• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luscombe

Reaction score
5050, soft toe, #8. SD pattern. Very, very nice choices! They come together as a heck of a build.

Curious: anything special made you pick plain toe over the original brown with brogue cap?
Perhaps related question: Do you know who provided the shell leather for the rebuilds? I do not see shell cordovan as available option on Baker's site(nor White's).
The cap toes ripped off my last pair of SD's in shell and these were a replacement pair. So I wanted to avoid that problem and decided to go without a cap toe. I also wanted a lightweight build and a look that would compete with Vibergs. I think I achieved that.

I am not where the shell came from. It is pretty thin and flexible for shell, hence lighter in weight. It may be a custom order only through Bakers now. Whites had gotten away from shell in the past because it is prone to tear when they stretch it over the lasts. The Maryam HH leather on my Steven boots is a lot stiffer and thicker than the shell on these.

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered the MP Sherman boots in the CF Stead Crazy Cow. That leather looks incredible. Let the waiting begin :)
Enjoy them! 750$ I would’ve liked to see some veg tan wicket and Craig leathers

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stevens, 5050, Burgundy Horsehide for today.
20220822_181905.jpg
20220822_181942.jpg

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed something with my double midsole standard packers, after hitting them with obenauf's oil and letting them sit for a couple of days. They are now considerably more comfortable, even the double midsoles.
If I am not imagining this extra comfort lol, fellow members (if memory serves @klank74, @iamntbatman ) who own boots with double midsoles should give it a try.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I'll give it a whack if I can get my hands on some for a reasonable price. Sadly there's just not that much going on footwear-wise in Ireland; not many options for boots, shoe care products, or even cobblers.

climbinglife

Reaction score
I just crossed 16 weeks yesterday. The order is a re-make through Kyle and was told 20 weeks at the time.

If I squint I can remember 6-8 weeks in 2010 🤣

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have read excessive conditioning ( Saphir renovateur) could harm(?) the leather!
But how about these two products? I have a couple pairs of Burgundy HH and would like to keep them polished.
Saphir wax polish
and
Saphir mirror gloss wax polish

Luscombe

Reaction score
Stevens, 5050, Burgundy Horsehide for today.
View attachment 1824592 View attachment 1824593
I presume that you do not use the top hooks because of the ankle pinch? I have a pair of these in the Maryam Horse Butt and they are being difficult to break in. The top hook for me is a Hell No, I can't lace that up. I feel like the boot shaft is more narrow on these compared to the MP's.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I presume that you do not use the top hooks because of the ankle pinch? I have a pair of these in the Maryam Horse Butt and they are being difficult to break in. The top hook for me is a Hell No, I can't lace that up. I feel like the boot shaft is more narrow on these compared to the MP's.
Not really, these have broken in I think because the discomfort was initially coming from the arch and the 'standing on a ladder' feeling...this has now subdued that I feel nice and even support. The top hook is not used because it leaves a bit less laces for tying the Knot than I like. I can and certainly do use the top hook as well most often. Just depends how much of a hurry I am in in the morning!
Also this is my only pair of White's so do not have a comparison with MP.

Luscombe

Reaction score
Not really, these have broken in I think because the discomfort was initially coming from the arch and the 'standing on a ladder' feeling...this has now subdued that I feel nice and even support. The top hook is not used because it leaves a bit less laces for tying the Knot than I like. I can and certainly do use the top hook as well most often. Just depends how much of a hurry I am in in the morning!
Also this is my only pair of White's so do not have a comparison with MP.
Welcome to the White's journey. :) You will soon want another pair. I like the arch support on the Stevens and wish I would have opted for the Burgandy HH over the Maryam natural. My arches have conformed to my feet and are now comfortable. The upper leather is still very stiff. I am hoping that it will soften up with more wears.

Enjoy your boots, once you get your last and size dialed in, the fit is incredibly comforting, especially if you have high arches. My second choice boots are Aldens as they have a metal shank to provide some arch support. The wait on custom narrow widths is nearly a year though. Dialing in your fit there is a real challenge.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the White's journey. :) You will soon want another pair. I like the arch support on the Stevens and wish I would have opted for the Burgandy HH over the Maryam natural. My arches have conformed to my feet and are now comfortable. The upper leather is still very stiff. I am hoping that it will soften up with more wears.

Enjoy your boots, once you get your last and size dialed in, the fit is incredibly comforting, especially if you have high arches. My second choice boots are Aldens as they have a metal shank to provide some arch support. The wait on custom narrow widths is nearly a year though. Dialing in your fit there is a real challenge.
Indeed, I find myself looking at more White's but in urban Singapore I find Stevens to be the best design, everything else is too heavy amd chunky for my use, except maybe the MP on 5050 last which I will get at some point. Kyle at Bakers put me at 12.5EE in Stevens and I want to break them in fully before I go for the MP in 12.5EE (toes touching the walls of the toebox) or 13E/EE.

Alden Trubalance are my favourites and I am currently at 8 pairs of Indy Boots with 3 more on preorder with delivery sometime next year (to be determined!). 13E size makes me go the custom route only and rarely anything on the 2nd hand market.

Phalanx

Reaction score
My black Bounty Hunters. The shaft leans back quite far, getting them laced up to the top nice and tight is a real challenge.
Still gotta break them in so hoping it gets easier with time.

Looking good, what are the specifications?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads