• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I‘m on the fence regarding my choice of SD leather. I’m split between Tan Latigo or Veg tanned. I want a leather that that won’t get too dark with time. Hoping to roughly land in the “caramel/dark amber patina” as opposed to the “chocolate/dark brown patina”. While Tan Lat. looks gorgeous initially, I’m not sure how much it darkens over time. Right now, my lean is to Veg tan but would love others’ input.

Thanks

Tan Oiled Latigo fits your description better. It gets lighter over time rather than darkening. Neither will get "too dark" with time unless you are careless with product application.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
believe the Latigo is combo tanned … you have it. Does it feel like CXL?

Not sure what you mean by combo tanned. As for CXL I do have a pair of Chromepak SD's. W&C's Oiled Latigo is a completely different animal & feels nothing like it.

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by combo tanned. As for CXL I do have a pair of Chromepak SD's. W&C's Oiled Latigo is a completely different animal & feels nothing like it.
That makes me happy to hear… online I was reading it was combination tanned, chrome then veg for the latigo. a lot of contradicting information you can find about specific leather and how it’s tanned online that opened a can of worms for me earlier over in the other thread. Hope that w&c dude does stop by

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
That makes me happy to hear… online I was reading it was combination tanned, chrome then veg for the latigo. a lot of contradicting information you can find about specific leather and how it’s tanned online that opened a can of worms for me earlier over in the other thread. Hope that w&c dude does stop by

There is an article online about Latigo tanned leather that describes it as veg & chrome tanned which is the root of this confusion (guilty 🙋🏻‍♂️). All W&C leathers start veg tanned & they do not use chromium. period. I only know this because I heard it straight from the horses mouth (no pun intended?).

It’s a mortal sin to wait 30 weeks for a boot and then saturate it with a product.

could not possibly agree more! in fact, the HMFIC at W&C told me essentially the same thing today about their Oiled Latigo

Implacable

Reaction score
Tan Oiled Latigo fits your description better. It gets lighter over time rather than darkening. Neither will get "too dark" with time unless you are careless with product application.
Thanks, this is good news I wasn’t expecting. Exactly to spec for me.

Implacable

Reaction score
There is an article online about Latigo tanned leather that describes it as veg & chrome tanned which is the root of this confusion (guilty 🙋🏻‍♂️). All W&C leathers start veg tanned & they do not use chromium. period. I only know this because I heard it straight from the horses mouth (no pun intended?).

could not possibly agree more! in fact, the HMFIC at W&C told me essentially the same thing today about their Oiled Latigo
Thanks Hoppy,

I’ll go ahead and post this explanation video from a different tannery to muddy the waters further. 😃

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So when I said earlier that I read contradicting statements on the latigo leather in particular this is what I meant. Some sites would say it’s chrome and veg tanned yet I know that w&c NEVER chrome tans anything. Also on websites like nicks boots it says VEG TAN oiled latigo. I’d be curious to see pictures of the roughout of the oiled tan latigo. In my experience with some other veg tanned leathers the r/o was very “natural” almost “prickly” and bone white in color.. chrome tan leather seem to be “fuzzy” and sometimes are the same color as the smooth side of whatever leather it is. My pending order is oiled tan latigo. After these conversations here I’m pretty confident my impression is it’s going to feel like most other veg tanned leather?

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
After these conversations here I’m pretty confident my impression is it’s going to feel like most other veg tanned leather?

It's wild how much "veg tan" can vary. Sometimes its soft as butter out of the gate & stretches like mad & on the extreme end its stiff as a board and just never actually "breaks in". W&C Latigo definitely falls on the latter end in the best sort of way,

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have thought of buying Latigo Bounty hunters when the “tan” Latino was available but always ended up ordering HH.
Reading these posts I think I might have missed out?
How do you compare Latigo to HH?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would re-buy my Thursdays multiple times for $200. I still put more wears on them than any other boot I own. As @LA Guy mentioned with his Vans, they are lightweight and comfortable. I've cared for them the same as my other footwear and while not beat, they have certainly seen several adverse conditions and keep plugging along.

I wouldn't presume to tell anyone that $200 isn't a lot of money...it is. But in a world where Nikes are $100-$150 and most fashion footwear is about the same, I don't find $200 to be a bridge too far. Marketing campaigns for many products suck and are usually exaggerations and cherry picked positive experiences. It's taken me a long time to accept that and set it aside and determine the value of a product myself. No they aren't close to my Vibergs or Whites. They are a perfectly venerable, inexpensive boot that I have enjoy a lot and plays a welcomed role in my footwear arsenal. When I consider value to price, my Thursdays are a much better value than the Vibergs.
I could never convince myself why should I pay $200 for Thursday when I could pay the same amount or less for American made Allen Edmonds?
Not to poke fun but how do compare Thursday to White’s when we talk about value to price?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having shopped for both brand, I've stumbled across posts that felt like the opposite of that...

For example here is Stoic Sasquatch, merch manager at Nick's mentionning he actually owns five pairs of White's and making a nuanced observation of them. Here he is also complimenting Bakers.

Here the owner of Nick's is actually recommending GS, mentioning White's and actually apologizing when recommending his own product.

Not trying to call you out, but perhaps it's a bit more nuanced than you make it out to be...
In the past Sasquatch had tried to pass an “infomercial” as a third party review on Reddit.
After he argued me for a while he removed it.
I will try to find the link, I am on central time and about to hit the hay.

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have thought of buying Latigo Bounty hunters when the “tan” Latino was available but always ended up ordering HH.
Reading these posts I think I might have missed out?
How do you compare Latigo to HH?
I think it all depends on what kind of horse we’re talking about. I’m always hesitant on ordering HH from bakers because I don’t think I would like horweens cxl HH if that’s what it is. I’m just not that big of a horween fan in general. I know they offer maryam HH tho.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads