• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wordfool

Reaction score
Lumbersexual. I'll admit that's hilarious, I'm probably one. I lost my lumberginity at the young age of 16 to a 56 year old. I'll never forget, we did it standing, and when I was done with her she just laid there and my dad and I took her apart.

Were any chains and ropes involved, or was it a more traditional sort of liaison?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what I struggle with everyday, working on concrete, even with darn tough fully padded socks. I’ve started using the Spenco RX inserts that Kyle recommended, and they’ve helped a bunch, but there’s still a little tenderness by the end of the day.
Out of curiosity, 100 lug soles don't provide enough cushion to help working on concrete all day?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The subject doesn't get revisited - it's just the same annoying person who doesn't even own/want any White's obsessing over this one thing for some reason.
????

klank74

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, 100 lug soles don't provide enough cushion to help working on concrete all day?
Not with my feet. I’ve got the vibram 100 honey on one pair and the 430 on the other. I turned 40 this year and it’s like a switch flipped and everything on my body went to hell at once. Instantly? I think with the leather insoles, the only thing my feet would feel comfortable in all day is a wedge sole, but they are horrible in snow and get dirty at work instantly.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not with my feet. I’ve got the vibram 100 honey on one pair and the 430 on the other. I turned 40 this year and it’s like a switch flipped and everything on my body went to hell at once. Instantly? I think with the leather insoles, the only thing my feet would feel comfortable in all day is a wedge sole, but they are horrible in snow and get dirty at work instantly.
You are scaring me bro!
I am older than you.
I guess I should stick to Software Development ?

FutureComesToday

Reaction score
Cheapie Spenco inserts are great for long days on feet, even when wearing a supportive boot. I think Nicks recommends going up a width if you want to go this route.

klank74

Reaction score
You are scaring me bro!
I am older than you.
I guess I should stick to Software Development ?
I’ve been a diesel mechanic since I was 19. Working on concrete all day every day has taken more of a toll on my body than anything. Doesn’t help that I’ve spent a majority of that time over weight too. I started eating better about 3 months ago and I’m down about 22lbs so far, but I feel much better already. Only about 70 or 80 more to go?

klank74

Reaction score
Cheapie Spenco inserts are great for long days on feet, even when wearing a supportive boot. I think Nicks recommends going up a width if you want to go this route.
They help some, but by the end of the day, their pretty much compressed to the point where they’re not really helping much. My problem right now with the inserts in isn’t the width, it’s the height of the toe box. My boots are on the 38 last and it doesn’t have as much height in the toe box as say the 4811. With the inserts in, the celastic toe digs into my toes a bit when walking, but it’s not really painful, I just can’t tell it’s there.

ThreeLions

Reaction score
The 100HV (Honey Vibram) is much more comfortable for prolonged standing. It's quite soft and springy, but since it's softer, it wears more quickly.

The 100F (Fire Rated) sole that is standard on NFPA Smokejumpers is very hard. As a result, it is also very long lasting. I've been wearing mine daily for 4 ½ years and still haven't had to resole them.

klank74

Reaction score
The 100HV (Honey Vibram) is much more comfortable for prolonged standing. It's quite soft and springy, but since it's softer, it wears more quickly.

The 100F (Fire Rated) sole that is standard on NFPA Smokejumpers is very hard. As a result, it is also very long lasting. I've been wearing mine daily for 4 ½ years and still haven't had to resole them.
I can feel the difference between the honey vibram and the 430. Problem is, I was an idiot and had the pair with the honey vibram made with a double midsole. I think that’s the bigger reason for foot pain with that pair. I may try the honey vibram on the pair with the 430 when it comes time to resole. Theyre a single midsole. If that works out, I’ll get the double midsole pair changed to a single.
Also.... I lost 70 pounds, and somehow, mysteriously, my feet strangely seemed to stop hurting. Weird, right?
Funny the way that works? I lost my 22 lbs and my joints are already starting to feel better. My joints would always be so stiff and I’d always wake up first thing in the morning so stiff and sore and stay that way all day. That’s all pretty much gone now. Might have just been something I used to eat causing inflammation though too.

DG123

Reaction score
I think with the leather insoles, the only thing my feet would feel comfortable in all day is a wedge sole

For standing on a concrete surface all day, wedge outsoles are absolutely a good choice .For employees at the Red Wing, Minnesota production factory, the RW #595 has for decades been the most popular model.

red wing 595.jpg

Abe_Room

Reaction score
Were any chains and ropes involved, or was it a more traditional sort of liaison?
Ropes, a ladder, and a truck. Spicy, had to avoid her falling on our house since she was on the slope of a hill pointed directly at our living room.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For standing on a concrete surface all day, wedge outsoles are absolutely a good choice .For employees at the Red Wing, Minnesota production factory, the RW #595 has for decades been the most popular model.

View attachment 1717297
Geee I dunno....how can you possibly draw that conclusion without trying this boot with every available sole? Surely RedWing has the fully inventory of each possible, available option for you to try. Report back and let us know.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
However, I fear that if all those east coast elites ever got an in person look at what a real boot should be, they would drive up demand and thus prices higher than they are already... every lumbersexual would need a pair of White's boots to go with their beard oil and unused Swedish Gränsfors Double Bit Axe!
View attachment 1717046
Could be worse, we could have then in courtrooms fighting timber laws and showcasing them to all their wealthy lawyer friends...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads