• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, exactly the opposite - the 690 Packers with a logger style heel (slightly curved vs flat sloping) in the as-designed height/geometry are the best boots I've ever put on my feet!

My high-arch feet are so happy - wish I would have tried the 690 last years ago ...

Was only wonder if others had tried tweaking the alchemy of White's Arch Ease.

Cheers,
I am a huge fan of 690 last as well! same feeling,I wish I had ordered earlier.
On my Bounty Hunters, Baker's recommended 1/4 extra lift on heels for a bit more arch support. It's still less than 690.

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
I am a huge fan of 690 last as well! same feeling,I wish I had ordered earlier.
On my Bounty Hunters, Baker's recommended 1/4 extra lift on heels for a bit more arch support. It's still less than 690.

Rating the arches, the feeling to my feet:

55 = 5, medium support
4811 = 7, stronger support
690 = 10, strongest support for the highest arches amongst us

Cheers,

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stevens on 5050 in Burgundy Horsehide via Bakers for today.
20220628_122239.jpg
20220628_122144.jpg
20220628_122207.jpg
20220628_122020.jpg

chicken1616

Reaction score
Thank you. That’s what I wound up using again. Cleaned them up yesterday, gave the edges a light sanding and put 3 coats resolene on them again.

What sole do you like for working on concrete? I have the 430 on this pair and the honey vibram on my second pair. I hardly wear the honey vibram pair because I screwed up and went with a double midsole on them and they just don’t have enough flexibility for what I do. I wear the 430’s much more frequently, but find them much more slick when climbing up on a truck that just came in from the rain or snow. Plus I find that I wish they had just a little bit more shock absorbtion when walking. I was thinking of going with the honey vibram on them too when the time comes, or the 100 white dot.
This time I have another pair of Hathorn electrical hazard w met guard( I had these stashed, not catalogued anymore) and a pair of Nick's Builder pro with the honey Vibram. Yes the honey Vibram does offer a noticeable amount of shock absorbing. Really don't like the color but it will black soon enough. Real question will be durability. Obviously probably won't last as long as the black 100's but , will have to wait and see. Don't have a met guard on the Nicks. Prefer one. Thanks for all the kind words everyone

chicken1616

Reaction score
While we are on the subject, I worked 3+ years in the Denver area for the RR. Pretty much all soles kinda suck on ice except the 269. The black 100's are really slippery. Best thing is have the slip on ice cleats.
The black 100's were really made for off road and don't offer much comfort etc for concrete. But they do last the longest. You simply have to run insoles. This will f up your sizing, so you have to be cognizant of that. I run insoles with rigid arch support. In my casual PNW boots, I have various Pedags, in the work boots, Power step Pinnacle Plus Met. Thinner but extra met padding. If you run Pedags Holidays or Minis you won't t have to worry about sizing.i have really gone away from higher tops.the Nick's are 10". Have 5 or 6 pairs of 8" and some 5"and 6". Just ordered a pair of 7 " Bounty Hunters. CXL upper and smooth black lowers. .possible work boots for a new job. Steel toe, 430, and dropped heel. I got on the phone with Baker's and was adamant about having the 430 heel. I can't stand the Quabag heels.Wear out way too quick.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
Yesterday was 95F and the newer 10" black oil tan FRs were toasty.

Today expected 94F, so cooling down with the 6" brown dress FRs - like wearing sandals!

After that, mid 80s for a few days and a switch to the 10" 690 Packers in smooth/RO black oil tan, double midsoles and steel toes - seems about right.

Cheers,

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday was 95F and the newer 10" black oil tan FRs were toasty.

Today expected 94F, so cooling down with the 6" brown dress FRs - like wearing sandals!

After that, mid 80s for a few days and a switch to the 10" 690 Packers in smooth/RO black oil tan, double midsoles and steel toes - seems about right.

Cheers,
Do you mostly work outdoors?
I am in the office, wearing red dog Packers today.

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
Do you mostly work outdoors?
I am in the office, wearing red dog Packers today.

Nice.

I spend time in both environments, so office, meetings, site visits and outdoor activities.

Is it just me, or do the black leathers (especially oil tan work leather) seem more thirsty compared to other colors?

Suspect this is due to the aggressive tanning process to achieve the black coloring and not the high desert climate here.

Cheers,

Last edited:

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@chicagoan2016 Yep, the bulge on the side seems more prominent due to the pose. These are 12.5EE but for the next pair, when I get to it, I might go for 13EE or 13E after discussing with Bakers. Might be able to use some more room in the toebox.

Abe_Room

Reaction score
@chicagoan2016 Yep, the bulge on the side seems more prominent due to the pose. These are 12.5EE but for the next pair, when I get to it, I might go for 13EE or 13E after discussing with Bakers. Might be able to use some more room in the toebox.
If these are EE, you can size up through bakers to F or FF. My boots still haven't arrived (been over 26 weeks now) but when they do I'll post a pic. I got em in 9.5 FF.

DG123

Reaction score

Which length size/width do you wear for Alden Indy boots ?

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which length size/width do you wear for Alden Indy boots ?
Alden Indy in Calf & Shell - US13E
Alden Indy in CXL & Suede - US13D works with the softer leathers assisting with the fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads