• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@RockyMountain22 when you get a minute I could your insight about celastic toes : )
Thank you

alwof

Reaction score
Just placed my first White's order—thanks everyone for the advice and pictures. Does anyone have any idea what the current lead time is looking like? I've heard that it fluctuates quite a bit from the standard ~3 months.

wordfool

Reaction score
Just placed my first White's order—thanks everyone for the advice and pictures. Does anyone have any idea what the current lead time is looking like? I've heard that it fluctuates quite a bit from the standard ~3 months.

Last word from Baker's was 12-16 weeks, IIRC, which is the longest I've experienced in the last few years :(

I remember the good old days of 2019 when 8 weeks was considered a relatively long wait. That's why I went with White's over Nick's, but now it sounds like Nick's is potentially faster!

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last word from Baker's was 12-16 weeks, IIRC, which is the longest I've experienced in the last few years :(

I remember the good old days of 2019 when 8 weeks was considered a relatively long wait. That's why I went with White's over Nick's, but now it sounds like Nick's is potentially faster!
Did you ever get Nick's? Would love to hear how they compare to White's.

wordfool

Reaction score
Did you ever get Nick's? Would love to hear how they compare to White's.

I did not... and I have enough pairs of White's to probably last me the rest of my life so I can't see I'll ever feel the need to order a pair of Nicks (or Wesco). Plus, there'd be the sizing palaver to go through again.

Then again, never say never!

beanmachine314

Reaction score

I'm currently at 15 weeks on one pair and 5 weeks on another. No word about either yet.

My first order took 6 weeks (mid 2012) and that was during their busy season lol.

Phalanx

Reaction score
Looks like Baker's has the Horse ...

Man it's a great deal but my try-on pair seems stuck at San Francisco airport. Maybe I'll put an order in and tell them I'll confirm my size when the try-on pair gets here (or cancel it if it doesn't work).

[edit] try on pair just departed London so we'll see soon.

In the mean time, with brown HH, do you guys prefer antique hooks + eyes or gold hooks + eyes? I can't quite decide.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always happy to share, whether asked for or not!

Spoke with my Outfitter this morning to order the insulated 690 Packers.

Expect they will be in hand before the snow begins to fly.

Cheers,
Thank you
Do you think I should order celastic toes on
1) 690 Packers -- would be wearing these during snow/rain, may be deer hunting!
2) 695 pointed toe packers -- dress boots.

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
Thank you
Do you think I should order celastic toes on
1) 690 Packers -- would be wearing these during snow/rain, may be deer hunting!
2) 695 pointed toe packers -- dress boots.

1) 690 Packer - I would say no to celastic for this pair given the intended use out in the field. It took years for my Hathorn RPs to "sink" to any degree vs the 55 last profile during outdoor use in the dirt, wet, snow and heat.

2) 695 Packer - Here I believe celastic is more appropriate, since we want that persistent structure going forward in a dressier boot.

Do you know what leathers you're considering? This may impact if structure is warranted.

Hopefully this helps more than it muddies the waters!

Cheers,

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) 690 Packer - I would say no to celastic for this pair given the intended use out in the field. It took years for my Hathorn RPs to "sink" to any degree vs the 55 last profile during outdoor use in the dirt, wet, snow and heat.

2) 695 Packer - Here I believe celastic is more appropriate, since we want that persistent structure going forward in a dressier boot.

Do you know what leathers you're considering? This may impact if structure is warranted.

Hopefully this helps more than it muddies the waters!

Cheers,
red dog for Packers 690
black dress for 695 packers

alwof

Reaction score
In the mean time, with brown HH, do you guys prefer antique hooks + eyes or gold hooks + eyes? I can't quite decide.

Just me, but I prefer the look of brass on middle-to-dark brown leathers, so I'd say brass.

This pair from Baker's seconds batch looks really clean in my opinion,
Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 1.58.30 PM.png

and they wouldn't pop as much if they had antique eyes.

alwof

Reaction score
I'm currently at 15 weeks on one pair and 5 weeks on another. No word about either yet.

My first order took 6 weeks (mid 2012) and that was during their busy season lol.

That's a bummer. I'm glad I got them lined at least, it sounds like they'll be arriving sometime in November...which I spend in Boston......

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
red dog for Packers 690
black dress for 695 packers

690 Red dog is a fine leather for your field Packer choice - my insulated 690 order was spec'd in Red dog, also. This work leather will hold up without the celastic structure. So, unless you're dead set for having it, I would opt out.

695 Black dress will look sharp - this being a thinner (dress) leather, I think they will definitely benefit from the celastic structure. These will look great - I still need a Black dress pair for rotation. Definitely want to see them once complete.

Cheers,

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
690 Red dog is a fine leather for your field Packer choice - my insulated 690 order was spec'd in Red dog, also. This work leather will hold up without the celastic structure. So, unless you're dead set for having it, I would opt out.

695 Black dress will look sharp - this being a thinner (dress) leather, I think they will definitely benefit from the celastic structure. These will look great - I still need a Black dress pair for rotation. Definitely want to see them once complete.

Cheers,
Thank you Sir
I am going to order the black dress leather lined so may be I don't need celastic toes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads