• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think we have the same soles … I’m waiting on your favorite boot brand with a honey lug. I’m pretty stoked to try that sole out
No, we don't, the soles you have were for a limited series boots, no longer available.

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, we don't, the soles you have were for a limited series boots, no longer available.
I wish they would do another limited series boot … then again I guess every bakers boot is a limited edition technically

Last edited:

Alaskaking

Reaction score
I think I need a pair of 100 lugs in my life. Do people who own them generally find them softer to walk around on hard surfaces than things like the 700, 430, commando, etc?
Of course you need a pair (not sure if you were looking for encouragement or justification on that one).
I think that there is likely a noticeable amount of “softness “ compared to the 430 or 700, the compound itself is softer in the hand and quieter on the foot…. But it’s not like switching to a sneaker soft. The thickness of the rubber can’t be ignored either- it does make the boot chunkier and a wee bit more unwieldy, not a ding per se, but worth keeping in mind.
the 100 sole I have is the “white dot” variety-it does make sub-zero temperatures tolerable- IE not fall on your butt tolerable - it is the only one that doesn’t turn into a flat ice skate at 31F.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course you need a pair (not sure if you were looking for encouragement or justification on that one).
I think that there is likely a noticeable amount of “softness “ compared to the 430 or 700, the compound itself is softer in the hand and quieter on the foot…. But it’s not like switching to a sneaker soft. The thickness of the rubber can’t be ignored either- it does make the boot chunkier and a wee bit more unwieldy, not a ding per se, but worth keeping in mind.
the 100 sole I have is the “white dot” variety-it does make sub-zero temperatures tolerable- IE not fall on your butt tolerable - it is the only one that doesn’t turn into a flat ice skate at 31F.
We all need more White's boots!

iamntbatman

Reaction score

Good to know that even the 100 white dot feels softer than the other options. I don't need another pair of White's right now, but when my OG bounty hunters eventually wear through the TPU commando sole, I think I'm going to get them rebuilt and have the 100 lugs put on.

DG123

Reaction score
I think I need a pair of 100 lugs in my life. Do people who own them generally find them softer to walk around on hard surfaces than things like the 700, 430, commando, etc?

Only on off road terrain do I wear my lug sole boots. For cement, wood, or other hard surfaces I find lug soles to be uncomfortable, slippery etc...

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
So think it's been about 6 weeks since putting in the last Packer submission and time seems to be flying.

To my utter surprise, received an email this afternoon stating my White's order had shipped!

Then I realized it was for the false tongues, laces and boot oil I forgot we ordered ...

Cheers,

So-33

Reaction score
White”s had a Popup Sale Fathers Day weekend. Saw this pair of Baker’s Bounty Hunters and they fit. Got them for a great price.
Called White’s to get build specs. They had very limited information but said it was a Baker’s Bounty Hunter Build.
Called Baker’s and they had the full order spec. sheet that they emailed me. I like the single stitch soles vs. the standard double stitch that White‘s builds. Makes them less bulky, easier wearing.
5529A6EF-8233-4CE3-B07B-6555E4BD7577.jpeg

iamntbatman

Reaction score
White”s had a Popup Sale Fathers Day weekend. Saw this pair of Baker’s Bounty Hunters and they fit. Got them for a great price.
Called White’s to get build specs. They had very limited information but said it was a Baker’s Bounty Hunter Build.
Called Baker’s and they had the full order spec. sheet that they emailed me. I like the single stitch soles vs. the standard double stitch that White‘s builds. Makes them less bulky, easier wearing.
View attachment 1806145
You can always request a single row of stitching on custom orders, fyi. Nice looking boots! Black CXL? Are those burgundy CXL heel counters?

iamntbatman

Reaction score
So, I don't think this has been addressed in this thread at all, but is probably something many of you would be interested in talking about.

You may remember that recently, a lot of the (relatively new) White's goodyear welted line have been put on sale on the White's site. The Main Street, First Avenue oxford, Otto Derby, and Kinney Chukka are all 30% off with very limited stock left. There are new GWY models, such as the successful Perry moc-toe, and now they've got the Hillyard, Millwood, and the new Timberland-looking Chore Boot. Very little chatter about any of those latter three in this thread; maybe they're just not our stuff.

Here's the kicker, though: word on the street is at least the uppers for all the newer GYW models are sewn in the Domincan Republic, then bottomed in the USA. Now, I was originally kind of a champion of boots like the Perry, as I thought, hey, if they can make a well-priced, well-built GYW moc-toe that was better than competitors' options and was MiUSA, good for them, they deserve the success. But if they're outsourcing labor for these new GYW boots to DR, that just doesn't sit as well with me.

(As an aside, I have nothing against products made in whatever countries, as long as labor standards are high and people are paid fair wages for their work. It's the act of outsourcing for no reason other than profit margins that bugs me, and I'd rather support American workers making a good wage doing honest work than have those jobs outsourced for the cheaper labor.)

We all know another American shoemaker who started outsourcing their work to DR, and look how far that brand has fallen. Hopefully the same doesn't happen for White's.

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
You may remember that recently, a lot of the (relatively new) White's goodyear welted line have been put on sale on the White's site. The Main Street, First Avenue oxford, Otto Derby, and Kinney Chukka are all 30% off with very limited stock left. There are new GWY models, such as the successful Perry moc-toe, and now they've got the Hillyard, Millwood, and the new Timberland-looking Chore Boot. Very little chatter about any of those latter three in this thread; maybe they're just not our stuff.

Here's the kicker, though: word on the street is at least the uppers for all the newer GYW models are sewn in the Domincan Republic, then bottomed in the USA. Now, I was originally kind of a champion of boots like the Perry, as I thought, hey, if they can make a well-priced, well-built GYW moc-toe that was better than competitors' options and was MiUSA, good for them, they deserve the success.

Personally, most of the "new" models simply don't appeal to me with the same gusto as the classic boots.

When I originally received their 2022 catalog, it blew me away they basically doubled the number of boot offerings without doubling the required work space to produce the product (don't think they expanded square footage).

How could they double their product count with the same (or similar) number of boot makers? Build times would skyrocket (oops) and throughput would suffer accordingly (additional factors at play here).

So, your observation makes more sense if they sub out the uppers for these models ala Thorogood (to the Amish), et al.

Most of those models do not allow customization (per the catalog) and are only offered in basic D and EE widths. This certainly limits the variations needed and simplifies the process.

I cannot put the new models in the same category Smoke Jumpers, Bounty Hunters, Packers, FRs and Semi-Dress boots.

I can appreciate them making a one stop shop for multiple tiers of needs/buyers and trying to grab a larger market share. They just have to be careful not to dilute the spirit of the company like Porsche did when they introduced all the non-911 models.

Cheers,

Last edited:

klank74

Reaction score
Any recommendations for what to treat the edges of my midsoles and heel stacks with on boots used for work as a diesel mechanic? I’ve been using Resolene on my casual stuff and it holds up great, but it really takes a beating on my work boots. I’m wondering if I’m better off just treating the midsole with obenaufs? I’ve heard good and bad about doing that, but wasn’t sure. These boots see lots of wear and contact with oil, grease, coolant, water, and occasionally mud.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
Here's the kicker, though: word on the street is at least the uppers for all the newer GYW models are sewn in the Domincan Republic, then bottomed in the USA. Now, I was originally kind of a champion of boots like the Perry, as I thought, hey, if they can make a well-priced, well-built GYW moc-toe that was better than competitors' options and was MiUSA, good for them, they deserve the success. But if they're outsourcing labor for these new GYW boots to DR, that just doesn't sit as well with me.
White's have commented directly on some of their boots being partly manufactured in the Dominican Republic, so it's more definitive than 'word on the street'. It isn't clear which product lines are affected though, and the wording of their response does prompt further questions;

"This boot [The Scout boot] is not rebuildable because the upper is partially machine made in the Dominican Republic.

Our hand sewn construction method won't match up to the thread patter [sic] of a machine."

This response seems to imply White's don't have a Goodyear welt machine in the USA, since the 'hand sewn construction method' that they advise is incompatible with the Dominican made boots refers to how the boot is welted. If so, does this mean all White's GYW boots are part-made in the Dominican Republic? Have they recently got rid of their Goodyear welt machine in the USA? Or if they do have a Goodyear welt machine in the USA, why are they saying the Scout Boot isn't rebuildable because the machinery to match the welt stitching is in the Dominican Republic?

Very curious.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
White's have commented directly on some of their boots being partly manufactured in the Dominican Republic, so it's more definitive than 'word on the street'. It isn't clear which product lines are affected though, and the wording of their response does prompt further questions;

"This boot [The Scout boot] is not rebuildable because the upper is partially machine made in the Dominican Republic.

Our hand sewn construction method won't match up to the thread patter [sic] of a machine."

This response seems to imply White's don't have a Goodyear welt machine in the USA, since the 'hand sewn construction method' that they advise is incompatible with the Dominican made boots refers to how the boot is welted. If so, does this mean all White's GYW boots are part-made in the Dominican Republic? Have they recently got rid of their Goodyear welt machine in the USA? Or if they do have a Goodyear welt machine in the USA, why are they saying the Scout Boot isn't rebuildable because the machinery to match the welt stitching is in the Dominican Republic?

Very curious.

Yeah, I think that makes sense. The fact that the Main Street, First Avenue Oxford, Otto Derby, and Kinney Chukka all seem essentially discontinued makes me think that these were the last of the MiUSA GYW models, and all of their GYW options are now made in DR (or at least, the uppers are sewn together there).

The Scout is actually a weird outlier here, as it is, as far as I can tell, the only GYW model currently being made by White's that doesn't have a unit sole. It would make some sense to sew the whole thing together somewhere cheap then just glue the unit soles on at the factory to finish them, but with that line they're still having to nail on a heel stack and contour the heel on a belt sander. Maybe it just saves them a ton of labor for all the other models.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads