• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wordfool

Reaction score
Any recommendations about athletic shoes with arch support?
I walk in my White's boots for exercise. I tried a few brands Nike, Sketchers etc. Nothing was as comfortable as White's.
May be there is a premium brand of athletic shoes I am not aware of?

Go to a good, specialized running store and have them do a proper foot measurement and gait analysis. Proper running shoes come with all sorts of patterns of support, from minimalist to full motion control, and every brand has its own design/fit quirks that a good retailer will know about. And in all cases you can remove the standard insert and put any retail or custom insert you want into the shoe. For example, I run in Mizuno motion control shoes with custom-molded inserts in them. They are as supportive and far, far more comfortable than any pair of White's, not least because they're featherweight by comparison.

Cheap, off the shelf sneakers tend to be pretty terrible in many ways and might not be the best design for your particular foot or gait. Think of what you went through with Baker's to get your White's properly sized and fitted, then expect to do the same to get similarly well-fitted athletic shoes. I love my many pairs of White's boots, don't get me wrong, but their arch support is best described as "old skool" and having close to 4lb of weight swinging at the end of each leg is not the best option for a lot of walking!

Last edited:

DG123

Reaction score
My broader point is simply that outside of specific conditions, we wear these boots for aesthetic reasons.

Please speak for yourself. I suffer from back pain and wear welted footwear-with-shank construction because same provides support and benefits to posture not available from cement construction footwear.

theofficialhung

Reaction score
Anybody have a pair of wesco Romeo’s? They look like a cooler croc alternative to me. I wonder if they are just as comfortable after some break in. Need a “shoe/boot” like that for the summer.

These are veg tan Romeos in size 8.5E. Sizing is tricky though. I'm a brannock 9.5D/E and these were a tough break in, I thought I sized wrong since they felt loose but now that they're broken in they're snug on foot and almost too short.

Edit: the Romeos aren't anywhere near as close to being as comfy as Crocs, they're super heavy on foot which can feel awkward at times for example. In my opinion there is no footwear I've ever experienced that can match the comfort of Crocs.

PXL_20220317_155818349.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220324_184638812.jpg
    PXL_20220324_184638812.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20220317_155740918.jpg
    PXL_20220317_155740918.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20220317_161010347.jpg
    PXL_20220317_161010347.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please speak for yourself. I suffer from back pain and wear welted footwear-with-shank construction because same provides support and benefits to posture not available from cement construction footwear.
I don’t think welted footwear’s saving my back pain. I wouldn’t dare wear a boot like the ones posted here to work. Not saying they wouldn’t hold up. It would just be completely unnecessary

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are veg tan Romeos in size 8.5E. Sizing is tricky though. I'm a brannock 9.5D/E and these were a tough break in, I thought I sized wrong since they felt loose but now that they're broken in they're snug on foot and almost too short.

Edit: the Romeos aren't anywhere near as close to being as comfy as Crocs, they're super heavy on foot which can feel awkward at times for example. In my opinion there is no footwear I've ever experienced that can match the comfort of Crocs.

View attachment 1791632
I wouldn’t think these would be as heavy as you described just by looking at them but I’ll take your word on it. Maybe I need a pair of crocs :lol:

Jimk4003

Reaction score
I do too. But I think that would count as one of the 'specific conditions' qualified in the post you quoted.

That said, 'comfort' is context dependent, as well as subjective. I don't go running, or to the gym, in PNW boots; just as I don't walk to the pub in my gym kit.

The great thing about these boots is that they're supportive boots that are durable, repairable, and don't look like ****. I find wearing, say, hiking boots, to be just as good for my back (better in some ways); but they simply don't look very good with a casual outfit, and once they're worn out, they're only good for throwing away.

Last edited:

DG123

Reaction score
I don’t think welted footwear’s saving my back pain. I wouldn’t dare wear a boot like the ones posted here to work. Not saying they wouldn’t hold up. It would just be completely unnecessary

Regarding labor work my perspective is that boots with heels are appropriate for off road terrain such as loggers and wild land firefighters encounter. For labor work trades performed on a hard surface floor, boots with a wedge sole make good sense.

DG123

Reaction score
Anybody have a pair of wesco Romeo’s? They look like a cooler croc alternative to me. I wonder if they are just as comfortable after some break in. Need a “shoe/boot” like that for the summer.

If you are looking for a relatively light weight "shoe/boot" I've found that the Wolverine 1000 Mile matches that description.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
For lighter options, you also can't really go wrong with moccasins. I have a pair of Rancourt ranger mocs in the flint kudu suede. Super lightweight, breathable, fit like a dream. Definitely my go-to warm-weather shoes. For cooler weather if I want something lightweight that's comfy for walking around in all day in more urban environments, my Maine Mountain Moccasin field boots* (with the Vibram 2060 sole) are great. The combo of the double vamp and that squishy sole make them super comfy while also being really lightweight.

*MMM went out of business. The Rancourt Harrison boot would be a good alternative.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
Got an email about this blog post and loved reading it
History of White’s

@sambam
"More than 30 boot manufacturers sold loggers in the 1920s and 1930s, but none of them are left to tell their story. They’re all extinct."

Someone at ABC Mart needs to get the marketing departments of the two boot brands they own to co-ordinate their messages a bit better. From the Danner Brand Timeline:

"1932 - The company is founded by Charles Danner. He sets out on a mission to make high-quality boots that are budget-friendly and robust. Danner's original target market is loggers, who rely on a durable, comfortable shoe for their demanding work outdoors."

Plus, you know, Wesco, who were founded in 1918, and Viberg, who were founded in 1931.

That said, it's still a more credible piece of marketing guff than Red Wing normally manage!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads