work daily.

Thinking all Brown Dress SDs on Swing Last (feet bones hafta wear that, sorry Haters), all antique brass eyelets, close trim, Cuban heel dropped 1/4", 700 sole (the 430 soles on my BHs have begun to squeak like hell, very annoying, would like to try a composite sole instead).

Questions are:

1) Celastic or no? Not sure how the Brown Dress collapses over time, if celastic caps even fit the Swing Last, or if the edge of the celastic cap will make itself visible over time in the way the Brown Dress patinas.

2) Brown or Black edge dressing? Girlfriend thinks the black would look better, not sure if I agree (and can't find any pix of brown dress with black edging to consider).

3) Do the 1/4" dropped Cuban heel, or have Baker's close-trim a 1/4" dropped block heel? (kind of like East-West's brown dress White's boots)

All your thoughts are appreciated, the clock ticks! I figure better to drop $400 & 6 weeks on a custom pair than $522 on a factory set of Alden Indys this weekend... Gotta get a backup pair of boots ASAP before I send my only White's in for a possible resoling/definite re-heel-capping

hkpm

Reaction score
Just received my second pair of white's.
6inch Bounty Hunter.
Brown dress and toffee dress.
Close trim. Cut top.
Cuban heel, standard height.

When I first put on the boots, oh man, it was so uncomfortable.
I am not sure whether I was getting used on wearing my 2 months old SD on C461 last and lower 1/4 inch height.
The feel is totally different, the heel drop is so significant.
I hope the footbed will mold to my feet and the heel drop would lower with longer wear .

Zachery Zhu

Reaction score
This is gorgeous!
Just received my second pair of white's. 6inch Bounty Hunter. Brown dress and toffee dress. Close trim. Cut top. Cuban heel, standard height. When I first put on the boots, oh man, it was so uncomfortable. I am not sure whether I was getting used on wearing my 2 months old SD on C461 last and lower 1/4 inch height. The feel is totally different, the heel drop is so significant. I hope the footbed will mold to my feet and the heel drop would lower with longer wear .
this

Royteane

Reaction score
Man, I love your toffee. Unlucky that i just placed new order for SD.

Zachery Zhu

Reaction score

I'm considering to build a smoke jumper from Baker. But there are still a few things I need you guys for advice.

1. Plane toe, red dog oiled as toe, counter and back parts. Black dress for shaft. My questions is: is red dog oiled strong and can do last long than Chromexcel #8? And is black Chromexel or smooth better for shaft?

2. I didn't decide yet whether 8 inch or 10 inch, maybe 9 inch. Can you guys give your opinion. I've already I have a bunch of 6 inch boots.

3. Which last should I build on? C461 or #38 swing? Which one looks better for a 8 inch and 10 inch boot with my choice of colour of leather? I will use Vibram 430 sole and single midsole and single toecap.

Is there any bro can help me?

ThatDudeOrion

Reaction score
I have never seen "toffee dress" mentioned before and I can't find it on White's nor Baker's website, is it new? It sure looks beautiful.

dtodd

Reaction score
I should introduce myself: I've been lurking here a while and recently got a pair of black chromexel semi-dress boots - my first White's. They are breaking in nicely!

dtodd

Last edited:

conak

Reaction score

Is there any bro can help me?

Height- I have one pair of 8" whites (farmer rancher) and 2 pairs of 10" whites (1 farmer rancher and one outdoorsman) . I also have a 5" whites (SD) and other 6" and 8" and 10" boots from other makers. Personally, I don't find the 10" to be uncomfortable, but it is overkill except in a waterproof boot (like whites outdoorsman), where it really ensures you will not get water in your boots. The other 10" pair of whites I own is comfortable enough, but there's no added benefit to the height, and it is a bit of a hassle to lace. 5" in my opinion is a little short, being slightly less comfortable than a 6" due to the position of the edge near the ankle bone. 6" and 8" are equally comfortable and neither are much hassle to lace, but there is a bit more support on an 8". I don't notice more ankle support on a 10" over 8". Only benefit I can think of is protecting your leg while riding a motorcycle through brush, or something like that.

Leather- my 10" whites farmer are chromexcel, and I would have to argue that it's a tougher leather than the red dog or other standard calf leathers. It is very much a work leather, as it'll scuff up and look rugged, but it's tough. From what I understand the chromexcel leather was originally created to use for sealant in engines and industrial machinery, and later adapted for consumer use, so I think toughness was its primary design focus. It has a slight sheen like its got a coat of wax, but the color won't polish up evenly once scuffed the way the standard calf leathers do. It's a nice look though, just not as clean.

Can't help you on the lasts

dtodd

Reaction score
Ok, I said I'd get pictures of mine so here they are:

Black smooth a.k.a. black oil tan leather takes a beathing and cleans up well. These boots were scrubbed hard and treated with Obenauf's oil on Tuesday. They needed it. As you can see from the side of the sole and the heel stack, they have been used hard, but the uppers are still going strong. I have a pair of bullhide cowboy boots I rotate these with now, but as you can see they have taken the shape of my feet wonderfully. I was measured for these and I couldn't be happier with the fit. The laces come together close on the right boot because my right foot is lower in volume than my left at that spot.

These are work boots for me, and if I wanted something dressier I'd get the same model and measurements with leather soles. Only problem would be picking a leather. So many nice choices.

Extremely satisfied with these.
These look great! I'm interested in a pair of packers, in one of the more scuff-resistant leathers. I'm curious which toe shape this is. I'm also curious about how the heel-sole combination on the packers works for you. I believe the packers have the highest arch/heel-drop in the White's lineup... how are they for walking? How does that heel work out when you dress up a bit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads