• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
So after getting my second pair of SJ’s almost 3 months ago, I unfortunately had to send them back to be redone due to the left one being lasted crooked. I finally got the new pair a couple weeks ago. My goal with these was for a lighter pair of work boots for those days I don’t feel like wearing my 8” SJ’s with double midsoles. This time I went with a single midsole and 6” height. I’m so glad I did as these already feel more comfortable. I decided to try rough out this time, with a smooth upper. And uncharacteristically for myself, I went with black (oil tan). I’ve actually gotten some compliments on them at work already. When I started wearing my first pair in Red Dog, it usually went something like “ whoa, what are those?” When I started wearing these this week, it usually went like “ wow, those are really nice!” Anyways, here they are as I received them, and then after treating the midsoles with some Fiebing’s Resolene and hitting the leather with some Obenaufs HDLP. View attachment 1646251 View attachment 1646252 View attachment 1646253 View attachment 1646254 View attachment 1646255 View attachment 1646256

Klank74--

I really like you SJ-lite version!

Since ordering my Packers, I have dreams where they arrive in rough out black, maybe a sign?

Expect you'll have a rapid break-in process with those single midsoles. Let us know how they do in your work environment with the oil, grease and dirt exposure you were mentioning.

Do you plan to use these during winter conditions? Wondering what snow/slush/water exposure will do if they are HDLP conditioned? My Hathorn RPs were exposed to winter without the HDLP and pretty sure they absorbed and warped the midsole and foot bed.

Cheers,

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So after getting my second pair of SJ’s almost 3 months ago, I unfortunately had to send them back to be redone due to the left one being lasted crooked. I finally got the new pair a couple weeks ago. My goal with these was for a lighter pair of work boots for those days I don’t feel like wearing my 8” SJ’s with double midsoles. This time I went with a single midsole and 6” height. I’m so glad I did as these already feel more comfortable. I decided to try rough out this time, with a smooth upper. And uncharacteristically for myself, I went with black (oil tan). I’ve actually gotten some compliments on them at work already. When I started wearing my first pair in Red Dog, it usually went something like “ whoa, what are those?” When I started wearing these this week, it usually went like “ wow, those are really nice!” Anyways, here they are as I received them, and then after treating the midsoles with some Fiebing’s Resolene and hitting the leather with some Obenaufs HDLP. View attachment 1646251 View attachment 1646252 View attachment 1646253 View attachment 1646254 View attachment 1646255 View attachment 1646256
Wow that nap almost blends in with the smooth leather after a coat of HDLP. How does it feel afterwards?

klank74

Reaction score
Klank74--

I really like you SJ-lite version!

Since ordering my Packers, I have dreams where they arrive in rough out black, maybe a sign?

Expect you'll have a rapid break-in process with those single midsoles. Let us know how they do in your work environment with the oil, grease and dirt exposure you were mentioning.

Do you plan to use these during winter conditions? Wondering what snow/slush/water exposure will do if they are HDLP conditioned? My Hathorn RPs were exposed to winter without the HDLP and pretty sure they absorbed and warped the midsole and foot bed.

Cheers,
Yes, break in will definitely be much quicker on these. I’m honestly surprised at how flexible the black oil tan is already. Don’t get me wrong, it’s stiff, but it ain’t got nothin on my olive waxed flesh BH’s at home.

i didn’t condition the midsoles with the HDLP. I lightly sanded those and tested them with Resolene. I’m really impressed with that stuff. I did 3 coats of that stuff to my other SJ’s and it does a pretty good job of holding up to dings and water. The edge dressing that Whites uses starts coming off the moment you start walking through some wet grass.

klank74

Reaction score
Wow that nap almost blends in with the smooth leather after a coat of HDLP. How does it feel afterwards?
To me, it almost looks like waxed flesh ( which I guess it sorta is), but it feels oily and the nap definitely disturbs much easier than waxed flesh. I probably used too much this first time. To be honest, I sorta regret doing it. I liked the look of the rough out against the smooth. But they are for work and I was after protection, not looks. I’m tempted to order another pair in the same configuration, when I have the money, for a casual pair. Maybe opt for white contrast stitching on the whole boot.

Phalanx

Reaction score
Kyle told me they can do a combo MP last so looks like i'm going to get some Horsehide MPs ordered this weekend.

I'm still not sure if I should actually be going with Horsehide as I basically want a pair of boots that I can wear pretty much all the time and they'll be as comfortable as possible. Is HH the sort of leather which will happily stretch and form to the shape of your feet or is it too tough to do so?

Concurrently, I compiled a selection of almost 40 images from this thread of White's Horsehide Leather boots: enjoy

Bronco68

Reaction score
Just received a call from Bryson at Baker’s letting me know they just received my order from White’s. I placed the order in store with Kyle on May 4. I told Kyle that when they come in…don’t ship them because I will make a return visit and try them on in the store and if they fit, they don’t have to ship them I’ll just take them with me, but if they don’t fit…you know what to do with them. Bryson was calling to confirm if they were to ship them or hold on to them. I confirmed that I was making a return visit to try on, etc. Bryson confirmed some of the build specs were correct and the most important which was the mixed sizing. He sent me some pictures of the lineup…

Attachments

• 081ADBBD-850C-4AC0-8480-16F990BF6270.jpeg
    081ADBBD-850C-4AC0-8480-16F990BF6270.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 144
  • F44FA6F1-1B3D-4301-A54C-4B424CD4A83E.jpeg
    F44FA6F1-1B3D-4301-A54C-4B424CD4A83E.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 5727E256-9525-472E-AA92-0A5A8192B7F6.jpeg
    5727E256-9525-472E-AA92-0A5A8192B7F6.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 152

klank74

Reaction score
Just received a call from Bryson at Baker’s letting me know they just received my order from White’s. I placed the order in store with Kyle on May 4. I told Kyle that when they come in…don’t ship them because I will make a return visit and try them on in the store and if they fit, they don’t have to ship them I’ll just take them with me, but if they don’t fit…you know what to do with them. Bryson was calling to confirm if they were to ship them or hold on to them. I confirmed that I was making a return visit to try on, etc. Bryson confirmed some of the build specs were correct and the most important which was the mixed sizing. He sent me some pictures of the lineup…
Nice! I wish I could make the trip out there sometime. Is the one on the left Bison?

Alaskaking

Reaction score
Kyle told me they can do a combo MP last so looks like i'm going to get some Horsehide MPs ordered this weekend.

I'm still not sure if I should actually be going with Horsehide as I basically want a pair of boots that I can wear pretty much all the time and they'll be as comfortable as possible. Is HH the sort of leather which will happily stretch and form to the shape of your feet or is it too tough to do so?

Concurrently, I compiled a selection of almost 40 images from this thread of White's Horsehide Leather boots: enjoy

I've found with White's boots that my big toe (my feet are a bit flipper shaped)

Some where @Legal Eagles is missing the opportunity to

A. Steer you to the 38 swing last
B. Confirm your desire for HH

Even though my big toe requires the swing last BEFORE breaking in, I would hesitate to say the horsehide “happily stretches” from tight to comfortably loose, as much as “gently conforms” around my foot. I like the leather and it is very comfortable to me, though I don’t think it’s particularly extravagant either. My HH pair are indeed my “fancy boots “, but I’m sure they would handle other applications fine.

For your check list, these have the antique eyelets- they have moved towards brass color with age with a more muted color.Starting with brass will give you more of a contrast I’m sure. Happy Buying!!!
image.jpg 97ACEB03-0757-4AC1-B7A9-A5FDBC46B6D1.jpeg

Alaskaking

Reaction score

hmmm ?
Some how I put my reply to @Phalanx inside the last quote from @Phalanx ,
Not tech savvy…. Or planning on fixing it- I hope you can read it if you want. My opinion is very important after all.

Bronco68

Reaction score
Nice! I wish I could make the trip out there sometime. Is the one on the left Bison?

No it’s a leather that Kyle had received from a British tannery that he opened while I was there. He called it Rambler and the color was Cognac.

Attachments

• ED3B1499-8671-4CD6-BFF0-9D6DAA03A9AC.jpeg
    ED3B1499-8671-4CD6-BFF0-9D6DAA03A9AC.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 117
  • DD1FB6FA-3A55-4743-B618-981853786B41.jpeg
    DD1FB6FA-3A55-4743-B618-981853786B41.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 176

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oooo do i see some rambler leather?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some where @Legal Eagles is missing the opportunity to

A. Steer you to the 38 swing last
B. Confirm your desire for HH

I am here, just crazy busy... but I have trained my fellow members well:

1) Yes, Horsehide... good!
2) Yes, 38 Swing... good!
3) 38 Swing with HH... perfection!

Go forth and proselytize the gospel of the 38 Swing HH!

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am here, just crazy busy... but I have trained my fellow members well:

1) Yes, Horsehide... good!
2) Yes, 38 Swing... good!
3) 38 Swing with HH... perfection!

Go forth and proselytize the gospel of the 38 Swing HH!
Legal Eagles is back!

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do not expect horsehide to stretch much, if at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads