• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to see others breaking in those solid work boots!

Did take advantage of the FD sale and (finally) put in my order for 690 Packers Friday, at long last.

Have been thinking about them for a while and it's been several years since my last order - the excitement is building already!

10" distressed, double midsole, steel toe, logger heel, honey vibram sole - serious boots for serious times.

Expecting them sometime in September, just in time for Aspen color change in the Rockies.

Will post photos once they arrive.

Cheers to all!
Welcome back!
I applaud your patience and self control, you took a break from this thread for almost three years!!!!

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
Thanks!
And it went by fast, too.
All it took was viewing the thread and BAM! new boots on order ...
Like not drinking tequila for three years then being introduced to Number Juan brand.
Happy Feet, Happy Life my friends.
Cheers,

Properwawa

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for some advice and input. How versatile are navy footwear? I feel like it would go with most of my wardrobe (pants are mostly grey, deep olive green, rust, khaki) but just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks!

Last edited:

discomute

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for some advice and input. How versatile are navy footwear? I feel like it would go with most of my wardrobe (pants are mostly grey, deep olive green, rust, khaki) but just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks!
images (12).jpeg

Personally I'd rank the following one tier lower:
- navy
- blue
- red (maybe 2 tiers)

But that's just me

mph57

Reaction score
I put in my custom semi dress bounty hunter order the other day.
Now I’m taking a look at the white’s Main Street in caramel suede with mini lug. It’s been suggested by the people at bakers that I go down half a size to 8EE with a EEE ball of the foot.
I may slow down and avoid throwing down more money on boots, but I love the look of these. Can anyone speak to them? What is your experience with the white’s suede Main streets?

I have the Main Street chocolate suede boot on Dainite. My experience has been that I really, really want to like them but at the end of the day, they are my least favorite boots that I own. The finish is fine but the chocolate suede is too dark for my taste, the Dainite sole is a little too slippery in inclement weather, and the fit is just a bit "off." I'm usually a D width and these run narrow for my foot. I've had them for a half year or so and they're still tight. On my subsequent order of an MP-M1, I went with a wider size, half lug, lighter color and they look and fit great. Fwiw, I also have a 350 Cruiser (D width) and that width works for me as well. My .02 cents would be to wait until you have your bounty hunters in hand to see if the fit and finish works for you before you submit another order.

plugugly88

Reaction score
I have the Main Street chocolate suede boot on Dainite. My experience has been that I really, really want to like them but at the end of the day, they are my least favorite boots that I own. The finish is fine but the chocolate suede is too dark for my taste, the Dainite sole is a little too slippery in inclement weather, and the fit is just a bit "off." I'm usually a D width and these run narrow for my foot. I've had them for a half year or so and they're still tight. On my subsequent order of an MP-M1, I went with a wider size, half lug, lighter color and they look and fit great. Fwiw, I also have a 350 Cruiser (D width) and that width works for me as well. My .02 cents would be to wait until you have your bounty hunters in hand to see if the fit and finish works for you before you submit another order.
Dainite soles have never been my favorite either. Some people like em. Thank you, I will take your advice. I’m thinking it’s best to wait as well.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Take a moment and spare a thought for all the hard workers who build our boots at White's, Frank's, Nick's, and other PNW builders... heck, spare a thought for anyone in the PNW... next week they are going to be facing a heat wave unlike anything seen before...

As I understand it, many houses and businesses in the PNW do not have air conditioning... this one is no joke, I am afraid people - especially the elderly and infirm - are going to die.

Please try to stay safe everyone...

klank74

Reaction score

Take a moment and spare a thought for all the hard workers who build our boots at White's, Frank's, Nick's, and other PNW builders... heck, spare a thought for anyone in the PNW... next week they are going to be facing a heat wave unlike anything seen before...

As I understand it, many houses and businesses in the PNW do not have air conditioning... this one is no joke, I am afraid people - especially the elderly and infirm - are going to die.

Not to mention possible wildfires.

DG123

Reaction score

If you have Red Wing or Alden boots, in comparison please post your White's Main Street boot size . Thanks.

mph57

Reaction score
If you have Red Wing or Alden boots, in comparison please post your White's Main Street boot size . Thanks.
Sure thing: Brannock 12D; Red Wing 8 last 11.5D; Alden Barrie last 11.5D; Whites Main Street 11.5D (width too tight for me). Cheers!

wordfool

Reaction score

Eastern WA (and indeed eastern OR) has a very different climate to that west of the Cascades -- generally hot, dry summers, so they're much more used to heat and much more likely to have AC than the folks in Seattle and Portland who rely on the natural AC of the Pacific. Still, 110 degrees is no joke even if you do have AC, though I'd take 110 degrees and low humidity over 90 degrees in the East Coast summer sauna.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eastern WA (and indeed eastern OR) has a very different climate to that west of the Cascades -- generally hot, dry summers, so they're much more used to heat and much more likely to have AC than the folks in Seattle and Portland who rely on the natural AC of the Pacific. Still, 110 degrees is no joke even if you do have AC, though I'd take 110 degrees and low humidity over 90 degrees in the East Coast summer sauna.
I have never lived on the east coast, only visited a few times. I thought winters would be more miserable than summers there.

wordfool

Reaction score
I have never lived on the east coast, only visited a few times. I thought winters would be more miserable than summers there.

depends on your constitution I guess. My British constitution is designed for British weather so struggles to cope with heat and humidity. Plus, in winter you can always put on more clothes to keep warm. In summer, there‘s a societal limit to how many clothes you can remove to stay cool (and I can’t wear my Whites boots without suffering heat stroke!)

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
I can comfortably wear my 6" brown dress boots up to the high 90s here - which we tested all last week.

No-go for the heavy leather on my taller boots unless I really need them.

Cheers,

Luscombe

Reaction score
Drum Roll...........
SD's from Thanksgiving Friday order finally arrived today.
QC-wise they are perfect, except for one obvious issue.
They fit like gloves and oh, what a difference having the right width heel makes in the comfort.

These are SD's with all eyes, double leather soles (@ Leagle Eagles), medallion cap, standard everything else. They are comfortable right out of the box. I expect they will be like gloves & slippers once they are broken in.
20210625_121429.jpg

The bonus with these boots is the Burgandy Shell. I originally ordered these as Burgandy HH. The order went in and then sat with Whites for weeks with no progress. They had run out of HH but did not inform Bakers. When I called to check on the delivery Kyle offered a free upgrade to Shell as Whites had that in stock.

That is outstanding customer service on Kyles part. I am looking forward to getting them broken in. I will contact Kyle about the QC issue and see if I can resolve it without returning the boots.
20210625_121429.jpg
20210625_120015.jpg
20210625_120026.jpg
20210625_120315.jpg
20210625_120325.jpg
20210625_120333.jpg
20210625_120337.jpg
20210625_120343.jpg
20210625_120351.jpg
20210625_120402.jpg
20210625_120407.jpg
20210625_120552.jpg
20210625_120603.jpg
20210625_120635.jpg
20210625_121436.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads