• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Baker's told me Monday that White's won't do a soft toe LTT boot. I want this, and would prefer to buy from Baker's as they've been great for me in the past.

@Quack Attack

I have to imagine they won't do it for your own good. The guy behind Stitchdown did a softtoe LTT on his Maryam release wirh White's and you still get the gnarly "Worf" ridge

theofficialhung

Reaction score
@FutureComesToday @Alaskaking @PACostag

It doesn't seem like celastic really mitigates the likelihood of a ridge, I'd rather roll the dice and have the comfort of a soft toe. These are all celastic free LTT builds and I much prefer the aesthetic of the collapsed toe:

Screenshot_20211125-081736.png
Screenshot_20211125-080651.png
Screenshot_20211121-210821.png

Alaskaking

Reaction score

It doesn't seem like celastic really mitigates the likelihood of a ridge, I'd rather roll the dice and have the comfort of a soft toe. These are all celastic free LTT builds and I much prefer the aesthetic of the collapsed toe:

View attachment 1709835 View attachment 1709836 View attachment 1709837
I’m a soft toe guy as well.
I have no actual statistics, but my impression after looking at way too many LTT toes, that the olive waxed flesh hides the ridge better than some leathers…(note: I did not sleep at a holiday inn last night either, no telling the correctness of this sentiment)

klank74

Reaction score
I have 3 pairs of LTT, no ridge on any of them. Of course, they all have celastic toes and they’re in the 38 last. I don’t know if the last has anything to do with it.
F04AAAE3-38FA-4FCF-BB9D-D53CA54D02F2.jpeg
0132D8B5-6487-4807-BCD1-74DA301783E5.jpeg
6F2F3335-EE5A-4B11-BB79-E846A9DA8D4F.jpeg

schraiber

Reaction score
Anyone got a Stevens Dress Cap? I'm thinking of getting one on the annual sale, but unsure about sizing. I'm basically a brannock 10D-E, although my arch is more like an 10.5. I usually go 10D in most lasts, although it's usually a little narrow in the toe box. Probably my best fitting boot is an Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill in 10D. Hoping to get some sizing advice if any of y'all have any!

Widening Gyre

Reaction score
Anyone got a Stevens Dress Cap? I'm thinking of getting one on the annual sale, but unsure about sizing. I'm basically a brannock 10D-E, although my arch is more like an 10.5. I usually go 10D in most lasts, although it's usually a little narrow in the toe box. Probably my best fitting boot is an Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill in 10D. Hoping to get some sizing advice if any of y'all have any!

Take that info to Kyle at Bakers. He’ll sort you out. I do own a 5050 last MP in size 14E. I think I’m a 15D or E Brannock. But really, go with Kyle.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m a soft toe guy as well.
I have no actual statistics, but my impression after looking at way too many LTT toes, that the olive waxed flesh hides the ridge better than some leathers…(note: I did not sleep at a holiday inn last night either, no telling the correctness of this sentiment)

from my understanding and constant peppering of questions to Kyle is that it's all the leather-thickness game. I have some LTT coming in (hopefully soon????) in Bison, so we'll see how those go. I've heard the CXLs and work leathers are, generally, fine at hiding the Commander Worf ridge

FutureComesToday

Reaction score

Okay, maybe I've gotten the answer.

I talked to Mandy in the custom boot group at White's today, 11/26 ~12PM MST, she said they can do a LTT soft toe 350 Cutter (Bounty Hunter is based on the 350 line). I shared that the folks at Baker's were no-go on soft toe LTT, and Mandy shared that due to the number of Baker customer issues stemming from the ridge that frequently develops in the manufacturing process, they don't sell them that way through Baker's anymore. They are available soft-toe direct from White's, at least.

Talked to Bryson at Baker's after, and he re-confirmed they wouldn't be able to fill the order if soft toe.

So, just maybe, there we have it. The goose has been killed.

Last edited:

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
Just informed the 3rd pair of 690 Packers have been delivered - several weeks ahead of my mid-December expectation!

This may mean White's is catching up and making headway on our orders.

Pictures once boots are in hand.

Cheers,

theofficialhung

Reaction score
Okay, maybe I've gotten the answer.

I talked to Mandy in the customer boot group at White's today, 11/26 ~12PM MST, she said they can do a LTT soft toe 350 Cutter (Bounty Hunter is based on the 350 line). I shared that the folks at Baker's were no-go on soft toe LTT, and Mandy shared that due to the number of Baker customer issues stemming from the ridge that frequently develops in the manufacturing process, they don't sell them that way through Baker's anymore. They are available soft-toe direct from White's, at least.

Talked to Bryson at Baker's after, and he re-confirmed they wouldn't be able to fill the order if soft toe.

So, just maybe, there we have it. The goose has been killed.

Hmm was going to spring for maryam natty horse and I prefer to go through Bakers.

Properwawa

Reaction score
Just got my new pair in, specs below:

White’s Rambler (sorry LE ?)
Last: Swing
Leather: Navy horse rump by Maryam
Leather Liner: Cream
Lace Design: Plain Toe
Pull Loops: No Thanks
Celastic Toe Box: Single Celastic Toe
Toe Cap: Leather Toe Cap 4 row stitching
Stitching: contrast stitching-khaki
Steel Toe: No Thanks
Hardware: Brass Eyes & Hooks
Top: Rolled Top
Midsole: Single
Edge: Natural
Heel Base: Standard
Heel Lifts: Standard
Sole: Vibram sand crepe sole
Sole Trim: Close Trim (Single Row Stitch)
Height: 7 INCH
Size - Length: 6.5
Size - Width: E
Logos / Embossing: Yes - I want standard logos and embossing

A6D859E0-C212-40AE-B1D2-A71C4C083469.jpeg
3B84A715-D538-4D33-AB27-66AF55D5E3F1.jpeg
F7A8CDD4-8AC5-4DF4-9B73-89BA7DD0D763.jpeg
50D2129F-095B-45EB-B486-8108F9478327.jpeg

Checked them over and gotta say they are flawless. I’m really impressed and slightly in love.

klank74

Reaction score
Just got my new pair in, specs below:

White’s Rambler (sorry LE ?)
Last: Swing
Leather: Navy horse rump by Maryam
Leather Liner: Cream
Lace Design: Plain Toe
Pull Loops: No Thanks
Celastic Toe Box: Single Celastic Toe
Toe Cap: Leather Toe Cap 4 row stitching
Stitching: contrast stitching-khaki
Steel Toe: No Thanks
Hardware: Brass Eyes & Hooks
Top: Rolled Top
Midsole: Single
Edge: Natural
Heel Base: Standard
Heel Lifts: Standard
Sole: Vibram sand crepe sole
Sole Trim: Close Trim (Single Row Stitch)
Height: 7 INCH
Size - Length: 6.5
Size - Width: E
Logos / Embossing: Yes - I want standard logos and embossing

View attachment 1710713 View attachment 1710714 View attachment 1710715 View attachment 1710716

Checked them over and gotta say they are flawless. I’m really impressed and slightly in love.
Wow! Beautiful boots! Are they as light colored in person as they look in the pics? Does whites have black Maryam horse hide?

Properwawa

Reaction score
Wow! Beautiful boots! Are they as light colored in person as they look in the pics? Does whites have black Maryam horse hide?
Definitely on the lighter side, more of a muted steel blue under certain lighting. I’m excited about the patina potential, which seems like a common trait with my horse butt from Maryam so far.

Maybe reach out to Baker’s to see! I asked about blue anything and Kyle let me know about the navy horse booty

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads