• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FutureComesToday

Reaction score
Looks like another price jump with White's. Bounty Hunters through Baker's and 350 Cruiser/Cutters from White's are now $670.

In Dec 2021 prices were $600 per pair, which was a jump from $550/pair in June 2021. Before that, I think they were ~$480/pair in 2020. From $480 to $670 is 40% in ~2 years. This will change my buying habits.

I remember when BH's were $439. Those were the days.

Last edited:

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like another price jump with White's. Bounty Hunters through Baker's and 350 Cruiser/Cutters from White's are now $670.

In Dec 2021 prices were $600 per pair, which was a jump from $550/pair in June 2021. Before that, I think they were ~$480/pair in 2020. From $480 to $670 is 40% in ~2 years. This will change my buying habits.

I remember when BH's were $439. Those were the days.

That's hilarious. They stopped being worth it two or three price increases ago...

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's hilarious. They stopped being worth it two or three price increases ago...
Dude wtf is up with these price increases? 200$ increase in not even a year yet?

Attachments

• 0C641FA4-8821-452F-9F1A-834F1D4E2F48.jpeg
    0C641FA4-8821-452F-9F1A-834F1D4E2F48.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 40
  • DFA4CC15-FC1F-400F-A3D7-E9C4ECB16B39.jpeg
    DFA4CC15-FC1F-400F-A3D7-E9C4ECB16B39.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 7F6F2DAB-B77E-43DB-9468-70A33ED8BA66.jpeg
    7F6F2DAB-B77E-43DB-9468-70A33ED8BA66.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 56

Woodtroll

Reaction score

Yep, that's the truth, unfortunately. White's (or ABC, their Asian owners) wants to branch out and do all these fancy models of shoes and boots, then jacks their prices up at a crazy rate over the last 18-24 months, and also extends their wait times to six months or more, in some cases? I'm pleased with all the White's boots I own, although I'm disappointed that the last pair I got squeak like a screen door in a hurricane, but I'll be darned if I'll put up with price increases, longer delays, and drops in quality all at the same time. It seems White's has lost their focus. This is a real shame, but you could see it coming a couple years ago (except for the quality issues, which make it all the more disappointing).

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's the truth, unfortunately. White's (or ABC, their Asian owners) wants to branch out and do all these fancy models of shoes and boots, then jacks their prices up at a crazy rate over the last 18-24 months, and also extends their wait times to six months or more, in some cases? I'm pleased with all the White's boots I own, although I'm disappointed that the last pair I got squeak like a screen door in a hurricane, but I'll be darned if I'll put up with price increases, longer delays, and drops in quality all at the same time. It seems White's has lost their focus. This is a real shame, but you could see it coming a couple years ago (except for the quality issues, which make it all the more disappointing).
I am in the same boat, have enough number of White's boots to last me a long time.
Last year I asked what are the alternatives and we talked about other PNW brands. I don't have any info on quality control issues of other brands but I found out Viberg and Wesco don't offer the same arch support.

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The prices in 2020 were 539.99 for Bounty hunters and in early 2021 they increased the prices to $550.

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in the same boat, have enough number of White's boots to last me a long time.
Last year I asked what are the alternatives and we talked about other PNW brands. I don't have any info on quality control issues of other brands but I found out Viberg and Wesco don't offer the same arch support.
Even with whites price jumps it’s still a better boot for the price then what viberg will sell ya

Jimk4003

Reaction score
To be fair, the lead-times are beyond their control. There are backlogs in pretty much every manufacturing sector, and most bootmakers are running behind. I don't think we can blame White's for that, I'm sure they wish they could fulfill orders quicker too.

I agree that the price up/ quality down trend is problematic though.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
What year was that?
It's really hard to find old prices online, since websites continually update their pages to the latest pricing, but I've done a bit of digging.

A Wranglerstar YouTube video from 2013 entitled 'Where to buy proper boots' states that White's were about $400 at the time. Somewhat quaintly given current pricing, he acknowledges that this is a lot of money to spend on a pair of boots (but worth it). Since Wranglerstar's boot reviews predominantly focus on firefighting boots, he's probably talking about the Smokejumper, which retails from White's today for $625. That's a $225 increase, or in percentage terms, an increase of a little over 56% in around nine years.

In isolation, that doesn't really tell us much, since prices usually always go up over time; so I did a bit more digging to see how those increases compare to other boot companies that sit either side of White's price bracket.

Looking at an old Styleforum thread, the retail price for a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers in 2010 was $280. Today, the same boot is $349 from Red Wing. That's an increase of around $70 in twelve years; which is actually damn impressive all things considered. Red Wing have only increased their prices by a little under 25% over twelve years, compared to White's 56% increase over nine. Where a pair of White's may have run you around $100-$150 more than a pair of Red Wing's a decade ago, today they're around $300 more, or nearly double the price.

Looking above White's price point, a Stitchdown article tells us the Viberg Service Boot launched in 2010 for $595. Today, the same Chromexcel Service Boot sells on Viberg's website for $785. That's an increase of $190, or around 32%, over twelve years.

For reference, US inflation has been around 24% from 2013 (when Wranglerstar released his video) to today; so White's prices have increased at nearly double the rate of inflation in the last nine years. Inflation from 2010 to 2022 has been around 33%, so Red Wing have actually kept their pricing around 8% below inflation (kudos Red Wing) over that period. Viberg prices have, rather unimaginatively, stuck almost exactly in line with the rate of inflation from 2010 to today.

This is all really informal research, and apologies if any of my sources are off. From the information I can find, it's true to say that all boot companies have had to increase their prices over time, but White's prices are increasing at a dramatically faster rate than inflation, and are increasing faster than some of the brands they are priced between.

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Jimk4003 and it appears the biggest spike in White’s prices was in the last year or so, in 2020 Bounty Hunters were $539.99 and today they are $669.99.
I wonder why did the Inflation/pandemic hit White’s worse than competitors?
Only White’s has the answer!

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• 927F0C8D-5EB2-40B1-BA7D-C1427E15E91B.jpeg
    927F0C8D-5EB2-40B1-BA7D-C1427E15E91B.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 83

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads