• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wordfool

Reaction score
Hi Fellas,

I'm new to the forum and I've been following and reading through a bunch of what was said here orient myself for my first purchase of custom leather boots.

A little background: I've had trouble buying shoes my whole life, basically, anything with a slightly pointed toe had to be bought a size or two larger, and I always figured that after breaking in a shoe it's normal that the leather or material spills over the outsole. A couple years ago I bought my first pair of "BÄR SCHUHE", which are quite frankly, clown shoes. They are made extra wide for toe space, and as such fit me without a hitch but well, they look like they do.

To the current status: I have now ordered two pairs of BH from Kyle at baker's boots.The boots are technically the same. One in Black Smooth with Commando soles for daily regular wear, the other in Distressed Smooth with Vib. 100s for out in the woods/snow (normal toe cap, not medaillon)

Leather: Black Smooth
Leather Liner: Cream
Lace Design: Plain Toe
Pull Loops: Leather Pull Loops [ $15.00 ]
Celastic Toe Box: No Thanks
Toe Cap: Medallion Dress Toe Cap [ $50.00 ]
Hardware: Nickel Eyes & Hooks
Top: Cut Top (standard)
Midsole: Single
Upper Thread Color: Factory Choice
Edge: Natural
Heel Base: Standard
Heel Lifts: 1/4"Lower
Sole: Commando Mini Lug Half Sole - Only available with single midsole
Sole Trim: Close Trim (Single Row Stitch)
Height: 7 INCH
Size - Length: 9.5
Size - Width: FF (Widest)

As you can see, Kyle suggested a 9.5 FF sizing on both of my flippers. I never considered my feet to be so extreme, and I'm just a little apprehensive.
Length R: 10 15/16 inches
Length L: 10 7/8 inches

Heel R: 14/3/8
Heel L: 14 1/4

Instep R: 10 7/16
Instep L: Same

Ball R (With foot on my knee as is advised on White's website): 10 5/8
Ball L (With foot on my knee as is advised on White's website): 10 3/16

Ball R (Sitting, foot on floor): between 10 15/16 to 11
Ball L (Sitting, foot on floor): between 10 3/4 to 10 15/16

Originally I measured my feet like white's recommends and sent those in. Kyle sized me at a 9.5 EE on left and 9.5 EEE on right. Before finalizing the order though I just wanted to be 100% sure, so I remeasured my feet, but this time on the ground since I had just watched their video and found out that's how Baker's Boots sizes feet.

Gosh this is a long post I'm probably breaking all the rules. Is 9.5 too short? Is FF too wide? Is my heel going to be swimming?

Thanks for whatever you can tell me I did wrong, did right, or still would need to post.

Which last did Kyle recommend? The "duck feet" last of choice here is the 38 Swing, which has a bit less arch support but a wider toe relative to the rest of the foot.

Luscombe

Reaction score
Nah, when I started this whole process I considered iron rangers but decided not to because they felt like a compromise and I couldn't get em with vib 100s.
It would have been a good place to start I suppose, but given the closest place I could check them out is over 3 hours away...
Either way, I guess I'll see them in 3 or 4 months time.
You may want to consider getting just one pair first to confirm the fit rather than two.

Abe_Room

Reaction score
Which last did Kyle recommend? The "duck feet" last of choice here is the 38 Swing, which has a bit less arch support but a wider toe relative to the rest of the foot.
He didn't recommend a different last.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He didn't recommend a different last.
If you were asking him to size Bounty Hunters, you were by default asking him to size you in a 55 last. Which he will do to the best of his ability. But the 55 last, while one of the best "default" lasts for most foot shapes, is not the best for all.

I have said it before and I will say it again... the proper questions to ask, in the proper order are these:

1) Setting aside for a minute sizing, based purely on the SHAPE of my tracings, which last would be the best fit for MY FOOT SHAPE?

2) Then and only then... based on that last and that last alone, which size and width would you recommend?

If you chase sizing without knowing you are in the best last for your foot shape, you might find discomfort even with the best sizing advice possible because last is wrong. I have that problem with the packer last... as much as I like it, there is no combination of length and width that work for my foot shape. Kyle could size me the best he can in the packer last, but even his best efforts would result in an unsatisfactory fit and comfort given my foot shape.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you were asking him to size Bounty Hunters, you were by default asking him to size you in a 55 last. Which he will do to the best of his ability. But the 55 last, while one of the best "default" lasts for most foot shapes, is not the best for all.

I have said it before and I will say it again... the proper questions to ask, in the proper order are these:

1) Setting aside for a minute sizing, based purely on the SHAPE of my tracings, which last would be the best fit for MY FOOT SHAPE?

2) Then and only then... based on that last and that last alone, which size and width would you recommend?

If you chase sizing without knowing you are in the best last for your foot shape, you might find discomfort even with the best sizing advice possible because last is wrong. I have that problem with the packer last... as much as I like it, there is no combination of length and width that work for my foot shape. Kyle could size me the best he can in the packer last, but even his best efforts would result in an unsatisfactory fit and comfort given my foot shape.
Speaking of lasts, how much is the arch support difference between 55 and 4811?

Abe_Room

Reaction score

See that's what I thought the bounty hunters were, the 55.

I didn't ask him though if my foot is a good match for the last... I just popped him another E-Mail, maybe he'll answer.

Given I've survived up until now in normal sized shoes with my FF feet, I'm guessing these boots will probably blow me away anyway.

Thanks for the advice

montanamike

Reaction score
For anyone interested in top shot of 38 last vs 55 last. Both are elk tan. Black is 55 last 13 EE, Brown is 38 last 13 E. Arch support difference is somewhat less pronounced in the 38 but it is closer than I expected.
38vs55.jpg

DG123

Reaction score
For anyone interested in top shot of 38 last vs 55 last. Both are elk tan. Black is 55 last 13 EE, Brown is 38 last 13 E. Arch support difference is somewhat less pronounced in the 38 but it is closer than I expected. View attachment 1716257

Thanks. If you are able to photograph the two lasts from the underside (view of the soles) , please do so.
I believe the underside view might reveal more easily the difference in shape between the 55 and 38 lasts.

Abe_Room

Reaction score
For anyone interested in top shot of 38 last vs 55 last. Both are elk tan. Black is 55 last 13 EE, Brown is 38 last 13 E. Arch support difference is somewhat less pronounced in the 38 but it is closer than I expected. View attachment 1716257
Those look amazing. Too good actually I would be afraid of wearing them ?. Which last do you prefer?

montanamike

Reaction score
Those look amazing. Too good actually I would be afraid of wearing them ?. Which last do you prefer?
My next one will be a 38 last. My personal foot anatomy is wide ball, narrowish heel. In the 55, I need the ball width of an EE but get moderate heel slip. I may even go to 13 D in the 38 next time. Your experience may vary of course.

mlwdp

Reaction score
Is Bakers Boots using Horween Horsehide or Maryam Horsehide for all Horsehide orders now?

DG123

Reaction score
My next one will be a 38 last. My personal foot anatomy is wide ball, narrowish heel. In the 55, I need the ball width of an EE but get moderate heel slip. I may even go to 13 D in the 38 next time. Your experience may vary of course.

Your foot shape is common, which is why orthopedic lasts are shaped relatively narrow in the heel and broad at the forefoot. I believe that White's #38 last is the closest shape the company has to a traditional orthopedic last.
Remember nearly all lasts are designed to create a particular appearance for the shoe/boot. In contrast, while orthopedic lasts do not provide a pleasing appearance, they are designed using fit as the top priority criteria.

Widening Gyre

Reaction score
Is Bakers Boots using Horween Horsehide or Maryam Horsehide for all Horsehide orders now?

The natty HH looks to be limited for now (50 pairs total). Haven’t seen any other indications that Horween is out.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In contrast, while orthopedic lasts do not provide a pleasing appearance, they are designed using fit as the top priority criteria.
I decided long ago that comfort was more important than style... not that any PNW boot is stylish!

To my mind the 38 does not look bad... granted it will never be sleek, and Ronald McDonald comments notwithstanding, I think it has a sort of old fashioned work boot look... similar to the WWII paratrooper boots built on the Munson last...

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We could be brothers, I have had exactly the same experience. I also go down one width (could actually drop two widths) when moving from the 55 to the 38.

For my foot shape 55 is "pretty good", but 38 is perfect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads