• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phalanx

Reaction score
I've found with White's boots that my big toe (my feet are a bit flipper shaped)

Some where @Legal Eagles is missing the opportunity to

A. Steer you to the 38 swing last
B. Confirm your desire for HH

Even though my big toe requires the swing last BEFORE breaking in, I would hesitate to say the horsehide “happily stretches” from tight to comfortably loose, as much as “gently conforms” around my foot. I like the leather and it is very comfortable to me, though I don’t think it’s particularly extravagant either. My HH pair are indeed my “fancy boots “, but I’m sure they would handle other applications fine.

For your check list, these have the antique eyelets- they have moved towards brass color with age with a more muted color.Starting with brass will give you more of a contrast I’m sure. Happy Buying!!!

Appreciate your thoughts and those are some fantastic looking boots. Someday I'll check out the swing last I'm sure.

Do not expect horsehide to stretch much, if at all.

Hmm, I wonder if in this case, I should forego HH and wait for a later sale and get something like brown CXL. I'm not sure if I'm ballsy enough to get a leather that doesn't stretch much. Ignoring the fact I didn't have much luck with my 55-last BH, the Brown Dress leather is fantastic and still probably my favourite leather by White's.

I wonder if getting my BHs relasted on the 55 last would be a good substitute; I'm not even sure if that's possible.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, at Bakers, are the Black, Brown & Burgundy the only colours in Horse Hide for upgrade or otherwise ?
Are there currently, or were there in the past, any other colours in HH apart from the above three ?
I am waiting for my first pair of White's - Steven's in Burgundy Horsehide - sometime in Oct / Nov and looking forward to them.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, at Bakers, are the Black, Brown & Burgundy the only colours in Horse Hide for upgrade or otherwise ?
Are there currently, or were there in the past, any other colours in HH apart from the above three ?
I am waiting for my first pair of White's - Steven's in Burgundy Horsehide - sometime in Oct / Nov and looking forward to them.
The colors you mentioned are available as you could see on their website.
If memory serves natural horse hide was an option in the past.

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
I would ask Kyle if there is a specific color you had in mind. I asked about navy HH for my last Wesco build and he was able to get some Horween Navy HH for me.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The colors you mentioned are available as you could see on their website.
If memory serves natural horse hide was an option in the past.

Thanks. So follow up question (for all) - would the Natural HH patina like crazy (& fairly quick) ?

I would ask Kyle if there is a specific color you had in mind. I asked about navy HH for my last Wesco build and he was able to get some Horween Navy HH for me.

Thanks for that, will keep it in mind when I am ready for the next one. Want to make sure the sizing etc on the first pair is on point prior to going for the next one.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. So follow up question (for all) - would the Natural HH patina like crazy (& fairly quick) ?

Thanks for that, will keep it in mind when I am ready for the next one. Want to make sure the sizing etc on the first pair is on point prior to going for the next one.
I have burgundy HH and it got darker with time.
I wouldn't call it patina. I think HH is a tough leather.
I asked for natural HH during Father's day but Baker's couldn't get it, ended up ordering a second pair of Burgundy HH.

KiaVet

Reaction score
Please help with sizing. Ordered my first pair of White's yesterday from Baker's and I'm second guessing the size I chose.
I ordered the MP boot in black HH in the 55 last (I have wide feet and tall/wide toes). I ordered them in a 9 EE. I don't want to wait for them to be built and wished I ordered them in a 9.5 EE.

The boots I have now are as follows:
Viberg 2055 (EE fit) service boot - Size 9 - top presses on my toes, width is fine but not very comfortable for extended wear

Tricker's Grassmere - Size 9 - fit 6 which is their wide, great fit overall

RM Williams - Size 9 H - kinda tight but works perfect with dress socks

Iron Ranger - Size 9 EE - have had the longest, awesome fit

Alden 401 - 9.5 EE - have yet to wear, waiting on Alden to custom make these. I tried on the 405 in 9 EE and 9.5 EE and the 9 EE was way to tight in the toes. Seeing the MP boot is also on the Barrie last makes me think I would be closer to the Alden sizing than the other boots I have, but it's the only that is 9.5

Attached a photo of my collection I have going now. Thanks for any help.
IMG_2639.jpg

Phalanx

Reaction score
Please help with sizing. Ordered my first pair of White's yesterday from Baker's and I'm second guessing the size I chose.
I ordered the MP boot in black HH in the 55 last (I have wide feet and tall/wide toes). I ordered them in a 9 EE. I don't want to wait for them to be built and wished I ordered them in a 9.5 EE.

The boots I have now are as follows:
Viberg 2055 (EE fit) service boot - Size 9 - top presses on my toes, width is fine but not very comfortable for extended wear

Tricker's Grassmere - Size 9 - fit 6 which is their wide, great fit overall

RM Williams - Size 9 H - kinda tight but works perfect with dress socks

Iron Ranger - Size 9 EE - have had the longest, awesome fit

Alden 401 - 9.5 EE - have yet to wear, waiting on Alden to custom make these. I tried on the 405 in 9 EE and 9.5 EE and the 9 EE was way to tight in the toes. Seeing the MP boot is also on the Barrie last makes me think I would be closer to the Alden sizing than the other boots I have, but it's the only that is 9.5

Attached a photo of my collection I have going now. Thanks for any help.

For me, I'm a size 13 UK in Trickers, 13 US Iron Rangers, 13 Viberg 1035 last and White's in 13 US (MP and 55 last) fits similarly so I think you should be good. Like you, I've also found RM Williams (in 13 UK) to fit poorly.

The MP last is often called the Barrie last too, but it's been scaled to be congruent with the sizing of the 55-last. It's not the same last as what Alden uses so it's wrong to make a direct comparison.

Having said that, if you have any concerns about the fit, it's probably worth the time to send in your foot tracings; that little bit of effort could save you a lot of hassle in the long run.

KiaVet

Reaction score
For me, I'm a size 13 UK in Trickers, 13 US Iron Rangers, 13 Viberg 1035 last and White's in 13 US (MP and 55 last) fits similarly so I think you should be good. Like you, I've also found RM Williams (in 13 UK) to fit poorly.

The MP last is often called the Barrie last too, but it's been scaled to be congruent with the sizing of the 55-last. It's not the same last as what Alden uses so it's wrong to make a direct comparison.

Having said that, if you have any concerns about the fit, it's probably worth the time to send in your foot tracings; that little bit of effort could save you a lot of hassle in the long run.
Thanks, you're right. I just reached out to Baker's, I hope they will let me do the change.

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
Taking advantage of some quiet time here and on the thread.

Thought I would post my very first pair of White's - Farmer Rancher, red dog, double midsole block heel. Still my favorite, beautiful boots. Used exclusively in an office environment, so they really don't have much wear (circa 2015).

Farm Ranch.jpg

Also picked up a clearance pair of Nick's Builder Pro 67s (highest arch) at a great price for use as property boots, no time on these yet, just oiled and ready for action.

Build Pro 67.jpg

chicagoan2016, did you put in your 695 Packer order? Curious, as I was thinking of a black 690 and, gasp, celastic toe under a quad stitch toe cap - a first for me.

No change to build times listed on Baker's, was worth a look.

Anyone have any special preps to the their boots for winter exposure? (Still in the 90s here and already thinking snow ... )

Cheers,

Last edited:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thought I would post my very first pair of White's - Farmer Rancher, red dog, double midsole block heel. Still my favorite, beautiful boots. Used exclusively in an office environment, so they really don't have much wear (circa 2015).

View attachment 1652226

Also picked up a clearance pair of Nick's Builder Pro 67s (highest arch) at a great price for use as property boots, no time on these yet, just oiled and ready for action.

View attachment 1652229

chicagoan2016, did you put in your 695 Packer order? Curious, as I was thinking of a black 690 and, gasp, celastic toe under a quad stitch toe cap - a first for me.

Anyone have any special preps to the their boots for winter exposure? (Still in the 90s here and already thinking snow ... )

Cheers,
My winter prep is to put the White's away and dig these out... I am in Maine after all, and these are De rigeur for winter wear...
1628793729608.png

I know the White's can take it, but I hate the idea of wearing $500+ dollar boots in snow, slush, and salt.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1652226

View attachment 1652229

Cheers,
First off those Farmer Ranchers are yummy!!! That also makes me feel good about my choice of red dog for Packers 690.
I did end up ordering elastic toes on all orders for Father's day sale.
At the risk of sounding boastful (poor Software Engineer here), I ordered three pairs during FD sale.
1) Bounty hunters burgundy horse hide (second pair, love this leather), celastic toes, no toe caps, 100 lug soles and double midsoles (of course).
2) Packers 690, red dog leather, 100 lug soles, celastic toes and double midsoles (you know how much I love double midsoles), no toe caps.
3) 695 pointed toe packers in black dress, black hardware and black thread. single midsole (gasp!), 430 soles and celastic toes --- planning to use these as dress boots, wish me luck!!!

Edit: just realized it's my 1000th post on this thread!!!!

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
First off those Farmer Ranchers are yummy!!! That also makes me feel good about my choice of red dog for Packers 690.
I did end up ordering elastic toes on all orders for Father's day sale.
At the risk of sounding boastful (poor Software Engineer here), I ordered three pairs during FD sale.
1) Bounty hunters burgundy horse hide (second pair, love this leather), celastic toes, no toe caps, 100 lug soles and double midsoles (of course).
2) Packers 690, red dog leather, 100 lug soles, celastic toes and double midsoles (you know how much I love double midsoles), no toe caps.
3) 695 pointed toe packers in black dress, black hardware and black thread. single midsole (gasp!), 430 soles and celastic toes --- planning to use these as dress boots, wish me luck!!!

Edit: just realized it's my 1000th post on this thread!!!!

1,000 posts - that's a milestone!

I'm really leaning toward another 690, may not even wait for November - that's too long in the queue for my comfort.

Those 695s sound like a perfect dress boot, something I still have not filled - yet. Don't think I could pull off the pointed toe, so probably the 690.

I don't own a single Semi-Dress pair - I always went for 6" Farmer Ranchers, more durable construction overall and that full gusset tongue. And now those 5" models are more than the FRs!

Definitely need a black model in the lineup, leaning toward black dress, so I'm very curious to see your 695s when they arrive.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads