• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scooterputtputt

Reaction score
So, for the last few months I have been wearing 690/695 boots. This morning I switched back to my old bounty hunters and man do I feel like these boots have no arch support.
I should have tried 690/695 last before I decided to order four pairs of Bounty Hunters. Well, what do they say "You live, you learn" :)
Same here brother! Would gladly exchange any last for a 690-695. Fell into one of each from a distinguished member here. Snagged a vintage 695 whites also. Interesting enough, all three are my brannock size. Where as it’s usually half size down on other lasts. Was under the assumption you sized down even more on the packers. Memory serves me right, your also a brannock 12d right?

Jimk4003

Reaction score
Dude, I am overdue for a visit to UK!
When you make it over, and given the topic we've just been discussing, I'd highly recommend a visit to Aero Leathers in Galashiels in the Scottish borders.

I dropped in yesterday to try some leather jackets out, and it was awesome. It's a tiny little factory down a lane, and when you go in, you can see all the workers sat at their tables cutting the leather and sewing the jackets together.

I was in the showroom getting fitted by Denny (the son of the founder who now runs the place, and a genuinely nice man), and when I'd settled on the style I liked, he disappeared off to see if he could find any more models in my size. Five minutes later, he comes back holding a beautiful black horsehide Chromexcel jacket in my size, and says, 'this one's literally just been finished, do you want to try it on?'

It fitted perfectly, so I decided that fate was trying to tell me something, and bought it there and then. When I went to pay, the jacket was so fresh out of production they hadn't even priced it up yet!

Awesome experience, and Aero make world renowned leather jackets. I'd definitely recommend a visit if you're over here and looking for a fun leather/ menswear experience.

Scooterputtputt

Reaction score
I hope fellow members won’t take offense to this but there is a tiny amount of “misinformation” on this thread :)

One is about how different lasts fit, I say go ahead and try 690/695 lasts if you have super high arched feet and don’t worry about the fit. Kyle Baker and Brandon Baker’s skills are second to none!

The other is about CXL leather and my point of view is based on
1) I couldn't find a single pic of White's boots in CXL with bad clicking. Of course! I don't mind being proven wrong lol
2) One might say CXL is CXL but that's not correct and although I have CXL boots from only two companies, White's and Allen Edmonds. The CXL White's uses is different and thicker (better?) than Allen Edmonds!! Allen Edmonds lines their CXL too and their CXL is not bad but White's' CXL belongs to a different league.
Seems you mentioned before your horsehide has developed more creasing than the cxl right? Have thought of that as my bounty Hunter burgundy horse has broken in. Very little creasing on these, but still unusually stiff.

Scooterputtputt

Reaction score
When you make it over, and given the topic we've just been discussing, I'd highly recommend a visit to Aero Leathers in Galashiels in the Scottish borders.

I dropped in yesterday to try some leather jackets out, and it was awesome. It's a tiny little factory down a lane, and when you go in, you can see all the workers sat at their tables cutting the leather and sewing the jackets together.

I was in the showroom getting fitted by Denny (the son of the founder who now runs the place, and a genuinely nice man), and when I'd settled on the style I liked, he disappeared off to see if he could find any more models in my size. Five minutes later, he comes back holding a beautiful black horsehide Chromexcel jacket in my size, and says, 'this one's literally just been finished, do you want to try it on?'

It fitted perfectly, so I decided that fate was trying to tell me something, and bought it there and then. When I went to pay, the jacket was so fresh out of production they hadn't even priced it up yet!

Awesome experience, and Aero make world renowned leather jackets. I'd definitely recommend a visit if you're over here and looking for a fun leather/ menswear experience.
That’s a beautiful story! Got to love it when it’s meant to be. Now, some black horsehide packers to go with it. Right chicagoan2016!

Percivilla

Reaction score
It's wild how much variation CXL can have.

I've had the following:

Wolverine 1k from around 2011: Really thin, every piece of the boot seemingly had a different temper and creased differently. Some really bad creasing on some of the pieces. Not a supportive boot, they were like wearing a leather bag on your foot.

Viberg 2030 Color #8 from around 2012: THICK and absolutely perfect clicking. No bad creasing anywhere. Unfortunately they killed my big toes due to the 2030 shape and had to sell.

Whites MP olive waxed flesh from 2020: Thick and consistent, no bad creasing inside the boot (smooth side).

Viberg 1035 Natural waxed flesh from 2022: Not as thick as the White's or my old #8 2030's, but still pretty thick. Feels "stretcher" than the White's. Flesh out side is "nicer"? than the whites, it's shinier, smoother and harder. Doesn't even really look like waxed flesh. Inside has some bad CXL creasing but at least it's on the inside.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
It's wild how much variation CXL can have.

I've had the following:

Wolverine 1k from around 2011: Really thin, every piece of the boot seemingly had a different temper and creased differently. Some really bad creasing on some of the pieces. Not a supportive boot, they were like wearing a leather bag on your foot.

Viberg 2030 Color #8 from around 2012: THICK and absolutely perfect clicking. No bad creasing anywhere. Unfortunately they killed my big toes due to the 2030 shape and had to sell.

Whites MP olive waxed flesh from 2020: Thick and consistent, no bad creasing inside the boot (smooth side).

Viberg 1035 Natural waxed flesh from 2022: Not as thick as the White's or my old #8 2030's, but still pretty thick. Feels "stretcher" than the White's. Flesh out side is "nicer"? than the whites, it's shinier, smoother and harder. Doesn't even really look like waxed flesh. Inside has some bad CXL creasing but at least it's on the inside.
I think that's CXL in a nutshell; Horween acknowledge that it's prone to creasing, and there's nothing the clicker can do to change the natural traits of the leather. It's not a 'defect', it's just something the leather does from time-to-time.

I've had the waxed flesh on my MP's crease pretty heavily, but like you say, it's on the inside anyway.

Scooterputtputt

Reaction score

Attachments

• D43A4A12-FF73-4D84-805E-7C5B695A0A1A.png
    D43A4A12-FF73-4D84-805E-7C5B695A0A1A.png
    627.1 KB · Views: 44
  • A4E5E6B9-2B88-4988-9A86-C99ECC8D10DF.png
    A4E5E6B9-2B88-4988-9A86-C99ECC8D10DF.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
  • BE85A158-04E4-4132-8847-7005C25B4F21.png
    BE85A158-04E4-4132-8847-7005C25B4F21.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 117

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same here brother! Would gladly exchange any last for a 690-695. Fell into one of each from a distinguished member here. Snagged a vintage 695 whites also. Interesting enough, all three are my brannock size. Where as it’s usually half size down on other lasts. Was under the assumption you sized down even more on the packers.
I am down the 690/695 rabbit hole already! Waiting on some Burgundy pointed toe packers.

Memory serves me right, your also a brannock 12d right?
My feet are weird, my left foot is 12.5EE and right is just under 12.5EE. Baker's sized me 12E with combo last.
I will look at my packers and pointed toe packers box this evening, wanted to make sure If I am the same size.

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems you mentioned before your horsehide has developed more creasing than the cxl right? Have thought of that as my bounty Hunter burgundy horse has broken in. Very little creasing on these, but still unusually stiff.
Yes my burgundy HH bounty hunters.
I love that HH doesn't stretch much if at all. It pretty much stays the same.
My work leathers (brown and red dog) and British tan cxl have stretched but not in a bad way.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Definitely Scotland this time, have only been to London and Birmingham, I probably mentioned a few days ago that I would love to work/live in the UK for a little while.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a beautiful story! Got to love it when it’s meant to be. Now, some black horsehide packers to go with it. Right chicagoan2016!
You are psychic, brother! I am talking to Kyle about Black HH bounty hunters which I am going to change to 690 last lol

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which one did you get?
Aero leather jackets

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads