• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

climbinglife

Reaction score
thanks. Would love to see what the boots with the combo 100 sole and Quabaug heel cap look like. I’m also more a fan of the block heel on SDs, and in general, so I think a lowered block heel with the 100 heel cap would probably look fine. Is your block heel preference standard height or lowered? TBH I don’t feel a huge difference between the two (it is only a 1/4”) but lowered seem marginally more comfortable for a lot of walking, which is what I’ll probably be doing, mainly on pavement, in this new pair, hence my other question about honey vs. regular vibram sole. The standard black 100 sole I have on one pair is actually softer than the 430 sole so that’ll probably be comfortable enough

Now my decision is whether to get SDs or 6” BHs in distressed RO, toecap or no toecap. I love the more minimalist SD look, but the BH seem to lock my heel down better.
My block heel on my SD is standard height. I also agree my 6 inch boots lock my heel in better then these SDs. The heel sleep is better than when I got them but I am still feeling it when I tie my boots, especially in the morning. Once my foot swells a little and expands by lunch time, the slip is less. Not much I can do I guess. I wanted a lighter boot which is why I got this set up in SD form and because I already have 6 inch workboots on Vibram 100s. Seemed silly to get BHs at that point. I'm not unhappy though, just hoping the heel settles in the more I use them.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@wordfool I think you could order Vibram hybrid sole (the one on limited series)on Bounty Hunters. "KimbalCody" on YouTube has a video comparing Okanagans with Nick's urban Loggers and hybrid soles look as thick as 100s.
I agree about 100 lug soles, super comfortable compared to 430.

wordfool

Reaction score
@wordfool I think you could order Vibram hybrid sole (the one on limited series)on Bounty Hunters. "KimbalCody" on YouTube has a video comparing Okanagans with Nick's urban Loggers and hybrid soles look as thick as 100s.
I agree about 100 lug soles, super comfortable compared to 430.

I seem to recall reading that the hybrid sole was not available on any other boot even by special order, although maybe that's changed. And, as you say, the hybrid is more or less the same thickness as the 100, which I don't mind.

Did you finalize your builds yet? Only one day to go!

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall reading that the hybrid sole was not available on any other boot even by special order, although maybe that's changed. And, as you say, the hybrid is more or less the same thickness as the 100, which I don't mind.

Did you finalize your builds yet? Only one day to go!
Is the baker's sale ending tonight or tomorrow night?

I am going to order two pairs in a few hours, may be three :)
Here is what I have thought so far
1) HH Burgundy but this time with lug soles and no cap toes. I love that leather and it won't hurt to have two pairs :)
2) Brown dress BHs, six inches tall, 430 soles.
2) Packers or pointed toe packers in red dog, can't decide whether to go pointed toes or original packers. What do you recommend? I love to walk in White's boots and my daily walk is on paved surfaces.

wordfool

Reaction score

1) HH Burgundy but this time with lug soles and no cap toes. I love that leather and it won't hurt to have two pairs :)
2) Packers or pointed toe packers in red dog, can't decide whether to go pointed toes or original packers. What do you recommend? I love to walk in White's boots and my daily walk is on paved surfaces.

Sale ends tomorrow night IIRC. I have no experience with Packers, but I do know more pointed lasts don't work for my feet. Are you not a Semi Dress fan?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sale ends tomorrow night IIRC. I have no experience with Packers, but I do know more pointed lasts don't work for my feet. Are you not a Semi Dress fan?
I like the ankle support of taller boots and we can't customize semi dress boots' height or did you mean semi dress last? I do like the SD last but I want to try White's packers last. As you know I am huge fan of arch support.

theofficialhung

Reaction score

Damn, I wish I had your boot budget. How are you going to have the time to wear/break in so many boots?

I think I'm settled on burgundy chromexcel MP-M1-50 (single backstay, 5050 last) with unstructured medallion cap toe. I'd upgrade to burgundy horse if I had some extra cash lying around but can't justify the jump from $470 to $620.

wordfool

Reaction score
I like the ankle support of taller boots and we can't customize semi dress boots' height or did you mean semi dress last? I do like the SD last but I want to try White's packers last. As you know I am huge fan of arch support.

I meant the SD boot (on the 55 last), but I hear you on the ankle support. Much as I like the look of the 5" boot (and I have 3 pairs), I do notice the 6" fits my heel better.

Now I'm just trying to justify $50 on a toecap, annoyed that the price of the plain toecap went up $15 to the same as medallion.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, I wish I had your boot budget. How are you going to have the time to wear/break in so many boots?

I think I'm settled on burgundy chromexcel MP-M1-50 (single backstay, 5050 last) with unstructured medallion cap toe. I'd upgrade to burgundy horse if I had some extra cash lying around but can't justify the jump from $470 to $620.
Remember I mentioned something weeks ago? I am firmly in middle age, single guy, recovered from divorce last year. I have no kids , as a matter of fact I don't have anyone lol.
I am not rich by any stretch of imagination, just a regular software Engineer but it's either spend on myself or take it to the grave ?
Edit: It's relatively easy for me to break in the boots. I wear boots daily, all year around.

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I meant the SD boot (on the 55 last), but I hear you on the ankle support. Much as I like the look of the 5" boot (and I have 3 pairs), I do notice the 6" fits my heel better.

Now I'm just trying to justify $50 on a toecap, annoyed that the price of the plain toecap went up $15 to the same as medallion.
I hear you about the prices going up on "small" customizations like pull loops, rolled tops etc.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure in Main Street specifically. But it’s possible on the 5050 last, as I currently have an MP 5050 combo last on order thru Baker’s (E width ball, D width heel). Worth asking them!
The goodyear welted models (main streets, mule packers) don't have combo lasts, instep adjustments etc. as confirmed by Kyle.

klank74

Reaction score
Nothing like trying to break in a pair of 8” SJ’s with double midsoles when it’s 90+ degrees and humid as all heck in the shop?
F0F6B35E-A237-46E9-9F04-3CB8CCFA158F.jpeg

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
Good to see others breaking in those solid work boots!

Did take advantage of the FD sale and (finally) put in my order for 690 Packers Friday, at long last.

Have been thinking about them for a while and it's been several years since my last order - the excitement is building already!

10" distressed, double midsole, steel toe, logger heel, honey vibram sole - serious boots for serious times.

Expecting them sometime in September, just in time for Aspen color change in the Rockies.

Will post photos once they arrive.

Cheers to all!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads