• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it all depends on what kind of horse we’re talking about. I’m always hesitant on ordering HH from bakers because I don’t think I would like horweens cxl HH if that’s what it is. I’m just not that big of a horween fan in general. I know they offer maryam HH tho.
I am half asleep 😂
But who makes Latigo?

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could never convince myself why should I pay $200 for Thursday when I could pay the same amount or less for American made Allen Edmonds?
Not to poke fun but how do compare Thursday to White’s when we talk about value to price?
Personally, I think White's offers the strongest value for price paid. I have the same issue with my Whites as I do my AEs and that's their lack of flexible aesthetic. I like the MP, but it's still not a refined boot. It still looks out of place in a traditional office (I have been looking at the Stevens a lot, but I still don't think it fits). I love my AE dress shoes, easily my preferred go to. My few pairs of boot from them however, have been pretty disappointing overall and have really not held up well. All my AE boots look worse than my Thursdays, and the AE have only done office and commuting duty and received more care. I have zero confidence in them to deal with half the things I have done to my Thursdays, and come out in even reasonable shape.

Keep in mind AE retail is in the $400 (acknowledging no one pays retail and sales get you into the low $300). Looks like even through Shoebank, your still $279 for AE boot seconds. Again, when discussing a $200 budget, it's almost a third more expensive. Not an equivalent comparison.

If the made in USA is a hill you want to die on, good for you. I frankly couldn't give a rats ass where something is made, if it means I get a good product for a reasonable price. If you're only going to buy US made goods, you're going to miss out on a lot of quality items from a lot of areas around the world.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys over here are so weird it’s nauseating.. I want to help you overcome this stigma that you have to wait 7-8 months for good boots. It took me 9 weeks to get my whites boots and this is a whites thread so technically I’m doing nothing wrong by participating in this thread. “That’s the kid with his 9 week shipped whites coming to hijack our thread with nicks BS when I forgot I was the one who asked the nicks question a page ago” everybody get your pitchforks! He hates bakers ! :fu:
@brandonboot
It appears you aren’t upset anymore but I guess we can laugh about it.
I found that post to be the most hilarious on this thread 😂

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, for the last few months I have been wearing 690/695 boots. This morning I switched back to my old bounty hunters and man do I feel like these boots have no arch support.
I should have tried 690/695 last before I decided to order four pairs of Bounty Hunters. Well, what do they say "You live, you learn" :)

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
So, for the last few months I have been wearing 690/695 boots. This morning I switched back to my old bounty hunters and man do I feel like these boots have no arch support.
I should have tried 690/695 last before I decided to order four pairs of Bounty Hunters. Well, what do they say "You live, you learn" :)

You, my friend, speak the truth!

If only I had known what the 690/695 Packers would do for me before ordering all those 4811 boots!

I thought they were super pointy toes and my feet wouldn't fit, and simply was never exposed to them ... to my detriment.

Never have I had more solid arch/foot support with plenty of wiggle room for my toes!

Did recently put in new order for another 690 Packer, to satisfy the role these boots have demonstrated.

Perhaps if I ran across this forum years earlier?

Cheers,

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You, my friend, speak the truth!

If only I had known what the 690/695 Packers would do for me before ordering all those 4811 boots!

I thought they were super pointy toes and my feet wouldn't fit, and simply was never exposed to them ... to my detriment.

Never have I had more solid arch/foot support with plenty of wiggle room for my toes!

Did recently put in new order for another 690 Packer, to satisfy the role these boots have demonstrated.

Perhaps if I ran across this forum years earlier?

Cheers,
I hope fellow members won’t take offense to this but there is a tiny amount of “misinformation” on this thread :)

One is about how different lasts fit, I say go ahead and try 690/695 lasts if you have super high arched feet and don’t worry about the fit. Kyle Baker and Brandon Baker’s skills are second to none!

The other is about CXL leather and my point of view is based on
1) I couldn't find a single pic of White's boots in CXL with bad clicking. Of course! I don't mind being proven wrong lol
2) One might say CXL is CXL but that's not correct and although I have CXL boots from only two companies, White's and Allen Edmonds. The CXL White's uses is different and thicker (better?) than Allen Edmonds!! Allen Edmonds lines their CXL too and their CXL is not bad but White's' CXL belongs to a different league.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
2) One might say CXL is CXL but that's not correct and although I have CXL boots from only two companies, White's and Allen Edmonds. The CXL White's uses is different and thicker (better?) than Allen Edmonds!! Allen Edmonds lines their CXL too and their CXL is not bad but White's' CXL belongs to a different league.
Nick Horween has explained in the past that CXL is graded on the same two characteristics that virtually every leather is graded on; weight, and usable area per hide.

The customer picks the weight, or thickness, they need, and then pays for a hide which has been graded for cutable area using the SATRA system. That is to say, a 5oz hide graded to have 90% cutable area may cost more than a 5oz hide with only 70% cutable area, and a 6oz hide with 80% cutable area may cost more than a 4oz hide with 80% cutable area; but as long as the clickers only use the good portions of the hide, two end products made with the same weight of leather would be identical (or as 'identical' as leather products can be).

It's entirely possible that some lower-end manufacturers buy cheaper hides with less usable area, and then use the bad areas anyway to save money, which might give the impression of there being different 'grades' of CXL from a quality perspective. But Horween have been pretty clear that the notion that there are different quality levels of CXL is the stuff of internet folklore; it all goes through the exact same process, and gets sorted for weight and cutable area before being dispatched to the customer.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The customer picks the weight, or thickness, they need, and then pays for a hide which has been graded for cutable area using the SATRA system.
Does it mean CXL comes in different weights? If memory serves, Kyle has mentioned in the past White's CXL is 5-6oz.
The Allen Edmonds CXL I have/had seems thinner.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
Does it mean CXL comes in different weights? If memory serves, Kyle has mentioned in the past White's CXL is 5-6oz.
The Allen Edmonds CXL I have/had seems thinner.
It does. According to Horween, it's available in weight ranges from two to ten ounces.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Discussing?
Dude, I am overdue for a visit to the UK!
Last time my flight back to Chicago was from London in 2016 and I think the date was December 18. The plane was full of retired English folks coming to visit their kids and grand kids in the US

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics