• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

plugugly88

Reaction score
Let us know what Kyle says. He will stand behind his guarantee. That said, with his permission, you may want to continue to wear them and see how they adjust to your foot. It is easy enough to have Kyle stretch them. The shipping both ways and wait time can be frustrating depending upon where you are located. Two years ago I purchased a pair of MP's in HH. They fit pretty tight at first. If I laced them tight, my right metatarsal was pinched so much I could not walk. My left foot was just really snug but not painful. It took about 25-30 miles of walking in them to get the leather more pliable and soft. There was a little give in the leather as it molded to my feet and they became very comfortable and pliable. It did not stretch in the sense of how CXL stretches. They are snug now and feel just great. I can still over-tighten them to make my right foot painful if I try.

Not sure how tight yours are or if they are painful to wear, but I don't think it would hurt to continue to break them in if you can do it without pain.

As an aside, I took delivery of a pair of BH in CXL, the same size as the MP's, and they fit very snug at first but after a month or so and 25-30 miles, they are super comfy. The CXL leather is, I think, stretching a little. I like how it feels but the HH is much better leather IMO and I doubt I will order another CXL boot.

Either way, you don't have anything to worry about regarding getting them to fit. It is just the process to get you there.

I am patiently waiting for a pair of Stevens in the Maryam Natty Horsehide. Hope to see them by Fathers day.
So it looks like Baker’s is going to make it right, they’re suggesting I break them in as much as possible and if I need to get my left foot to a double E, then it’s possible and I’ll send them in when I’m ready.

plugugly88

Reaction score
Question about boot arch: My left foot is cramped in my Custom Bounty Hunters (as mentioned in previous post), but the arch actually feels fine on the left. Alternatively, my right foot feels great in the toe box, (which makes sense because it’s a whole width bigger at 8.5 EE)… BUT the arch is sort of strange feeling/slightly uncomfortable. It’s like I’m standing on a lacrosse ball digging up into the middle of my foot sole. I definitely don’t feel it as pronounced as my left boot. My big question is: Is this normal? Does it go away with time and wear?

for reference:)
On Sunday, I asked the question about fit for my left foot because my toes are fairly cramped on my left but perfect on my right boot. So I was just trying to find out what I’d need to do to get it right. I believe I need to go up to a double E, from an 8.5 E. I got re-measured on Monday at Red Wings and within a few minutes they had me at between 9 E and EE. For reference, the 8.5EE feel good on iron Rangers.
So I mentioned all of this in an email to Kyle and I got a response back from Brandon saying to break them in as much as I can until I feel I need them stretched and they can accommodate another width size up from 8.5E to EE in my toe box. So I’m gonna give that a try and probably send them back to bakers.

Last edited:

Luscombe

Reaction score
Question about boot arch: My left foot is cramped in my Custom Bounty Hunters (as mentioned in previous post), but the arch actually feels fine on the left. Alternatively, my right foot feels great in the toe box, (which makes sense because it’s a whole width bigger at 8.5 EE)… BUT the arch is sort of strange feeling/slightly uncomfortable. It’s like I’m standing on a lacrosse ball digging up into the middle of my foot sole. I definitely don’t feel it as pronounced as my left boot. My big question is: Is this normal? Does it go away with time and wear?

for reference:)
On Sunday, I asked the question about fit for my left foot because my toes are fairly cramped on my left but perfect on my right boot. So I was just trying to find out what I’d need to do to get it right. I believe I need to go up to a double E, from an 8.5 E. I got re-measured on Monday at Red Wings and within a few minutes they had me at between 9 E and EE. For reference, the 8.5EE feel good on iron Rangers.
So I mentioned all of this in an email to Kyle and I got a response back from Brandon saying to break them in as much as I can until I feel I need them stretched and they can accommodate another width size up from 8.5E to EE in my toe box. So I’m gonna give that a try and probably send them back to bakers.
I broke my BH & SD & MP boots in by taking 2-3 mile walks in them a couple of times a week. If you can do that without severe pain in your left foot, they should feel more comfortable by the end of week two or three. You will know it when it happens, especially the right foot arch. I could hardly tolerate my BH for the first few wears. Now after a couple months, they are very comfortable. I can feel the arch but it has conformed to my foot and feels very natural.

Try to break them in for a long as you can stand it. You might have a breakthrough and avoid being without them while they are being stretched. No need to worry as Kyle & Brandon will stand by their word and make it right.

Abe_Room

Reaction score
You may want to consider getting just one pair first to confirm the fit rather than two.
Sure, that's what I thought I was doing when I ordered the first pair. A month later black Friday rolled around, and I got my yearly christmas bonus, and well...I usually have great impulse control.

Luscombe

Reaction score
Sure, that's what I thought I was doing when I ordered the first pair. A month later black Friday rolled around, and I got my yearly christmas bonus, and well...I usually have great impulse control.
Kyle may be able to adjust the size on your BF pair. No harm in asking.

DG123

Reaction score
I do believe White's and, or, Bakers should invest in some "fit inventory" available for potential customers to try for size length and width. Including all sizes and widths, including duplicate pairs of the most common sizes, this would mean an inventory of approximately 75 pairs of finished boots. White's and, or, Bakers are each multi million dollar annual revenue companies which can afford to hold $15,000 to $20,000 worth of fit test inventory. I understand White's has an inventory of different lasts, however last type does not usually result in a different length size and width for the customer, so the fit inventory could be produced using only White's most popular/common last.
My guess is that each year employees of White's and Bakers spend hundreds of hours talking on the phone and, or composing email messages about fitting. Having inventory dedicated for fitting purposes would greatly reduce the time/money these company's spend on talking about fit and, or, trying to adjust finished pairs which did not fit the customer. Just a thought.

Abe_Room

Reaction score
I do believe White's and, or, Bakers should invest in some "fit inventory" available for potential customer's to try for size length and width. Including all sizes and widths, including duplicate pairs of the most common sizes, this would mean an inventory of approximately 75 pairs of finished boots. White's and, or, Bakers are each multi million dollar annual revenue companies which can afford to hold $15,000 to $20,000 worth of fit test inventory. I understand White's has an inventory of different lasts, however last type does not usually result in a different length size and width for the customer, so the fit inventory could be produced using only White's most popular/common last.
My guess is that each year employees of White's and Bakers spend hundreds of hours talking on the phone and, or composing email messages about fitting. Having inventory dedicated for fitting purposes would greatly reduce the time/money these company's spend on talking about fit and, or, trying to adjust finished pairs which did not fit the customer. Just a thought.
I think you're underestimating how much inventory they would need to keep in stock for trying on these products. 30 pairs are already 15k.
Let's say they need at least one model from sizes 7.5 to 11.5 (10 sizes so we ignore anything extreme) then there are widths (I could look it up, let's only consider 4 though). That's 40 pairs of shoes for one last. Let's just do another 3 lasts, so 120 pairs of shoes.
If shoe sizing follows a traditional bell curve, which it probably does, you'll need 4-5 pairs of the most common widths and lengths so you can actually cover the demand of the customer to try on the shoes (a lot of people will be adding for 9s, 10s, Ds, Es). We're looking at at least 150 pairs, averaging at 500$ (low), 75k investment for one brand of shoes. Then there is the hygiene aspect, and all the shipping costs.

wordfool

Reaction score
I do believe White's and, or, Bakers should invest in some "fit inventory" available for potential customers to try for size length and width. Including all sizes and widths, including duplicate pairs of the most common sizes, this would mean an inventory of approximately 75 pairs of finished boots. White's and, or, Bakers are each multi million dollar annual revenue companies which can afford to hold $15,000 to $20,000 worth of fit test inventory. I understand White's has an inventory of different lasts, however last type does not usually result in a different length size and width for the customer, so the fit inventory could be produced using only White's most popular/common last.

This subject seems to get revisited every six months or so and the general consensus seems to be that it would require a heck of a lot of boots to cover all sizes and widths and lasts in multiples that would enable pairs to be out with customers for 3+ weeks (estimating that shipping takes 1+ week each way) without leaving a hole in try-on inventory. And different last samples would be needed IMO because it can make a big difference in terms of overall fit. An MP last is going to fit duck-footed people totally differently to a 38 Swing last, for example, and even for my relatively normal-shaped feet Baker's put me in a different size for the MP last compared to the 55 last.

I also doubt that it would cut back on phone consulting time. In fact it might even increase it as customers want to discuss how the sample fits them and whether they should try a different size/last/width. Not to mention the time needed for inventory management at Baker's end and the shipping charges that would have to be borne by either the customer or Baker's -- shipping charges that are going to be high considering a single pair of boots weighs 7+ lbs. However, I would be curious to know how many returns Baker's/White's get for fitting issues. Based on my experience I imagine the vast majority of returns are for QC, not fit, problems.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What White's needs is more stocking dealers period, but especially east of the Mississippi...

Unlikely to happen given the current backlog and labor shortage, but it sure would be nice to have a stocking dealer closer than a 4 hour drive...

However, I fear that if all those east coast elites ever got an in person look at what a real boot should be, they would drive up demand and thus prices higher than they are already... every lumbersexual would need a pair of White's boots to go with their beard oil and unused Swedish Gränsfors Double Bit Axe!
1638997348072.png

Last edited:

iambretton

Reaction score
Just heard my custom Smokejumpers have arrived to Montana (where I bought them) and are being shipped to me in California today. Somehow they only took 6 weeks?!

iamntbatman

Reaction score
This subject seems to get revisited every six months or so and the general consensus seems to be that it would require a heck of a lot of boots to cover all sizes and widths and lasts in multiples that would enable pairs to be out with customers for 3+ weeks (estimating that shipping takes 1+ week each way) without leaving a hole in try-on inventory. And different last samples would be needed IMO because it can make a big difference in terms of overall fit. An MP last is going to fit duck-footed people totally differently to a 38 Swing last, for example, and even for my relatively normal-shaped feet Baker's put me in a different size for the MP last compared to the 55 last.

I also doubt that it would cut back on phone consulting time. In fact it might even increase it as customers want to discuss how the sample fits them and whether they should try a different size/last/width. Not to mention the time needed for inventory management at Baker's end and the shipping charges that would have to be borne by either the customer or Baker's -- shipping charges that are going to be high considering a single pair of boots weighs 7+ lbs. However, I would be curious to know how many returns Baker's/White's get for fitting issues. Based on my experience I imagine the vast majority of returns are for QC, not fit, problems.

The subject doesn't get revisited - it's just the same annoying person who doesn't even own/want any White's obsessing over this one thing for some reason.

I took my old Bounty Hunters (the ones I just got re-heeled with the dreaded Dainite) to England for a week. They got a lot of city wear in Cambridge, London, and Lincoln, and served well in the Cambridgeshire countryside. The most grueling test was taking them out for some very long walks (I did something like 23 miles yesterday) along the Viking Way in Lincolnshire. Some of this walking was on paved/stone surfaces, but the vast majority was on forest paths, unpaved country lanes, and across fields. It was about 35 degrees with howling 50+ mph winds and rain yesterday, and there was lots of walking across recently turned fields with deep, sticky, clay-like mud, but I never had any water intrusion and my feet (in Darn Tough full cushion socks) stayed dry and warm. The only real problem is that putting so many miles on them with very little shock absorption leaves the soles of your feet aching by the end of the day.

Edit: Vaguely related - anyone else get in on that Ship John Wills ordering thingy that went live today? I finally got signed on for a Wills...for June 2023 delivery. Current White's lead times ain't got nothin' on that!

klank74

Reaction score
The only real problem is that putting so many miles on them with very little shock absorption leaves the soles of your feet aching by the end of the day.
This is what I struggle with everyday, working on concrete, even with darn tough fully padded socks. I’ve started using the Spenco RX inserts that Kyle recommended, and they’ve helped a bunch, but there’s still a little tenderness by the end of the day.

Abe_Room

Reaction score
What White's needs is more stocking dealers period, but especially east of the Mississippi...

Unlikely to happen given the current backlog and labor shortage, but it sure would be nice to have a stocking dealer closer than a 4 hour drive...

However, I fear that if all those east coast elites ever got an in person look at what a real boot should be, they would drive up demand and thus prices higher than they are already... every lumbersexual would need a pair of White's boots to go with their beard oil and unused Swedish Gränsfors Double Bit Axe!
View attachment 1717046
More places for the customer to try stuff out, feel and touch. Question is does whites have the output to fill that demand. If they are backordered all year long, I have doubts.
Lumbersexual. I'll admit that's hilarious, I'm probably one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads