• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

plugugly88

Reaction score
hello all, if I were to order a pair of bounty hunters with the brown edge, but later decide I want a black edge, what would that take to achieve the black? Would I need a complete resole or is this a case where a cobbler could add black edge dressing?

climbinglife

Reaction score
My replacement Bounty Hunters got dropped off by UPS today. Thanks to Kyle and Whites for getting these to me in about 1.5 months. I think Whites paid close attention to this build due to the defect (ripped vamp) on my last pair - the boots look beautiful and incredibly well constructed to my eye but have 2 issues: 1) the 2nd row of welt stitching seems to get "lost" in the toe area but at least this is symmetrical on both boots; 2) the right boot heel seems slightly skewed/off but doesn't seem to impact how I walk or how the boots fit.

Other than the 2 flaws mentioned, I'm very happy with how these turned out.

View attachment 1626769
View attachment 1626795
View attachment 1626779 View attachment 1626778

View attachment 1626780 View attachment 1626789
Those look great man. I hear ya on the minor issues but I guess in the current White's builds, those seem par for the course. Use em' & abuse em' and don't dub them yet lol

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To my untrained eye, those three leathers look indistinguishable
You are not wrong... they are very close in appearance...

I will let you in on a little secret... from 5 feet away, you cannot tell the difference between HH, Elk Tan, and Black Dress... from 3 feet away you still cannot tell the difference... and from one foot away, maybe one can discern a very subtle difference in the "sheen" of the horse, but even that may be my imagination.

Since visually they are almost identical, I differentiate on wear characteristics. If I needed a pure black work boot, I would pick oil tan... if I wanted a tough boot that might get abused, but I still wanted to be able to clean it up and have it presentable, I would go Elk Tan. If I wanted a dress/casual boot not destined for hard use, I would go Horsehide if you want the cachet and your budget allows it (or if you can really see a visual difference), or Black Dress if you don't feel like springing for the horse. All the leathers are great and will serve you well.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hello all, if I were to order a pair of bounty hunters with the brown edge, but later decide I want a black edge, what would that take to achieve the black? Would I need a complete resole or is this a case where a cobbler could add black edge dressing?
Cobbler, heck, you can add back edge dressing yourself at home... it is easy to go darker, not so easy to go lighter. Angelus makes a great gloss black edge dressing...

theofficialhung

Reaction score
How tall are these boots?

7" same height as the old pair they're replacing. Pull loops, cut top, no celastic/unstructured plain cap toe, standard heel, natural edge dressing, honey vibram 100, brass eyes/hooks.

On the trail with my dog now and the break in isn't bad at all. The right boot with the wonky heel sort of feels like the arch is slightly off and a bit towards the outside of my foot but this could be my imagination. I probably won't notice it after it fully breaks in.

16240658846789040983888544654388.jpg

klank74

Reaction score
7" same height as the old pair they're replacing. Pull loops, cut top, no celastic/unstructured plain cap toe, standard heel, natural edge dressing, honey vibram 100, brass eyes/hooks.

On the trail with my dog now and the break in isn't bad at all. The right boot with the wonky heel sort of feels like the arch is slightly off and a bit towards the outside of my foot but this could be my imagination. I probably won't notice it after it fully breaks in.

View attachment 1626950
I applaud your choice of socks! I have the exact same pair.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Combo last meaning the heel is two widths more narrow than the ball width ? For example, a D width pair is D at the ball and
B at the heel ?
Or heels one width narrower but yeah you got it right!

prasom

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

my BHs finally arrived. followings are the customization and features. This is my first pair of whites boots. took about 16 weeks (feb 16th to 18th June ) to arrive which is on par with what is in Bakers website. Dealing with Kyle was easy and the customer service from him was fantastic (this was said many times in this forum) Here are the features of the pair.

Customization Cost for Wickett & Craig X White's Boots Custom Baker's Bounty Hunter Wickett & Craig Leathers: Natural Veg Tan (Baker Exclusive) Last: Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter) Leather Liner: Brown Lace Design: Lace to Toe Pull Loops: No Thanks Celastic Toe Box: Single Celastic Toe [ $35.00 ] Toe Cap: No Thanks Steel Toe: No Thanks Hardware: All Nickel Eyes Top: Cut Top (standard) Midsole: Double [ $52.00 ] Edge: Brown Heel Base: Standard Heel Lifts: 1/4"Higher Sole: Vibram 700 Sole Trim: Standard Trim (Double Row Stitch) Height: 8 Size - Length: 8.5 Size - Width: EE (Wide) Logos / Embossing: No logos or Embossing Sizing Confirmation: I confirm the size I selected Custom

After inspecting the boots i was surprised to see the quality of the brand new boots i got. i attached a lot of pic with this so you can see it as well. i do not want to make any judgements right out of the gate without any experience in the matter. i would like to ask your opinion on these photos.

this is how this boot came out of the box. i did not even try them yet.
To me this is not an acceptable level of quality for a pair that cost more than $700. i understand it is a hand made product and the hides could have variations. but these imperfections looks like they ware made after it was finished. . looks like it was taken for a stroll. (i am sure it is not the case but it looks like it).
in some imperfections, I could feel it when i run my finger across.

and these imperfections are not localized to one are or one boot. it is all over on both.

i work in manufacturing as well and i understand that it is merely impossible to achieve prefect 100% quality in any process. But as a customer i am having a hard time justifying to keep this.

Please let me know what i should do with this and are these considered acceptable levels of imperfections? Appreciate your suggestions

ask your humble opinion on this.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
6.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
14.JPG
15.JPG
16.JPG
17.JPG

wordfool

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

my BHs finally arrived. followings are the customization and features. This is my first pair of whites boots. took about 16 weeks (feb 16th to 18th June ) to arrive which is on par with what is in Bakers website. Dealing with Kyle was easy and the customer service from him was fantastic (this was said many times in this forum) Here are the features of the pair.

Customization Cost for Wickett & Craig X White's Boots Custom Baker's Bounty Hunter Wickett & Craig Leathers: Natural Veg Tan (Baker Exclusive) Last: Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter) Leather Liner: Brown Lace Design: Lace to Toe Pull Loops: No Thanks Celastic Toe Box: Single Celastic Toe [ $35.00 ] Toe Cap: No Thanks Steel Toe: No Thanks Hardware: All Nickel Eyes Top: Cut Top (standard) Midsole: Double [ $52.00 ] Edge: Brown Heel Base: Standard Heel Lifts: 1/4"Higher Sole: Vibram 700 Sole Trim: Standard Trim (Double Row Stitch) Height: 8 Size - Length: 8.5 Size - Width: EE (Wide) Logos / Embossing: No logos or Embossing Sizing Confirmation: I confirm the size I selected Custom

After inspecting the boots i was surprised to see the quality of the brand new boots i got. i attached a lot of pic with this so you can see it as well. i do not want to make any judgements right out of the gate without any experience in the matter. i would like to ask your opinion on these photos.

To me this is not an acceptable level of quality for a pair that cost more than $700. i understand it is a hand made product and the hides could have variations. but these imperfections looks like they ware made after it was finished. . looks like it was taken for a stroll. (i am sure it is not the case but it looks like it).

and these imperfections are not localized to one are or one boot. it is all over on both.

i work in manufacturing as well and i understand that it is merely impossible to achieve prefect 100% quality in any process. But as a customer i am having a hard time justifying to keep this.

Please let me know what i should do with this and are these considered acceptable levels of imperfections? Appreciate your suggestions

ask your humble opinion on this.

The marks on the heel counter look like they might have been from the edge/heel sanding and many of the others just seem like plain old dirt, perhaps from the hands or bench of the boot maker. Leather like that is probably hard to keep pristine as it's wrestled by hand over lasts, through stitching machines etc. That said, it does look particularly grubby and it'll be interesting to hear from others who've ordered in that leather to find out how clean their boots were. I'd be pretty annoyed to received something that looked like that.

klank74

Reaction score
Combo last meaning the heel is two widths more narrow than the ball width ? For example, a D width pair is D at the ball and
B at the heel ?
Whites will only go one width narrower on the heel. You would have to order a combo last plus request a heel clamp to go two width narrower on the heel.

klank74

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

ask your humble opinion on this. View attachment 1627007 View attachment 1627008 View attachment 1627009 View attachment 1627010 View attachment 1627011 View attachment 1627012 View attachment 1627013 View attachment 1627014 View attachment 1627015 View attachment 1627016 View attachment 1627017 View attachment 1627018 View attachment 1627020 View attachment 1627021 View attachment 1627022
I would definitely consider this unacceptable. That’s just plain bad. LegalEagle has some in veg tan and I don’t recall his looking so dirty when he got them. The brown spots near the midsole are from the polishing wheel used after they apply the edge dressing. Who knows where the dirt and other marks came from. My last two pair of Whites have broken heel stacks ( full vibram outsole) and they both had the gap you show between the outsole and leather heel stack in pic #4. One pair has been returned because of that and a lasting issue. The other I’m keeping because it’s not that bad and the rest of the boots are acceptable and I don’t wanna risk a redo that’s in even worse shape. If I had to guess, who ever is sanding the heels is pushing too hard on the sanding belt/drum and trying to remove too much material at once. I would definitely contact Bakers. I feel your pain man. Only one pair of the 4 I’ve received have been what I would consider perfect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads