• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Percivilla

Reaction score
Alright, I'm still as confused as ever...

Kyle has been great, but his replies are quite brief as I'm sure he's super busy, and I'm not sure we're understanding each other.

In an earlier reply he had mentioned that the 55 last runs a half size smaller than the MP last. I've mentioned several times that I'd like to go longer than my size 12d MP's, yet he's still recommending 12.5c. wouldn't that come out the same length as my MP's?

I've also read about how Bakers recommends one size down from Brannock which would put me in a 13. I'm just so gun shy about getting a boot that's too short. I'm leaning towards just ordering a 13 and if I've got a bit of room oh well.

I've asked him to just call me if he has time. I think something is being missed via email.

wordfool

Reaction score
My understanding is the opposite. That a 12 in the MP would be the same length as a 12.5 in the 55?

I was also told to order a half size smaller for the MP last versus the 55 last. Some people order the same size in both and are fine, so I’m not sure if it’s just us skinny-footed folk who need to go down a half size. In the end, my experience was that the MP last felt about a quarter size longer, not a half size. YMMV!

ThreeLions

Reaction score
My understanding is the opposite. That a 12 in the MP would be the same length as a 12.5 in the 55?

In my experience, that would be completely wrong. When comparing equal stated sizes, the 5050 last feels both shorter and narrower than the 55.

Of course, I got the very first pair of 5050 MPs that I know of. They were the first here on the forum, but I doubt that there were any changes to the lasts since then. I had wanted to order 12.5C, but C width lasts weren’t available for the 5050 at that time. Thank goodness as I think they would have been too narrow.

Percivilla

Reaction score
Alright, talked to Kyle on the phone and everything is cleared up. He was great, very thorough and personable!

We were indeed getting our wires crossed. I basically want a 55 lasted boot, that fits like my MP's but a half size longer, so we arrived at a 13c. He didn't recommend going to a B width as it's really narrow. He mentioned that leather would be a factor as well, but since I am leaning toward an oil tan work leather, C width should be narrow enough as those leathers don't stretch much compared to CXL's and the like.

At this point I'm settled on 55 last, lace to toe, no celastic, standard heel, close trim, Vibram 430, in... I dunno, distressed smooth maybe? Still thinking on leather.

klank74

Reaction score
Alright, talked to Kyle on the phone and everything is cleared up. He was great, very thorough and personable!

We were indeed getting our wires crossed. I basically want a 55 lasted boot, that fits like my MP's but a half size longer, so we arrived at a 13c. He didn't recommend going to a B width as it's really narrow. He mentioned that leather would be a factor as well, but since I am leaning toward an oil tan work leather, C width should be narrow enough as those leathers don't stretch much compared to CXL's and the like.

At this point I'm settled on 55 last, lace to toe, no celastic, standard heel, close trim, Vibram 430, in... I dunno, distressed smooth maybe? Still thinking on leather.
If your thinking about going with one of their “work” leathers, might I suggest Red Dog? I have it for one of my pairs of work boots and love it. It’s very durable, but breaks in easier than the black oil tan in my experience. Not sure about brown oil tan or distressed. I think it looks great. It’ll scuff up and show wear if your into that, but a simple wipe down with a damp rag and a little conditioner of your choosing and they look like new again.

The first pic are of mine when I was breaking them in. It’s an accurate representation of the color in person. I’ve seen numerous pics of boots in that leather online and it looks all different shades of red or brown depending on the lighting. The second pic is of someone else’s from this forum.
1AC141DC-1CA9-4C84-ACEC-F0AB5182E988.jpeg
E202E37D-25B6-4ACD-8DD1-6BEA81C15238.jpeg

Percivilla

Reaction score
If your thinking about going with one of their “work” leathers, might I suggest Red Dog? I have it for one of my pairs of work boots and love it. It’s very durable, but breaks in easier than the black oil tan in my experience. Not sure about brown oil tan or distressed. I think it looks great. It’ll scuff up and show wear if your into that, but a simple wipe down with a damp rag and a little conditioner of your choosing and they look like new again.

The first pic are of mine when I was breaking them in. It’s an accurate representation of the color in person. I’ve seen numerous pics of boots in that leather online and it looks all different shades of red or brown depending on the lighting. The second pic is of someone else’s from this forum.
View attachment 1685544 View attachment 1685545

Those both look great, but I'm afraid I'm just not a fan of red leathers.

Not sure what to go with at the moment, all black is a bit too "tactical", so probably the distressed smooth. Elk tan and brown dress look great too...

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
I am leaning toward an oil tan work leather

Firstly, I am all about White's oil tanned work leather offerings. I have boots in all of them sans Black: 2x Brown, 2x Distressed, 1x Red Dog that is pictured in the above post.. They all wear like iron, patina beautifully & take extreme cleaning well (saddle soap, scrub brush etc). The Brown is *probably* the best of them all. Its thick, rigid, looks good in rough out & after burnishing from wear you can put a slick shine on it(smooth side obv).

As for the boot specs, I only have 1 pairs of LTT but I do like the nature of how it fits compared standard. Ive never heard of anyone doing an unstructured LTT but I love the comfort & profile of a soft toe. Be interested in seeing how it looks and how you like it.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Firstly, I am all about White's oil tanned work leather offerings. I have boots in all of them sans Black: 2x Brown, 2x Distressed, 1x Red Dog that is pictured in the above post.. They all wear like iron, patina beautifully & take extreme cleaning well (saddle soap, scrub brush etc). The Brown is *probably* the best of them all. Its thick, rigid, looks good in rough out & after burnishing from wear you can put a slick shine on it(smooth side obv).

As for the boot specs, I only have 1 pairs of LTT but I do like the nature of how it fits compared standard. Ive never heard of anyone doing an unstructured LTT but I love the comfort & profile of a soft toe. Be interested in seeing how it looks and how you like it.
Please share pics of your brown and distressed smooth boots.

klank74

Reaction score
Those both look great, but I'm afraid I'm just not a fan of red leathers.

Not sure what to go with at the moment, all black is a bit too "tactical", so probably the distressed smooth. Elk tan and brown dress look great too...
You can never go wrong with brown dress! It’s probably my favorite out of the 4 different pair I have.
I was trying to avoid the “tactical” look with my black oil tan pair as well and I wound up liking them way more than I thought I would. Even my oldest son said he likes them and he really takes no interest in boots. Since you want to go with LTT, I think that style lends itself really well to a rough out lower and smooth upper. Or you can get really crazy and go two tone with two different leathers. You can go with contrast stitching too. I’ve seen some black ones with white contrast stitching on here that looked really good.

here’s my black oil tan. I’ve since put the kilties on them and switched to the leather laces.
2F3ACF63-74B7-4160-8BF7-F7A247CB4986.jpeg
E424970E-DB99-4742-8FBA-668363EB603B.jpeg

And here’s my SD’s in brown dress with khaki contrast stitching. Just trying to give you some ideas.

FD572D6D-CAEB-45B1-8A60-526C817961FE.jpeg

B9D88C74-77AA-430F-BB11-E3FB01FF4EE2.jpeg

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can never go wrong with brown dress! It’s probably my favorite out of the 4 different pair I have.
I was trying to avoid the “tactical” look with my black oil tan pair as well and I wound up liking them way more than I thought I would. Even my oldest son said he likes them and he really takes no interest in boots. Since you want to go with LTT, I think that style lends itself really well to a rough out lower and smooth upper. Or you can get really crazy and go two tone with two different leathers. You can go with contrast stitching too. I’ve seen some black ones with white contrast stitching on here that looked really good.

here’s my black oil tan. I’ve since put the kilties on them and switched to the leather laces.
View attachment 1685701 View attachment 1685702
And here’s my SD’s in brown dress with khaki contrast stitching. Just trying to give you some ideas.

View attachment 1685710
View attachment 1685714
This might sound strange but how much do your boots weigh?
I am thinking of ordering a relatively"lighter" pair of White's boots.

klank74

Reaction score
I don’t know, I’ve never actually weighed any of them. I will say this, my 8” SJ’s in Red Dog ( unlined ), with the double midsoles feel like bricks strapped to my feet. My SD’s in brown dress ( lined, pictured above) are definitely the lightest and feel like sneakers in comparison. My goal with the black SJ’s ( also pictured above) was actually to get them as light as possible for those days at work where I didn’t feel like stomping around in the heavy Red Dog ones. They are 6” and unlined. They don’t really feel a whole lot heavier than the SD’s.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That brown dress leather is beautiful. It looks brand new.

Percivilla

Reaction score

View attachment 1685701 View attachment 1685702

View attachment 1685710
View attachment 1685714

Oh wow, black with the contrast stitching looks really good! Thanks for posting the pics!

I have often seen comments on how underrated Whites "work" leathers are, these are going to be my $hit kickin' do anything boots, so the tougher the better!

Percivilla

Reaction score

I didn't realize LTT with soft toe was unusual? Figured it'd be common with firefighters?

I'm mostly trying to avoid a bulbous toe being tall and skinny with big feet.

Does the brown smooth develop more character with time? It's a bit one dimensional brand new.

wordfool

Reaction score

"relatively" indeed!

FWIW, my size 10.5C brown dress SDs (close trim, standard heel, plain toe) weigh a little over 33oz each. They were my first pair of White's and, it turns out, my "least heavy" pair to date!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads