• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"relatively" indeed!

FWIW, my size 10.5C brown dress SDs (close trim, standard heel, plain toe) weigh a little over 33oz each. They were my first pair of White's and, it turns out, my "least heavy" pair to date!
That's not heavy at all, well, for White's.
Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill boots with commando soles weigh almost the same.

wordfool

Reaction score
That's not heavy at all, well, for White's.
Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill boots with commando soles weigh almost the same.

Forgot to say mine have commando half-soles and are unlined. Yet despite this, and being an inch shorter, they're still heavier than the full-commando, lined Higgins Mills boots?! :-D

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot to say mine have commando half-soles and are unlined. Yet despite this, and being an inch shorter, they're still heavier than the full-commando, lined Higgins Mills boots?! :-D
Yes,AE HM (camouflage) boots have full commando soles and are lined. Do you happen to own them ?

wordfool

Reaction score
Yes,AE HM (camouflage) boots have full commando soles and are lined. Do you happen to own them ?

I do not... I assumed you did! AE boots don't really work on my skinny feet, but when trying them years ago I do recall finding them pretty light (or rather, a "normal" weight for a boot before I discovered White's)

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not... I assumed you did! AE boots don't really work on my skinny feet, but when trying them year ago I do recall finding them pretty light (or rather, a "normal" weight for a boot) before I discovered White's
You are right! I do own AEs, sold 12 pairs of AEs on Ebay, mostly boots.
I have to sell four remaing pairs of AEs which I hope will get me new White's.
It's tough to wear any other brand after trying custom made White's.

Widening Gyre

Reaction score
To those of you who own oil tanned boots, particularly in roughout: How do these hold up in rain, puddles, etc? I’ve read elsewhere that the distressed RO’s are notorious for soaking, which is a shame, since I eally like the look of that leather.

Tweedboy

Reaction score
To those of you who own oil tanned boots, particularly in roughout: How do these hold up in rain, puddles, etc? I’ve read elsewhere that the distressed RO’s are notorious for soaking, which is a shame, since I eally like the look of that leather.
I have a pair of red dog rough out semi dress. I wear them as casual boots, but never any issues

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on how you define soak. I have had Distressed RO and their is a fair amount of oil content. So water did tend to absorb (visually) but the boot never soaked through or became water logged by any means. Nothing like say a hydrophilic veg tan leather.

I find Distressed RO to be suitable for foul weather or tough conditions.

Widening Gyre

Reaction score
I guess it depends on how you define soak. I have had Distressed RO and their is a fair amount of oil content. So water did tend to absorb (visually) but the boot never soaked through or became water logged by any means. Nothing like say a hydrophilic veg tan leather.

I find Distressed RO to be suitable for foul weather or tough conditions.

All right, that’s the reassurance I needed. Honestly, my boots are rarely put through the wringer, but we get a lot of rain here in Scandinavia. Thanks!

Luscombe

Reaction score
Order June 16, arrived today. A little over 4 months. They were on the porch when I got home from work.
I laced them up and put them on like a little kid on Christmas morning.

Well, let me tell you, it's true. Man are these ever comfortable, right out of the box.
BH on the 5050 last, 10B, no celastic, medallion cap, British Tan, commando soles, antique hook & eyes. The fit is spot on. I can feel the arch support but it is not severe. The width is perfect and the toe box is fine. The toe box is a little more narrow than my SD's on 55 last and my MP's, both 10B. I looked very closely at the craftsmanship and as far as I can tell, they are perfect. I was concerned given the reports here of poor quality.

The boots are snug where they should be and I have no heel slippage. I can tell that they will just get more comfortable with age, especially after they break-in
20211018_184723 (1).jpg
20211018_184728.jpg
20211018_184723.jpg
. Wow, just wow. I now know what the hype is all about.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Order June 16, arrived today. A little over 4 months. They were on the porch when I got home from work.

Well, let me tell you, it's true. Man are these ever comfortable, right out of the box.
BH on the 5050 last, 10B, no celastic, medallion cap, British Tan, commando soles, antique hook & eyes. The fit is spot on. I can feel the arch support but it is not severe. The width is perfect and the toe box is fine. The toe box is a little more narrow than my SD's on 55 last and my MP's, both 10B. I looked very closely at the craftsmanship and as far as I can tell, they are perfect. I was concerned given the reports here of poor quality.

The boots are snug where they should be and I have no heel slippage. I can tell that they will just get more comfortable with age, especially after they break-in View attachment 1687972 View attachment 1687973 View attachment 1687974 . Wow, just wow. I now know what the hype is all about.
British tan is a great leather, I like it more than burgundy HH.

Percivilla

Reaction score

The boots are snug where they should be and I have no heel slippage. I can tell that they will just get more comfortable with age, especially after they break-in View attachment 1687972 View attachment 1687973 View attachment 1687974 . Wow, just wow. I now know what the hype is all about.

Oh man do those look great!

Do you know what your size and width are on a Brannock?

Luscombe

Reaction score
Oh man do those look great!

Do you know what your size and width are on a Brannock?
I am 11B on Brannock, heel to knuckle. length is 10-1/2. If I buy 10.5 B in normal shoes, they flex in the wrong spot and hurt my feet. My Whites sizing is dialed in at 10B on SD, MP Barrie and 5050. It has taken a couple of pairs to dial in my Whites' size.

I'll take some more photos tomorrow in the daytime. The 5050 last is very svelte and I really like the low profile toe.
The problem is, these boots are built like tanks. I don't think I can wear them out. I didn't really need this pair and I definitely don't "need" another pair. So tempting.....

iamntbatman

Reaction score
When it comes time, I'm definitely getting my MPs rebuilt on the 5050 last. Those look fantastic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads