• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

klank74

Reaction score
I don't what you mean by "sides of the vamp". Are you referring to the space between the eyelet stays when the boot is laced ?
Yes. Sorry, I knew there was probably a better way to say that.

andy b.

Reaction score
Any updates from all the folks who took the plunge on ordering 695 last boots?
I have a pair of black 695 Packers. They are certainly the most pronounced arch of any Whites lasts and one of the taller heels. Also be aware that the Thoroughbred toe fits differently than every other toe style. I had to go up a size and down a width for them to fit my feet. I can't say everyone would need to do this, but it is something to be aware of.

I find them very comfortable.

DG123

Reaction score
Yes. Sorry, I knew there was probably a better way to say that.

Once you've laced your SD's, at the lowest set of eyelets, how wide is the gap between the eyelets, .5", 1", 1.5" ?

klank74

Reaction score
I haven’t measured with a tape measure, but it’s about 1 1/2 finger widths

DG123

Reaction score
I haven’t measured with a tape measure, but it’s about 1 1/2 finger widths

I've been wanting to try White's brand boots and recently received a pair of the Semi Dress model with brown dress uppers.
The size 12.5 length seems to be correct however the D width I received has a bit too much volume at both the heel and the vamp. The fit at the quarters and ball area is good.
Probably for this model boot a 12.5 C width would be a better fit for me, maybe even a B width. Although it's possible a B width would be too tight at the ball area. I am going to keep this pair of D widths and try some different aftermarket insoles to find which one works best for this pair of Semi Dress.

klank74

Reaction score
I've been wanting to try White's brand boots and recently received a pair of the Semi Dress model with brown dress uppers.
The size 12.5 length seems to be correct however the D width I received has a bit too much volume at both the heel and the vamp. The fit at the quarters and ball area is good.
Probably for this model boot a 12.5 C width would be a better fit for me, maybe even a B width. Although it's possible a B width would be too tight at the ball area. I am going to keep this pair of D widths and try some different aftermarket insoles to find which one works best for this pair of Semi Dress.
Maybe the swing last would work best for you? It has a wider toe box, but narrower heel and a slightly lower instep. It’s what works best for me. Even with that, I had to go with a combo last ( 13C with a B heel) and an instep adjustment because I have a very thin instep, but normal arches. It’s definitely worth sending your measurements and tracings into Bakers.

DG123

Reaction score
Maybe the swing last would work best for you? It has a wider toe box, but narrower heel and a slightly lower instep. It’s what works best for me. Even with that, I had to go with a combo last ( 13C with a B heel) and an instep adjustment because I have a very thin instep, but normal arches. It’s definitely worth sending your measurements and tracings into Bakers.

For the next few months I plan to wear my White's Semi Dress at least 2 days per week and from that experience will learn whether I want to own additional pairs of White's. I am accustomed to wearing Alden Indy boots 3 or 4 days per week and Wolverine 1000 Mile boots 1 or 2 days per week.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kyle and Brandon Baker are second to none!

DG123

Reaction score
Maybe the swing last would work best for you? It has a wider toe box, but narrower heel and a slightly lower instep. It’s what works best for me. Even with that, I had to go with a combo last ( 13C with a B heel) and an instep adjustment because I have a very thin instep, but normal arches.
White's Swing Last is essentially an orthopedic last, which means the origin of its design shape is for proper fit more so than appearance. Many people have a foot shape with a narrow heel and relatively wide toe box, and this is why orthopedic lasts such as Alden's Truebalance provide such an excellent fit.
The fact that Wjite's offers an orthopedic inspired/style last (Swing) is a sign that the company has the integrity to provide proper fitting footwear for those consumers who may want or need same.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
So let me get this right: the guy who has been advocating for months and months for White's to stock huge numbers of boots in various sizes as try-on pairs got his sizing wrong because he didn't avail of the fitting experts everyone trusts to get their sizing as close to perfect as possible before buying a pair? Interesting, indeed.

Recently took the MPs on a trek along the Shannon River, through loads of thick mud and a couple inches of standing water for much of it. Waxed flesh handles mud incredibly well, and the commando soles were good enough.

DG123

Reaction score
So let me get this right: the guy who has been advocating for months and months for White's to stock huge numbers of boots in various sizes as try-on pairs got his sizing wrong because he didn't avail of the fitting experts everyone trusts to get their sizing as close to perfect as possible before buying a pair? Interesting, indeed.

Sorry, you did not "get it right". I've never advocated that White's, Bakers, or any other company stock "huge numbers of boots". I suggested that White's (and whichever retailers that want to sell a high volume of White's boots) maintain for popular models an inventory of sizes and widths. This is something which manufacturers and retailers have done for 100 years; what I am suggesting is nothing new.
Foot tracings and, or, discussions with a fitter are at best marginally effective. This thread is filled with consumers who have gone that route and ended up with less than a proper fit. The reality is that for learning the best fit there is no good substitute for trying on a pair of footwear.

Last edited:

montanamike

Reaction score
Sorry, you did not "get it right". I've never advocated that White's, Bakers, or any other company stock "huge numbers of boots". I suggested that White's (and whichever retailers that want to sell a high volume of White's boots) maintain for popular models an inventory of sizes and widths. This is something which manufacturers and retailers have done for 100 years; what I am suggesting is nothing new.
Foot tracings and, or, discussions with a fitter are at best marginally effective. This thread is filled with consumers who have gone that route and ended up with less than a proper fit. The reality is that for learning the best fit there is no good substitute for trying on a pair of footwear.
What you are asking for does and has existed for some time. Hop onto Whites website and order up a pair and order a pair of smoke jumpers in black or semi dress in brown at your leisure. Every time I've been in store, I've seen customers walk out with boots. I personally have also. Typically I do order from Bakers as I covered the basics 25 years ago and now get more custom options with a custom time frame.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I could tell almost everyone here orders White's through Baker's.

Recently took the MPs on a trek along the Shannon River, through loads of thick mud and a couple inches of standing water for much of it. Waxed flesh handles mud incredibly well, and the commando soles were good enough.
Would love to see pics of the boots and Shannon river!

DG123

Reaction score
What you are asking for does and has existed for some time. Hop onto Whites website and order up a pair and order a pair of smoke jumpers in black or semi dress in brown at your leisure. Every time I've been in store, I've seen customers walk out with boots. I personally have also. Typically I do order from Bakers as I covered the basics 25 years ago and now get more custom options with a custom time frame.

For White's core logging and, or, fire fighter boots . I am not sure, but the company might maintain a finished inventory of width sizing. For the company's lifestyle/fashion boots , in the best the best selling color (s) , I believe White's tries to maintain only an inventory of D width sizes. To improve the company's lifestyle/fashion business it would be helpful if White's maintained a finished inventory of 7-14 in B, C, D, E, EE, EEE widths. Including multiple pairs of the most popular sizes/widths (for example 10-11.5 in D and EE) this would result in a model stock finished inventory of approximately 120 pairs of boots.
The Lifestyle/Fashion model stock could be one color of a 55 Last boot (120 pairs) and one color of an MP Last boot (120 pairs) . This model stock program can be used for fit test purposes as well as immediate sales of pairs. Each week model stock inventory is taken and sizes are reordered for replenishment back to model stock levels. For 100 years better grade footwear manufacturers and retailers have maintained this type of model stock inventory of width sizing.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads