• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

theofficialhung

Reaction score

theofficialhung

Reaction score
Black Friday sale has been extended. Terrible news for my wallet. I chose olive wax flesh Ramblers over LTT BHs, now debating between brown bison and red dog RO for the BH's...

Screenshot_20211130-123917.png

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
chicagoan2016--

No, did not specify thread color for the soles - all three of the 690s have the standard white thread stitching.

Think it has a much sharper contrast against the black oil leather and edges.

iambretton--

The order date was bugging me, so looked it up with the outfitter - placed and approved with them on 08/27, so it looks closer to 12 weeks for delivery - sorry for elevating your expectations.

theofficialhung--

One must be prepared for all eventualities ...

Cheers,

Last edited:

ThreeLions

Reaction score
I have been planning on ordering a pair of White's Insulated Hunter's in the standard configuration all year. I was waiting for the Black Friday sale. This year, they were on sale for $524. I really came close to placing the order.

I already have 7 pair of White's so this isn't a need, rather a want. On my White's wish list there are still a few things that I would like (Hunters, Burgundy Cruisers, Oxfords, and Nomads).

However, I have recently been researching the world of cryptocurrency and have decided to use the money I have set aside for these boots to buy some crypto. I will invest the money and perhaps next year, I'll be able to buy a few pairs. Either that or I will not want to sell the investment. That should tell me how bad I want new White's.

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
I have been planning on ordering a pair of White's Insulated Hunter's in the standard configuration all year. I was waiting for the Black Friday sale. This year, they were on sale for $524. I really came close to placing the order.

Will honestly say having a pair of insulated Hunter's (Hathorn - 55 last) and now an insulated Packer (690 last), my feet have never been more happy during the chilly and downright cold months here in the Rocky Mountain region.

So happy to have them.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
However, I have recently been researching the world of cryptocurrency and have decided to use the money I have set aside for these boots to buy some crypto.
Not to hijack the thread, but I too have been seduced by the siren song of high returns on cryptocurrency.

The only thing that keeps me from investing is that if I am to be honest, I do not understand the inner workings of all the different crypto currency, and have always avoided investing in things I do not understand. My theory is that it is a zero sum game between buyers and sellers, and the guy on the other side of the crypto table likely knows more about the transaction than do I. Being on the losing side of this information gap makes me wary...

I may come to regret my decision, but I cannot help but feel that only those who truly got in on the ground floor are going to make a killing in crypto... everyone else is speculating or relying on the "greater fool theory"...

I will just sit here with my boring old Vanguard Total Stock Market Index... like the old fashioned curmudgeon I am...

Best of luck to you @ThreeLions ... I hope it works out...

Now back to boots...

Alaskaking

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but I too have been seduced by the siren song of high returns on cryptocurrency.

The only thing that keeps me from investing is that if I am to be honest, I do not understand the inner workings of all the different crypto currency, and have always avoided investing in things I do not understand. My theory is that it is a zero sum game between buyers and sellers, and the guy on the other side of the crypto table likely knows more about the transaction than do I. Being on the losing side of this information gap makes me wary...

I may come to regret my decision, but I cannot help but feel that only those who truly got in on the ground floor are going to make a killing in crypto... everyone else is speculating or relying on the "greater fool theory"...

I will just sit here with my boring old Vanguard Total Stock Market Index... like the old fashioned curmudgeon I am...

Best of luck to you @ThreeLions ... I hope it works out...

Now back to boots...

I would have never thought that at the ripe old age of 43, I would so thoroughly embrace being an old curmudgeon, but I think I might have been one since I was a kid.
Jump to last week when my greater than 20 years older than me family physician was explaining NFTs to me and my wife—
“but I don’t understand what you’re investing in.. what do you own?”
-
“” oh this little digital thing that anyone can download for free “”
-
“Wait, I can download it for free.. and is digital?”

“” Yes, but I OWN it.””

“Do you get paid if I download it?”

—-“”No””. Blink, blink, blink.

Hmmm- I think I’ll have to stick with vanguard.

Next you’re gonna tell me you like double leather soles on your shoes.

theofficialhung

Reaction score
@Legal Eagle @Alaskaking this is a boots thread so I'll summarize this just once - there are many crypto resources out there that explain this in higher detail if you're interested.

When you invest in crypto, you're investing in software technologies, ie. BTC, ETH, etc are all different softwares. This is similar to investing in early stage Microsoft, Google, Amazon's AWS, etc. The difference is that crypto is built on a tech called the blockchain, which is fully transparent (like open source) and supposed to be decentralized from a governing authority (this definition is stretched for some cryptos).

NFT's are a way of digitizing ownership on the blockchain. These are non-fungible tokens (ie. each one is unique, there are no 2 identical NFTs) so one of the real world use cases is authentication. NFTs can be used in gaming and the metaverse, most use cases right now are highly speculative (ie. "art" like crypto punks) and similar to the metaverse we are very early on NFTs in terms of market maturity.

If you're interested in learning more I recommend this YouTube channel by Coin Bureau who gives good explanations and makes it easy to understand the fundamentals of the space. https://www.youtube.com/c/CoinBureau/featured

Last edited:

ABMTL

Reaction score
Order date was roughly end of September - was not expecting them for another 2 or 3 weeks.

Cheers,

Dang. That makes the pain of my order's delay hurt even worse. I ordered in April. Thought I was being responsible by ordering early so that I could have family members bring them to me in Canada during their summer visits. Summer came and went with no word. Called Kyle in early September (i.e., before you placed your order) only to find out that the order had been dropped. He told me he'd make sure they were handled as a rush job. Fall passed. Come early November, I'd still heard nothing so checked in again. He said he'd follow-up. It's December and I still haven't heard anything. Have had to buy a replacement pair of boots locally in the meantime. This is my first order and I'm really confused as to how there can be such atrocious discrepancies in order protocol.

wordfool

Reaction score
I would have never thought that at the ripe old age of 43, I would so thoroughly embrace being an old curmudgeon, but I think I might have been one since I was a kid.
Jump to last week when my greater than 20 years older than me family physician was explaining NFTs to me and my wife—
“but I don’t understand what you’re investing in.. what do you own?”
-
“” oh this little digital thing that anyone can download for free “”
-
“Wait, I can download it for free.. and is digital?”

“” Yes, but I OWN it.””

“Do you get paid if I download it?”

—-“”No””. Blink, blink, blink.

Hmmm- I think I’ll have to stick with vanguard.

Next you’re gonna tell me you like double leather soles on your shoes.

Yeah, NFTs are a bit baffling. I sometimes assume they’re vehicles created by dodgy dealers to lure clueless crypto investors to spend their (probably unreported) gains. Sometimes it all just seems like a big digital circle jerk.

I don’t imagine there’ll be a big secondary market in years to come for all the strange NFTs now being sold, but then I’m part of the old curmudgeon club, too, so what do I know?!

Boots? Now they’re fungible! Sort of.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads