• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
Can state definitively there is a difference between that type time and laboring in them.

Find myself quoting ... well ... myself.

The 10" black oil tan FRs were very comfortable after wearing for 4 or 5 weeks straight, so figured they were good to go ... only mild discomfort for the first hour of labor, then smooth sailing.

Hope everyone had a great Independence Day!

Cheers,

Phalanx

Reaction score
Like I said, WFH + British summer means I really haven't worn these as much as I'd like. Only about 50-60 hours in them so far but I've really been enjoying them.
1657182626624.png

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
Definitely understand boots + heat + humidity = usually not so much fun, so that's why we have short dress leather versions and heavy oil tan thick versions!

Here in the Rocky Mountain region, we are entering the "monsoon" flow season, so higher humidity and higher temps will be around for several weeks - we are expecting 100F this weekend and next.

My cycle (within reason) is to insure all these boots are broken in and functional for whatever may arise; that means suffering through some elevated conditions to get them where they need to be so I don't question my footwear when needed.

Today are the 690 Packers, 10" black oil tan RO, double midsole with steel toes.

They are attractive, classic tools with the wonderful aroma of leather!

Cheers,

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like I said, WFH + British summer means I really haven't worn these as much as I'd like. Only about 50-60 hours in them so far but I've really been enjoying them.
View attachment 1810290
Awe British summer! what part of Britain?
I am sure you can wear them and watch Ben Stokes, Joe Root and James Anderson play against India.

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
During a conversation last night with a cohort regarding typical mass of carry gear and any merits of decreasing said weight to minimize fatigue, we of course discussed our typical load-out footwear.

My point in training with and becoming accustomed to "normal" boot weight is not the strength-sapping detriment his argument was based on, e.g.: White's traditional leather versus the super light fabric versions so popular today.

If I were not used to wearing full leather boots and confident in their support, structure and durability, my 6'4" 250 pound frame might say otherwise. I'm sure there are many good synthetic boots on the market, many tools in the box, so to speak.

Was curious, so did a quick weigh-in using the family scale, so don't expect high precision, per pair:

-690 Packer, 10" black oil tan/RO, double midsole, steel toe, 430 sole = 8.2
-Hathorn RanchPacker, 8" red dog RO, single midsole, soft toe, 430 sole = 6.0
-Farmer Rancher, 10" black oil tan, single midsole, soft toe, 430 sole = 6.6
-Hathorn Insulated Hunter, 10" silicone red dog, single midsole, soft toe, honey vibram lug sole = 6.8

For everything we get, it doesn't seem like excessive weight to me.

Cheers,

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
During a conversation last night with a cohort regarding typical mass of carry gear and any merits of decreasing said weight to minimize fatigue, we of course discussed our typical load-out footwear.

Cheers,
It all depends on what you're comparing and the purpose. If I'm doing a 5 mile walk, a pair of light, synthetic, walking shoes with appropriate sole is more comfortable than any boots I have. And, since I do a 3 mile walk each day, it's a lot less expensive to use trainers and replace them yearly instead of re-soling shoes/boots.

If you're just talking about casual wear of boots like these vs. boots of a synthetic nature then, yes, the weight difference is minimized.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It all depends on what you're comparing and the purpose. If I'm doing a 5 mile walk, a pair of light, synthetic, walking shoes with appropriate sole is more comfortable than any boots I have. And, since I do a 3 mile walk each day, it's a lot less expensive to use trainers and replace them yearly instead of re-soling shoes/boots.

If you're just talking about casual wear of boots like these vs. boots of a synthetic nature then, yes, the weight difference is minimized.
What brand of footwear do you have for your daily walks?
Thanks

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What brand of footwear do you have for your daily walks?
Thanks
Currently, Hoka. But, I've also had Asics and New Balance in the past. Now, for a casual walk, my quality shoes/boots are just fine. But when the pace picks up, or the walk is longer then the difference is more pronounced. And, at say, $130 a pair - it's much cheaper to replace them then re-sole quality shoes/boots.

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently, Hoka. But, I've also had Asics and New Balance in the past. Now, for a casual walk, my quality shoes/boots are just fine. But when the pace picks up, or the walk is longer then the difference is more pronounced. And, at say, $130 a pair - it's much cheaper to replace them then re-sole quality shoes/boots.
Saucony makes really great exercise shoes for all sorts of activity’s I would highly recommend them if they fit you properly. The midsoles are extremley springy in the shoes with “Ultralight PWRRUN PB” They’re pretty amazing

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up 2 Bakers 65th anniversary T shirts in forest and taupe… no boots tho.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Took my MPs on a trip to Poland as my only boots and they served me well. Lots of miles on cobblestone streets, in the rain, walking around Auschwitz/Birkenau, meandering through a huge salt mine, etc.

Main complaints: while they're comfortable to walk in, my heels did get sore with lots of standing around, which is where I really missed the 55 last's arch support that distributes my weight evenly across the bottoms of my feet. Also, the non-gusseted tongue allowed for some water intrusion in really heavy rain. On the whole I would probably have been better off in my Bounty Hunters, but I wanted to put some miles on these and they did the job.

wordfool

Reaction score

A typical British summer would be perfect climate for those boots! Current brief heatwave aside, how often is the temperature over 25C during summer? Indeed, how often is the sun even visible?! :cool:

As a brit who has never really acclimatized to the ever more extreme US climates I've chosen as homes I'm currently enduring a NE summer where temperatures typically hover in the high 20s and low 30s until September (with regular jaunts into the humid mid-30s or higher), making even my dress leather SDs a no-no unless I'm sitting in AC all day or I fancy a bout of mild heatstroke. Wool socks are good, but they cannot defy the laws of thermodynamics.

I'm currently debating whether to wear my favorite bison BHs on a trip to blissfully cool SF later this week where the temp probably won't break 20C. Problem is, here in NYC the forecast temperature the day I fly is 35C so I'm debating whether I can tolerate limited exposure to that temperature wearing boots and jeans on the way to the airport or whether that would mean a six hour flight gently braising in my own stale sweat.

wordfool

Reaction score

My point in training with and becoming accustomed to "normal" boot weight is not the strength-sapping detriment his argument was based on, e.g.: White's traditional leather versus the super light fabric versions so popular today.

If I were not used to wearing full leather boots and confident in their support, structure and durability, my 6'4" 250 pound frame might say otherwise. I'm sure there are many good synthetic boots on the market, many tools in the box, so to speak.

Was curious, so did a quick weigh-in using the family scale, so don't expect high precision, per pair:

-690 Packer, 10" black oil tan/RO, double midsole, steel toe, 430 sole = 8.2
-Hathorn RanchPacker, 8" red dog RO, single midsole, soft toe, 430 sole = 6.0
-Farmer Rancher, 10" black oil tan, single midsole, soft toe, 430 sole = 6.6
-Hathorn Insulated Hunter, 10" silicone red dog, single midsole, soft toe, honey vibram lug sole = 6.8

Cheers,

I guess "excessive" is subjective. I think boots like White's are very heavy, and far heavier (probably at least twice as heavy) than your average pair of Timberlands, for example, which is what many people think of as "work boots". Even combat boots now are incredibly lightweight -- Danner's 8" military boots are typically less than 1.5lb per foot with the beefiest probably running at around 2lb, vs 3-4lb per foot for typical 8" White's boots.

I'm in awe of the folks here who hike in White's, and even those who walk long distances on flat ground in them, because having 4lb of weight swinging on the end of long pendulums (aka your legs) requires a lot of energy to control. So, much as I love my White's, I do think they are excessively heavy for many if not most activities, but obviously that's a very YMMV thing based on all sorts of factors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads