• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to see others breaking in those solid work boots!

Did take advantage of the FD sale and (finally) put in my order for 690 Packers Friday, at long last.

Have been thinking about them for a while and it's been several years since my last order - the excitement is building already!

10" distressed, double midsole, steel toe, logger heel, honey vibram sole - serious boots for serious times.

Expecting them sometime in September, just in time for Aspen color change in the Rockies.

Will post photos once they arrive.

Cheers to all!
That is indeed some serious boot. I am finalizing my orders but never thought of double midsoles and vibram soles on Packers.
Now, I am really interested!!

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been wearing British tan for a couple of weeks and I noticed two things
1) well fitting White's boots do not require break-in and these boots have double midsoles, leather half slip and 100 lug soles.
2) British tan leather is underrated which is probably true for a lot of White's leathers. Although British tan is not tan, it's closer in color to cognac leather from AE.
20210621_170919.jpg

Last edited:

klank74

Reaction score
I have been wearing British tan for a couple of weeks and I noticed two things
1) well fitting White's boots do not require break-in and these boots have double midsoles, leather half slip and 100 lug soles.
2) British tan leather is underrated which is probably true for a lot of White's leathers. Although British tan is not tan, it's closer in color to cognac leather by AE.
View attachment 1628457
I think the break in is dependent on the leather. My brown dress SD’s felt great with almost no break in. My SJ’s in Red Dog (double midsole) and BH’s in olive waxed flesh are proving to be difficult. The Red Dog leather itself isn’t too bad, but the double midsole has been hell. I’m up and down off my knees a lot at work and they just do not bend. They are starting to give way a bit, but they still have a ways to go.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the break in is dependent on the leather. My brown dress SD’s felt great with almost no break in. My SJ’s in Red Dog (double midsole) and BH’s in olive waxed flesh are proving to be difficult. The Red Dog leather itself isn’t too bad, but the double midsole has been hell. I’m up and down off my knees a lot at work and they just do not bend. They are starting to give way a bit, but they still have a ways to go.
I can tell British tan is more supple than horsehide. Speaking of double midsole I like it for aesthetics.

Danitch

Reaction score
I think the break in is dependent on the leather. My brown dress SD’s felt great with almost no break in. My SJ’s in Red Dog (double midsole) and BH’s in olive waxed flesh are proving to be difficult.
I think it also depends on the construction.
From some photos it looks like the SD / MP have a vamp lining cut at the insole level, the SJ (and probably all their derivatives, such as the BH) have a lining tucked under the insole. This should make SD / MP more flexible.

klank74

Reaction score
I think it also depends on the construction.
From some photos it looks like the SD / MP have a vamp lining cut at the insole level, the SJ (and probably all their derivatives, such as the BH) have a lining tucked under the insole. This should make SD / MP more flexible.
The lining definitely wraps around under the insole in my SD’s. I’m not sure about my BH’s, I haven’t looked at them that closely yet. No lining in my SJ’s, but the double midsole on them is what causes me the most issue.

theofficialhung

Reaction score
I'm trying to finalize my order tonight. Can anyone tell if these black waxed flesh bounty hunters are structured or unstructured toe? They don't seem as bulbous which I like but at the same time I don't want them to look deflated after they break in.

Screenshot_20210621-174510_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210621-174528_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20210621-174552_Instagram.jpg

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
100% structured
You have a good collection of White's boots, what do you think of BHs configured like the brown waxed flesh Okanagons?

wordfool

Reaction score
Curse you all and your pretty pictures of boots that fueled my desire and made me order another pair I don't need but managed to justify with some mental gymnastics!! :crazy:

A nice, svelte pair of distressed roughout 6" BHs with Vibram 100 sole, natty edge, block heel, medallion toecap (still not sure about that), Red Dog tongue, brass hardware... you get the picture. Their arrival should coincide with the end of the summer-sauna weather, giving two things to look forward to.

Curious what everyone else bought last minute in the sale -- post your build

Last edited:

wordfool

Reaction score
That black waxed flesh is yummy. Makes me want to change my brown dress BHs to black CXL or black waxed flesh.

I didn't find it as exciting in the flesh, so to speak, and it apparently patinas to a dull gray, which is not terribly exciting IMO. I'm selling my black WF MP-M1s (that never quite fit me right) and I opted for an Okanagan-style dark brown WF build for last winter's BHs.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curse you all and your pretty pictures of boots that fueled my desire and made me order another pair I don't need but managed to justify with some mental gymnastics!! :crazy:

A nice, svelte pair of distressed roughout 6" BHs with Vibram 100 sole, natty edge, block heel, medallion toecap (still not sure about that), Red Dog tongue, brass hardware... you get the picture. Their arrival should coincide with the end of the summer-sauna weather, giving two things to look forward to!

Curious what everyone else bought last minute in the sale -- post your build!
I am stuck in Burgundy HH order, can't decide whether to go single midsole or double with leather half slip lol.
I never learn.
Edit: Other pairs are packers in brown, 6 inch BHs in black dress ( going to be too many brown, reddish boots)

plugugly88

Reaction score
I put in my custom semi dress bounty hunter order the other day.
Now I’m taking a look at the white’s Main Street in caramel suede with mini lug. It’s been suggested by the people at bakers that I go down half a size to 8EE with a EEE ball of the foot.
I may slow down and avoid throwing down more money on boots, but I love the look of these. Can anyone speak to them? What is your experience with the white’s suede Main streets?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics