• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Water shrinks leather. Try soaking the boots in warm water, then letting them completely dry out. Rinse and repeat (pun intended).
Wouldn't this shrink the boots everywhere? Experts will have a better Idea, I am just learning :)

wordfool

Reaction score
You could just soak the toe area, or do a full "shrink to fit" thing by putting on the boots and standing in warm water until they start to soak up water then wearing them until largely dry -- or better still, soak for an hour in a bucket and use a hair dryer to dry them fastest in the area you want to shrink.

I'm not sure the sort of oil and wax stuffed leathers that White‘s uses is going to shrink much this way (unsanforized denim it ain't), and too much drying heat should probably be avoided. some people swear by the water-immersion method of breaking in boots, although I suspect that's more about wet-stretching certain areas.

Last edited:

krebsy

Reaction score
Brit Tan Domain Semi Dress.
IMG_20210926_093134138_PORTRAIT_2.jpg

KiaVet

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with mismate boots? Kyle from Baker advised I go with a 9F right and a 9.5E left based on my fit sheet for the MP 55 horsehide boots I ordered. I messaged Nick's as I'm in need of more boots (none of my boots in my 2E collection unfortunately fit well anymore) and they messaged me back saying they don't recommend mismate. I am worried I'm going to wait 4-5 months for the build to get a pair I'm not happy with. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jsanchez

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with mismate boots? Kyle from Baker advised I go with a 9F right and a 9.5E left based on my fit sheet for the MP 55 horsehide boots I ordered. I messaged Nick's as I'm in need of more boots (none of my boots in my 2E collection unfortunately fit well anymore) and they messaged me back saying they don't recommend mismate. I am worried I'm going to wait 4-5 months for the build to get a pair I'm not happy with. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Take any advice with a grain of salt. I own three pairs of mismatched bounty hunters boots. The size is as follows:
left boot size 6E and the right size 6.5E.

After a purchasing a couple of pairs of western boots in size 6.5 E for both feet and finding that this sizing was working for me, I became curious if I could pull of a pair of White's in size 6.5 E for both feet. I decided to roll the dice.

I now own two additional pairs of bounty hunters both sized at 6.5 E for both feet. I found that the 55 last is fairly forgiving and the difference between half size is very small. I like my boots on the roomier size so I now get my boots in 6.5 E. The mismatched boots fit very well with the left foot feeling slightly more snug but not uncomfortable, for me going mismatched was probably the best fit, but prefer the two boots the same size because I like the small bit of extra room.

Hope this helps.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I was originally sized by Kyle as a mismate as well - 11E left an 10.5EE right. As my first pair of 55 last boots broke in, I started to feel like there was just a bit too much room at the ball of the foot on the right boot, and just a bit too much toe rub for my liking. I went with straight 11E for my second pair on that last and I think the fit is even more perfect.

But yeah, grains of salt everywhere as everyone's feet are different. If there's a significant difference I'd definitely go with their sizing advice, but if you're off by just a half size or something, you may be able to get away with getting the same size for both boots and avoiding the mismate upcharge.

Hellraysaz

Reaction score
Here are the results of the sizing made by Baker's for the purchase of my MPs on the 5050 last:

L = 12EE with an open instep wide
R = 12F with an open instep wide

I was hesitant at first, but looking at my own tracings, it's fairly obvious my right foot is much wider than my left.

Now being aware of this, it's pretty noticeable that in any given pair of sneakers, boots, etc. I'll either have
A) The right foot be a little tight and the left foot feel right
B) The right foot feel right and the left foot feel a bit loose

Most of my pairs fall into category A.

Having worn the 5050 MPs a bit now, I feel like they are a very good compromise. Both feet feel almost as snug as the other one.

One thing to remain aware of though, is that a mismate pair will carry a slightly uneven look.
How much you'll care or notice really depends on you.

Personally, if Baker's suggested I'd go mismated for my next pair, I would not hesitate to do it.

Comfort > slight unevenness for me.

imwalker

Reaction score
My Bounty Hunters and 55-last MP are not only mismated (10.5E left, 10.5EE right) but I also have a heel adjustment on the right boots because I tend to heavily pronate on that side. All on Kyle's recommendation. I've found that despite my right foot being wider in the ball, it seems to be the same or even narrower everywhere else so I actually end up lacing the right boot a little tighter. It's a little less obvious with false tongues in (which I usually use), so this photo shows it at its most pronounced. This said, I don't think a second party looking at my feet would ever notice that there is a difference between them, either in width or in the shape of the heel. I practically have to get out measuring tape to tell the difference between the two boots when they're not on my feet.

Personally, now that I have dialed in this sizing and adjustments, I am finding it difficult to ever want to wear anything other than my White's on my annoyingly asymmetrical feet.

boots.jpg

Phalanx

Reaction score
My Bounty Hunters and 55-last MP are not only mismated (10.5E left, 10.5EE right) but I also have a heel adjustment on the right boots because I tend to heavily pronate on that side. All on Kyle's recommendation. I've found that despite my right foot being wider in the ball, it seems to be the same or even narrower everywhere else so I actually end up lacing the right boot a little tighter. It's a little less obvious with false tongues in (which I usually use), so this photo shows it at its most pronounced. This said, I don't think a second party looking at my feet would ever notice that there is a difference between them, either in width or in the shape of the heel. I practically have to get out measuring tape to tell the difference between the two boots when they're not on my feet.

Personally, now that I have dialed in this sizing and adjustments, I am finding it difficult to ever want to wear anything other than my White's on my annoyingly asymmetrical feet.

View attachment 1676010

Out of sheer interest, could you go into a little more detail regarding what a "heel adjustment" is please?

imwalker

Reaction score
Out of sheer interest, could you go into a little more detail regarding what a "heel adjustment" is please?

As far as I can tell there is an adjustment to the heel stack which causes the heel (of the foot) to slant upwards to the left just a tiny bit. It is either a shift in where the base is, or maybe an extra little wedge of leather in the stack somewhere. Visually, it's subtle to the point of almost not being noticeable at all. Brandon at Baker's called it "clicking out the heel." It corrects pronation. Presumably there is also an opposite adjustment for supination, because when I sent the boot to Drew's to have it done they called to confirm which direction my foot slants. Before I had this done my right foot was always wanting to twist counterclockwise inside the boot like it was turning a doorknob, and would rarely sit flat.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I can tell there is an adjustment to the heel stack which causes the heel (of the foot) to slant upwards to the left just a tiny bit. It is either a shift in where the base is, or maybe an extra little wedge of leather in the stack somewhere. Visually, it's subtle to the point of almost not being noticeable at all. Brandon at Baker's called it "clicking out the heel." It corrects pronation. Presumably there is also an opposite adjustment for supination, because when I sent the boot to Drew's to have it done they called to confirm which direction my foot slants. Before I had this done my right foot was always wanting to twist counterclockwise inside the boot like it was turning a doorknob, and would rarely sit flat.
I do have slight pronation, I will ask about heel adjustment when I order next time.
There are so many great things White's and Baker's offer that I most probably will not buy another brand.

Phalanx

Reaction score

Christ it's little things like this that you just don't know exist. I feel like everyone is going to ask about this now; heck, I actually have supination which could be remedied by such an adjustment!

Jimk4003

Reaction score
Christ it's little things like this that you just don't know exist. I feel like everyone is going to ask about this now; heck, I actually have supination which could be remedied by such an adjustment!
Here's a quick video by JK boots that shows how they adjust their boots to correct gait. I'm assuming White's are doing something similar.

wordfool

Reaction score
I do have slight pronation, I will ask about heel adjustment when I order next time.
There are so many great things White's and Baker's offer that I most probably will not buy another brand.

I wonder if heel adjustment is better suited for severe pronation rather than mild to moderate over-pronation that can generally be alleviated by good arch support. Apparently the majority of people (up to 60% from what I've read) over-pronate to some degree but I suspect most don't even know it or get along fine with "normal" shoes/boots.

As a runner I've had my gait analyzed (it was alarming to see how much my ankles/feet bent and flexed in slow motion on a treadmill) and I now tend to wear only "motion control" running shoes, although apparently there's not much evidence that they make a difference compared to neutral shoes when it comes to preventing injuries in the long term. Motion control running shoes are designed to provide slightly more arch support and to prevent the inside of the heel/sole from compressing too much as your foot naturally rolls inwards, not about tilting your foot in the first place (most over-pronators' feet land more or less flat then roll inwards; only severe pronators/supinators AFAIK strike heavily with one edge of the foot/heel). I imagine the rock hard sole and heel of a pair of White's is going to be just as good, or better, at preventing foot roll as you walk than a pair of mushy-soled running shoes.

The ultimate test is whether you suffer from shin splints or knee problems when wearing White's -- both symptoms of excessive pronation, but both also potentially caused by any number of other fit-related issues, especially in a pair of hand-made (ie. potentially flawed, asymmetrical) boots with higher-than-average heels that weigh 4lb per foot!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads