• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Alexidb are they smoke jumpers?
I like the leather.

klank74

Reaction score
These fellas arrived Monday, stiff and heavy as all get out! Wearing them s bit each day to break them in. Have some tree work to do on Sunday, hopefully they’ll be s bit more comfortable by then. View attachment 1645819 View attachment 1645820 View attachment 1645819 View attachment 1645820
What leather is that? I don’t believe I’ve seen that one before. I thought my other Whites were heavy until I got some 8” LTT, SJ’s with a double midsole. Now my other Whites feel like sneakers compared to them.?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@klank74 how heavy are the smokejumpers?
My 8 inches bounty hunters with double midsoles weigh more than 8 lbs, each boot is 4 lbs 2oz.

klank74

Reaction score
@klank74 how heavy are the smokejumpers?
My 8 inches bounty hunters with double midsoles weigh more than 8 lbs, each boot is 4 lbs 2oz.
Should be about the same. It’s basically the same boot, just a different last than yours ( I had them made on the 38 swing last). I should add that mine are really only SJ’s in name. Mine aren’t the certified fire fighting version with the Kevlar thread and such. Mine are made in red dog with honey vibram soles. I could have ordered BH’s and got the same thing, but I ordered SJ’s so I would get screws in them to help hold the soles on ( I work around grease and oil), since they don’t stitch through the outsole on a double midsole boot. Glad I did because the glue is already starting to let go on the front edge of my left one

Last edited:

Phalanx

Reaction score
Man, my try-on pair of 13D MP boots arrived this evening and they almost fit perfectly. The only issue is the area across the vamp below the eyelets is a bit too tight which I'm assuming suggests I need to go up a width in the toes. The heel area fits perfectly however so I've sent an email asking if a combo-last can be made on the MP last (13 E/D). Length is great and as always, I'll go unstructured toe-box so my toes don't rub so hard against the celastic.

Here's a picture with the problem area highlighted:
1627597544413.png

I think the only other question is I'm pretty convinced I'm going to go with the brown horsehide (and I think I've decided on antique eyes and hooks); does horsehide need to be lined? I think I prefer unlined boots.

Thanks all.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Phalanx
As far as I know horse hide needs to be lined.
I order leather lining on all leathers.
I am surprised you are worried about your toes rubbing against cleastic toes.
I think it should be the other way around since unstructured toes can collapse.

theofficialhung

Reaction score
What leather is that? I don’t believe I’ve seen that one before. I thought my other Whites were heavy until I got some 8” LTT, SJ’s with a double midsole. Now my other Whites feel like sneakers compared to them.?

Looks like Desert Sand Roughout. Pretty tough looking build.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
Man, my try-on pair of 13D MP boots arrived this evening and they almost fit perfectly. The only issue is the area across the vamp below the eyelets is a bit too tight which I'm assuming suggests I need to go up a width in the toes. The heel area fits perfectly however so I've sent an email asking if a combo-last can be made on the MP last (13 E/D). Length is great and as always, I'll go unstructured toe-box so my toes don't rub so hard against the celastic.

Here's a picture with the problem area highlighted:
View attachment 1646177

I think the only other question is I'm pretty convinced I'm going to go with the brown horsehide (and I think I've decided on antique eyes and hooks); does horsehide need to be lined? I think I prefer unlined boots.

Thanks all.
You can go unlined if that's what you prefer. 'Unlined' only refers to the rear/shaft of the boot anyway, as the MP has a lined vamp as standard regardless.

Lots of makers make unlined horsehide boots, including tall boots like engineers, so there's no inherent reason horsehide needs to be lined.

Alexidb

Reaction score
That’s what I wondered, but the pics made it look like it almost had a greenish tint to it.
They’re listed as “Desert Storm” but I think they’re actually desert sand. I guess the green might be grass reflection? It’s verdant as **** here with all the rain.

klank74

Reaction score
So after getting my second pair of SJ’s almost 3 months ago, I unfortunately had to send them back to be redone due to the left one being lasted crooked. I finally got the new pair a couple weeks ago. My goal with these was for a lighter pair of work boots for those days I don’t feel like wearing my 8” SJ’s with double midsoles. This time I went with a single midsole and 6” height. I’m so glad I did as these already feel more comfortable. I decided to try rough out this time, with a smooth upper. And uncharacteristically for myself, I went with black (oil tan). I’ve actually gotten some compliments on them at work already. When I started wearing my first pair in Red Dog, it usually went something like “ whoa, what are those?” When I started wearing these this week, it usually went like “ wow, those are really nice!” Anyways, here they are as I received them, and then after treating the midsoles with some Fiebing’s Resolene and hitting the leather with some Obenaufs HDLP.
36147412-16C1-49CA-98EC-411A0494EB1A.jpeg
43360EF4-4DA1-42D7-8AB0-45A79F88B3CD.jpeg
31522AC8-24FD-4E34-8379-78FD4EFBF0F5.jpeg
541227AA-C74B-40CD-9D4D-F171358D5335.jpeg
55A938AC-6EF2-452C-B22E-93DC84795E59.jpeg
440790EE-BDF8-4B82-95BA-04A583EA3A85.jpeg

Phalanx

Reaction score
@Phalanx
As far as I know horse hide needs to be lined.
I order leather lining on all leathers.
I am surprised you are worried about your toes rubbing against cleastic toes.
I think it should be the other way around since unstructured toes can collapse.

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. I've found with White's boots that my big toe (my feet are a bit flipper shaped) tends to press against the side of the toe box quite firmly; with soft-toe boots, the toebox gives enough that it's way more comfortable for me.

You can go unlined if that's what you prefer. 'Unlined' only refers to the rear/shaft of the boot anyway, as the MP has a lined vamp as standard regardless.

Lots of makers make unlined horsehide boots, including tall boots like engineers, so there's no inherent reason horsehide needs to be lined.

Sounds good to me, I'd definitely opt for unlined in that case.

discomute

Reaction score
So after getting my second pair of SJ’s almost 3 months ago, I unfortunately had to send them back to be redone due to the left one being lasted crooked. I finally got the new pair a couple weeks ago. My goal with these was for a lighter pair of work boots for those days I don’t feel like wearing my 8” SJ’s with double midsoles. This time I went with a single midsole and 6” height. I’m so glad I did as these already feel more comfortable. I decided to try rough out this time, with a smooth upper. And uncharacteristically for myself, I went with black (oil tan). I’ve actually gotten some compliments on them at work already. When I started wearing my first pair in Red Dog, it usually went something like “ whoa, what are those?” When I started wearing these this week, it usually went like “ wow, those are really nice!” Anyways, here they are as I received them, and then after treating the midsoles with some Fiebing’s Resolene and hitting the leather with some Obenaufs HDLP. View attachment 1646251 View attachment 1646252 View attachment 1646253 View attachment 1646254 View attachment 1646255 View attachment 1646256
Your pants are too long ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads