• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too cheap for a dentist. He probably has a few pairs of shell Vibergs that he wears when he's out with his Leica M10-R :D
I am going to see him in about 30 minutes (had a problem with root canal last week). I think he mentioned he owned Danner boots but would like to wear White's.

marcusg

Reaction score
I was looking for something lighter and with no heel like my smokejumpers. I have had, and continue to have, good results with my smokejumpers so I knew I could expect quality so I rolled the dice on these new Journeyman.

I like them. I find myself missing the arch support of my smokejumpers, so I tossed the stock insole (Ortholite black - not sure of the exact type), and I ordered some Superfeet Green to replace them. I wouldn't go with half size insoles because your socks will rub the sole which is grabby, noisy, and hard. I would guess it would never naturally shape to your foot like a leather footbed does.

The construction seems solid. The leather is nice and thick. Not as thick as my smokejumpers with brown distressed but roughly the same thickness as a friend of mine's smokejumpers with standard brown leather. Break-in will be fast but it's no tennis shoe (est. 20 hours).

The only thing I'm not keen on is the cut tongue. It starts roughly where the hooks start. I'd prefer a full foldable tongue, but it's a small point.

BTW: Pics taken roughly 8 hours into break-in.

IMG_2760.jpeg
IMG_2769.jpeg
IMG_2767.jpeg
IMG_2764.jpeg
IMG_2762.jpeg

Phalanx

Reaction score
Kyle said I can order some of the 13D MP boots they had in stock for seconds as a try-on pair; guess I'm going to be ordering a pair of MP boots if these check out (i'm imagining I'll need to go up a width so maybe 13E or a combo last with E in the toes).

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kyle said I can order some of the 13D MP boots they had in stock for seconds as a try-on pair; guess I'm going to be ordering a pair of MP boots if these check out (i'm imagining I'll need to go up a width so maybe 13E or a combo last with E in the toes).
+1 for combo last

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big week for White's in this household. My ugly ducklings arrived today (more Maryam shell) along with the world's heaviest pair of oxfords (actually, derbies) ever made in brown dress

Can you guess which pair is the ugly duckling?

IMG_1705.jpg

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
Just some late-night rambling.

Mulling over final choices for The Next Pair ... you understand.

Who has a taller boot (8"+) in brown dress?

Can be any style, just looking for some representative performance reports.

Not convinced brown dress is a viable substitute for the work leathers on work boots.

And why employ a thinner leather with the intention of having them insulated??

Besides, have never worn the 6" brown dress Farmers during the winter - there are others for cold and wet.

In the end, think they will be in brown bison ... the most beautiful boots ever ... but how does it perform vs the work leathers?

Cheers,

Last edited:

Scooterputtputt

Reaction score

Not convinced brown dress is a viable substitute for the work leathers on work boots.

Besides, have never worn the 6" brown dress Farmers during the winter - there are others for cold and wet.

In the end, think they will be in brown bison ... the most beautiful boots ever ... but how does it perform vs the work leathers?

Cheers,
For sure, can relate and understand your decision making progress. For actual hard in the trenches work, nothing beats the work leathers. I say that with a degree of confidence, having most of my life worked and played extremely hard. When not in need of those tough work leathers, I now prefer my “lighter” leather boots. Which still are pretty darn tough. And I agree that brown bison to my eyes is second to none.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do it, highly recommend. These are the second nicest (maybe, dare I say, the nicest) White's I've ever received.

I did have boots in mind but I could well be tempted.

I love them but part of me wonders if I could pull them off style wise. I’m sure they’d be absolutely fine.

wordfool

Reaction score
... along with the world's heaviest pair of oxfords (actually, derbies) ever made in brown dress

Those Oxbys look great in Brown Dress. I've always wondered why White's called its Derby-inspired shoes "Oxfords". Is Oxford now just a ubiquitous term for any smartish pair of shoes?

Scooterputtputt

Reaction score

Cheers,
The shell ones??

Those oxfords are amazing, I could definitely be tempted by a pair.
Both pair look fantastic! Especially interested how the oxfords break in for you. I’ve long suspected shorter the boot, the more difficulty in breaking them in. I’ve a pair of Nick’s Chelsea’s in brown work leather that I’ve found to be impossible. It’s been two years wearing them around the house doing chores. Perhaps a couple hundred hours or more on them. Still feel like brand new, quite uncomfortable. Could be just me, but far from my first rodeo

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads