• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mboon85

Reaction score
Here are a few photos of a rubber heel cap with 10-12 miles of wear. Again, I am not "completely burning through heel caps".
As you may see in the last of the three photos, it's only the rear edge of the cap that quickly wears. The balance of the cap reveals essentially no wear:

View attachment 1734193 View attachment 1734194 View attachment 1734195

Not a doctor but could this be something to do with your gait? maybe worth bringing up with a dr if you have ankle or knee issues.

starting physical therapy now will be a life saver if there's an issue. just my two cents.

mboon85

Reaction score
these are the White's I've previously mentioned. Black bullhide bounty hunters with vibram 430 and a funny named heel I cannot remember right now. quabaug?

the bullhide is kind of amazing in that it does not show wear or patina but does get softer and in doing so reveals more inherent, not earned, character.

after a few years of infrequent but inclement condition wear I've concluded I'm actually an E so will be sending them in for a resole. I also want them to be useful in the great outdoors and the quabaug heel is meh.

when I ordered these in 2018 I was more into normie heritage stuff but have gotten more into mil-surplus and a black boot with a block heel might pair well there. which is to say the cuban heel is a very specific look and while I love it as a pacific northwestern myself, I'm not 100% on it.

thoughts on blacking out the welt and rolling with a cuban heel 100f? a block heel? a HONEY variation for some real curveball character? my original order may have been "too plain".

1641968743439.png
1641968754828.jpeg
1641968960444.png

Attachments

• 6D116102-7A80-4D24-BFFC-5C22E18A7BE2_1_201_a.jpeg
    6D116102-7A80-4D24-BFFC-5C22E18A7BE2_1_201_a.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 8C19BF53-812C-4C6A-864B-5BCEB5435254_1_201_a.jpeg
    8C19BF53-812C-4C6A-864B-5BCEB5435254_1_201_a.jpeg
    426.7 KB · Views: 77

Properwawa

Reaction score
Wow those look amazing. What leather? I don't own enough different pairs to do something so wild but those look crazy good. Do you have on-foot photos?
Navy blue horse butt from Maryam, great stuff and really unique colour, looks more steel grey than deep navy when starting out, but I can see the blue showing more and more as wear and patina sets in. I’ll try to get more on foot photos soon, but did post a quick one a few pages back.

Properwawa

Reaction score
Thanks, that’s basically what I was looking for, just where to get started and figure out what I need.

I’ve owned several pairs of wedge sole boots from redwing and thorogood in the past. The thorogoods have put me on my but a few times in the snow. How is the impact absorption of that wedge sole? That’s my main issue with my whites right now. The balls of my feet feel bruised after a full day on my feet. I’ve even tried some Spenco foam inserts, but They only help a little bit.
Impact absorption is excellent, I think you’d be pretty happy with it. Flexibility is slightly less than my half commandos, but they’re slowly breaking in and I don’t feel hugely held back by them.

wordfool

Reaction score
these are the White's I've previously mentioned. Black bullhide bounty hunters with vibram 430 and a funny named heel I cannot remember right now. quabaug?

the bullhide is kind of amazing in that it does not show wear or patina but does get softer and in doing so reveals more inherent, not earned, character.

after a few years of infrequent but inclement condition wear I've concluded I'm actually an E so will be sending them in for a resole. I also want them to be useful in the great outdoors and the quabaug heel is meh.

when I ordered these in 2018 I was more into normie heritage stuff but have gotten more into mil-surplus and a black boot with a block heel might pair well there. which is to say the cuban heel is a very specific look and while I love it as a pacific northwestern myself, I'm not 100% on it.

thoughts on blacking out the welt and rolling with a cuban heel 100f? a block heel? a HONEY variation for some real curveball character? my original order may have been "too plain".

View attachment 1735571 View attachment 1735572 View attachment 1735573

love the character of that bullhide, but I wonder if that character will be less front and center if you go full blackout? I have a pair of block-heeled BH in black bison with bullhide toecap and heel counter, but decided against black edge for that reason. I do have a pair of black roughout SDs with black edge and lowered block heel that I love, but in that case the blackout sorta improves the otherwise slightly scruffy looking character of the roughout. Also be warned that the black edge dressing wears very quickly so you might need to re-apply often or find a better solution if you want it super black all the time.

i guess I’m now more of a fan of block heels, with five of my seven pairs of Whites having one, including most recently a pair of distressed RO BHs with a 100 sole on which the block heel is not as massively pronounced as I worried it might be.

The biggest problem with block heels in my experience is that White‘s usually doesn’t sand the heel close enough to the upper so you end up with a massive shelf and a heel that juts out far too much. Every time I order a pair with block heel I request “minimal heel shelf” and almost every time I get a shelf fit for the biggest pair of spurs imaginable! Thankfully most of my pairs have immediately had to go back for a rebuild or re-heel (gotta love White’s QC) and second time around the shelf is smaller.

mboon85

Reaction score
Thankfully most of my pairs have immediately had to go back for a rebuild or re-heel (gotta love White’s QC) and second time around the shelf is smaller.

interesting use of "thankfully."

I didn't realize sending them back was an option from the get go. From the start the edge where the vamp tucks towards the arch of my foot (idk the term of this part of the boot but I know one exists) was a little sloppy, and was told bullhide is so tough it prevents a really clean transition.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wordfool

Reaction score
interesting use of "thankfully."

I didn't realize sending them back was an option from the get go. From the start the edge where the vamp tucks towards the arch of my foot (idk the term of this part of the boot but I know one exists) was a little sloppy, and was told bullhide is so tough it prevents a really clean transition.

Thankful only for getting another shot at less of a heel shelf. Not thankful for having to go through the "return or not?" discussion with Baker's and then the hassle and wait time entailed in returning then waiting for a rebuild/repair for something that really should not have had the faults in the first place (it always amazes me that some of this stuff is not caught during the build).

There's "cosmetically sloppy" (which I can live with and is IMO somewhat inherent to handmade boots in this price range) and then there's "ridiculously sloppy" that is just glaringly bad or bad enough to potentially affect structural integrity or simply not what was ordered, all three of which I've experienced.

Last edited:

whipcord

Reaction score

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What model boot is that? I like the blunt, round toe.
It's their Northwest Lace to Toe oxford (aptly named since it's on their Northwest last). Definitely more rounded than their 55 or C461 lasts

imwalker

Reaction score
It's their Northwest Lace to Toe oxford (aptly named since it's on their Northwest last). Definitely more rounded than their 55 or C461 lasts

The "Baker's Oxford" is also built on the NW last. How's the fit/sizing compared to the 55? I have a pair on order in Red Dog roughout, Kyle had recommended a half size up from 55.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "Baker's Oxford" is also built on the NW last. How's the fit/sizing compared to the 55? I have a pair on order in Red Dog roughout, Kyle had recommended a half size up from 55.
I got the same advice, however I ended up sticking with the same size as on the 55 and I'm happy that I did. I find the fit to be very comfortable, maybe even rivaling the 55. Be warned though - these will make your White's boots seem lightweight, somehow... The weight is remarkable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads