• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to see everybody’s favorite pair of whites boots. I’m trying my best to put in a order this weekend so they arrive just in time for fall but I honestly have no clue what to order. People say the MP boot is “thick or bulbous” but I would think the 55 arche ease last would be even bigger?
You said you got your White’s in nine weeks?
Are you going to share the secret with us?

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You said you got your White’s in nine weeks?
Are you going to share the secret with us?
Yes that’s how long they took but this was 2 years ago so I don’t know if the lead times are any different nowadays. Just a stock cruiser stock brown work leather nothing fancy. 9 weeks it took to ship

Luscombe

Reaction score
I want to see everybody’s favorite pair of whites boots. I’m trying my best to put in a order this weekend so they arrive just in time for fall but I honestly have no clue what to order. People say the MP boot is “thick or bulbous” but I would think the 55 arche ease last would be even bigger?
My most favorite White's boot is a tough call.
These are photos of my boots. Each pair is very different from the other in terms of comfort and weight.
The top pair is most recent, Stevens 5050 last in Maryam Natty leather. I really like the look of this boot. The Maryam leather is very thick and stiff. These are proving to be a challenge to break in. They have commando soles with a rubber heel.
20220413_071207.jpg

These are my Bounty Hunters 5050 last soft toe, commando sole, British Tan CXL. These are my heaviest boots but also my most comfortable. The CXL leather was easy to break in, half a dozen wears, and the arch and leather were becoming like slippers. The tongues on these are sewn to the inside shafts of the boot, full height. I think they would be waterproof if you step into ankle-deep water.
20211031_154953.jpg

These are my MP's brown HH on the original MP last. They are comfortable but not as much as the BH on 5050 last. The 5050 last was not available when I got these. They had a Dainite sole when I got them and those were terrible. I had them re-soled with commando soles. The break-in process was a little more than the CXL BH's and the grain on the horsehide is really tight. The leather softens up nicely as you wear them. I love the look of the exterior heel counter and the overall boot style.
20191223_142636.jpg

This is a profile shot of the MP's vs the BH on 5050 last with a soft toe.
20211019_185538.jpg

20211019_185547.jpg

These are my BF 2020 SD's, dbl leather soles and #8 shell. The shell was a complimentary upgrade because they were out of burgundy horsehide. These originally arrived in June 2021. These have gone back as the caps ripped off, October 2021. They came back to me as a different build so those went back and I am waiting for these to get back to me. The current build will be 5050 last, dbl leather soles, soft toes and no caps. These boots are pretty heavy with the dbl soles. They are/were comfortable with the dbl soles but quite a challenge to break them in.
20210701_190642.jpg

Now that I know the 5050 last is a good fit for me and they are available on the MP's, my next build will be a 5050 MP. The BH are a great fit and I love the look of them but for my purposes, they are a bit overkill. The MP's are more appropriate for my work needs.

So, I guess my pick for a favorite boot for my work needs would be the MP 5050 last with a soft toe and a medallion toe cap. Right now I am leaning towards brown bison for that boot.

I hope this helps you make up your mind. It took me a while to dial in my fit, size, and last. Kyle at Bakers is a great resource. The time spent waiting for these was worth every day! :)

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope this helps you make up your mind. It took me a while to dial in my fit, size, and last. Kyle at Bakers is a great resource. The time spent waiting for these was worth every day! :)
I am glad you are happy :)

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
Congrats, but "warm weather"? How warm are we talking? If I wore those on a NE summer day I'd be dead from heatstroke before sundown!

Here in Colorado (high desert) we normally don't suffer humidity like the East Coast experiences.

Last week was mid and high 80s, with a hit to 90, but the snow storm over the weekend cooled us down.

90s are no problem here but over 100 gets to me anymore - the key is pairing up with real 100% merino wool socks in the proper weight.

Cheers,

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here in Colorado (high desert) we normally don't suffer humidity like the East Coast experiences.

Last week was mid and high 80s, with a hit to 90, but the snow storm over the weekend cooled us down.

90s are no problem here but over 100 gets to me anymore - the key is pairing up with real 100% merino wool socks in the proper weight.

Cheers,
Definitely merino socks!
Do you buy Darn tough?
They have up to 79% merino socks, not sure if there is a brand that offers 100% merino?

andy b.

Reaction score
Definitely merino socks!
Do you buy Darn tough?
They have up to 79% merino socks, not sure if there is a brand that offers 100% merino?
I was just talking to a woman about merino wool over Mother's Day weekend. She sells wool and said the merino is so soft that 100% merino will pill up like crazy if it isn't mixed with something coarser and more durable.

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
Definitely merino socks!
Do you buy Darn tough?

I have multiple pairs of the Darn Tough, but find they have too much synthetic (you can really tell when working) and are too thick for warmer weather (at least the local options are).

My preference is Ice Breaker first and foremost - scored a bunch of these on closeout from a local sporting goods store a number of years back - and they rock! When the heavier weight versions eventually wear "thin" they magically turn into summer socks.

I really hunt for 90+ percent if possible, but the choices are slim these days. They 85%+ brands are night and day different!

I was just talking to a woman about merino wool over Mother's Day weekend. She sells wool and said the merino is so soft that 100% merino will pill up like crazy if it isn't mixed with something coarser and more durable.

I heard the old school 100% wool had a small percentage of coarse wool added to the merino to keep things structured, but not sure if that was true or is still true (I'm no fabric expert).

All I know is my wife thinks I'm a boot snob, a sock snob and a Pendleton freak geek.

Cheers,

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have multiple pairs of the Darn Tough, but find they have too much synthetic (you can really tell when working) and are too thick for warmer weather (at least the local options are).

My preference is Ice Breaker first and foremost - scored a bunch of these on closeout from a local sporting goods store a number of years back - and they rock! When the heavier weight versions eventually wear "thin" they magically turn into summer socks.

I really hunt for 90+ percent if possible, but the choices are slim these days. They 85%+ brands are night and day different!

I checked Icebreaker website, I couldn't find any socks with more than 66% merino!

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
I checked Icebreaker website, I couldn't find any socks with more than 66% merino!

Yes, noticed that ratio a couple of years ago when looking to bolster the sock drawer ... disappointing to say the least.

WigWam, Ascent, SmartWool, and many other still offer much higher percentages these days.

Cheers,

Last edited:

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
Now that the snow is over (just this last weekend!), did an end of season cleaning and oiling on the winter boots (Hathorn version of White's 306CI) before putting them up for the summer.

These have been absolutely terrific winter boots, from the 30s down to -5 so far, they eat through the snow and slop and keep my feet very comfortable.

Build date 2017 and they are still going strong!

Cheers,
IMG_2947.jpg

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that the snow is over (just this last weekend!), did an end of season cleaning and oiling on the winter boots (Hathorn version of White's 306CI) before putting them up for the summer.

These have been absolutely terrific winter boots, from the 30s down to -5 so far, they eat through the snow and slop and keep my feet very comfortable.

Build date 2017 and they are still going strong!

Cheers,
View attachment 1795617
I think White's doesn't make this model anymore?

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
I think White's doesn't make this model anymore?

Think you are correct, chicagoan2016, the 310HVI Hathorn version is not found on a search.

Only seeing the Model 306-CI-HV 10" Insulated Hunter for an eye-watering $706 on their site and no mention in the 2022 edition catalog, either.

I know there are still Hathorn (stitchdown, not goodyear welt) models going under different names - the Model 208MV "Stockman" is a good example. Wonder if you contacted them directly if it is still available?

Cheers,

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think you are correct, chicagoan2016, the 310HVI Hathorn version is not found on a search.

Only seeing the Model 306-CI-HV 10" Insulated Hunter for an eye-watering $706 on their site and no mention in the 2022 edition catalog, either.

I know there are still Hathorn (stitchdown not goodyear welt) models going under different names - the Model 208MV "Stockman" is a good example. Wonder if you contacted them directly if it is still available?

Cheers,
You are right, the stockman is stitch down construction that’s how White’s competitors build their boots lol.
I think I am done ordering boots for a little while.
Kyle is building me a black HH boot in 690 last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads