• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@theofficialhung
Your feet might benefit from a combo last.
My feet are EE in the front and E in heels that’s why I can’t order the stitch down construction and have to opt for hand-sewn boots.
You mentioned your pinky toe is grazing the sides which makes me think your boots are narrow for your feet.
I would talk to Kyle and I am sure he could figure something out.
Good luck 👍

wordfool

Reaction score
So I had gotten a pair of stitch down cruisers a few weeks ago, and ultimately ended up returning them as the overall shape was more chunky than I thought it would be. I just received a pair of semi dress in brown cxl and really like them. The only thing I noticed was the back heel is uneven, with the left boot being perhaps 1/4” higher at the midpoint. Is this just a common happening with handmade boots, or something to be concerned about?

Even-looking heels is not a White's feature! Their bootmakers don't seem to be the most skilled at heel sanding/shaping and I don't think any of my heels are at all even around the midsole. Some higher, some lower, some sloped, some with big shelf, some with small shelf, and one pair actually has one heel about 1/8" shorter than the other... it's all part of the fun of buying handmade boots! :brick:

Last edited:

theofficialhung

Reaction score
Question about the dreaded squeaky heel - what does Bakers/Whites do to fix this problem? Is it just a resole or is it a complete rebuild?

I'm asking bc I think I was mis-sized on my Bounty Hunters and they have heel squeak. If Whites has to rebuild the boots anyways to get rid of the squeak, then I'm going to ask them to make my boots half a size larger while they're rebuilding.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
250 days later and still waiting for my order... I think maybe they're growing the bison up from a calf?

Annoyed GIF - Find on GIFER

Phalanx

Reaction score
@theofficialhung
Your feet might benefit from a combo last.
My feet are EE in the front and E in heels that’s why I can’t order the stitch down construction and have to opt for hand-sewn boots.
You mentioned your pinky toe is grazing the sides which makes me think your boots are narrow for your feet.
I would talk to Kyle and I am sure he could figure something out.
Good luck 👍
I didn't realise combo lasts cannot be crafted with stitchdown construction. I hope that doesn't mean they'll do away with them as my combo-lasted MP boots are the best fitting boots I've ever owned. Hopefully we'll get some warning in advance because I'll order a bunch of boots if that ever happens.

climbinglife

Reaction score
Question about the dreaded squeaky heel - what does Bakers/Whites do to fix this problem? Is it just a resole or is it a complete rebuild?

I'm asking bc I think I was mis-sized on my Bounty Hunters and they have heel squeak. If Whites has to rebuild the boots anyways to get rid of the squeak, then I'm going to ask them to make my boots half a size larger while they're rebuilding.

Warranty repair or not? Mine started under warranty and I was told they won't even try to see if a resole would fix it and just do a complete rebuild. I guess if you are out of warranty it could depend on what you are willing to spend and what they think when they get them back to inspect them.

DG123

Reaction score
250 days later and still waiting for my order... I think maybe they're growing the bison up from a calf?

Annoyed GIF - Find on GIFER

Once an item is paid for in full there is no incentive for the producer to produce within a reasonable time frame.

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't realise combo lasts cannot be crafted with stitchdown construction. I hope that doesn't mean they'll do away with them as my combo-lasted MP boots are the best fitting boots I've ever owned. Hopefully we'll get some warning in advance because I'll order a bunch of boots if that ever happens.
I have asked White’s if they have plans to abandon hand sewn construction.
Their reply was very promising and assured me they would never stop making hand sewn boots.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have asked White’s if they have plans to abandon hand sewn construction.
Their reply was very promising and assured me they would never stop making hand sewn boots.
That's a bummer - that's the bottleneck and an area of inconsistency!

Lonebull

Reaction score
We need details!
i already have 12 pairs of white's/wesco's...

first detail...custom bounty hunters....burgundy cxl#8....6"
black vibram christy sole
black thread on boot
yellow kevlar welt, single row stitching
semi dress last
medallion toe cap
single black midsole
roll top
black eyes & hooks

not exactly what i wanted. i wanted oxblood, but white's dont have oxblood. i had to settle for burgundy cxl #8

second detail...they cost more than my first car....true story..lol

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i already have 12 pairs of white's/wesco's...

first detail...custom bounty hunters....burgundy cxl#8....6"
black vibram christy sole
black thread on boot
yellow kevlar welt, single row stitching
semi dress last
medallion toe cap
single black midsole
roll top
black eyes & hooks

not exactly what i wanted. i wanted oxblood, but white's dont have oxblood. i had to settle for burgundy cxl #8

second detail...they cost more than my first car....true story..lol
Love the second detail (first detail is, of course, good). I hope you enjoy these boots more than your first car.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads