• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joining the White's club. Just ordered my first pair

7" Bounty Hunter
Olive Waxed Flesh
Lace to Toe
Cream lining
No Celastic/Loops/Steel/Cap
Nickel eyes and hooks
Cut Top
Double row stitch
Natural edge
Standard heel shape and height
All on Vibram 100s

I am really looking forward to having something on Vibram 100 for the winter. Most of my other boots have a bit of trouble dealing with the snow & ice. I also thought that the waxed flesh would hold up well to the elements.
Congrats on the first pair and welcome to the club.
I am a big fan of lug soles, mostly for the comfort. White's boots like bounty hunters, smoke jumpers look great with lug soles.
I am thinking of ordering two pairs and probably both with lug soles.

theofficialhung

Reaction score
@Legal Eagles @Alaskaking thanks for the feedback. I'll probably stick with the 55 for now, even though sizing seems straightforward I've dialed my fit in on the 55 and an overly loose boot is no better than one that is too small. Never heard of duckfeet I'll check them out.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you folks think of BHs in Burgundy HH no cap toes and 100 soles?
I have BHs in Burgundy HH with 430 soles and medallion cap toes.

climbinglife

Reaction score
I have 1 pair of 38 and 1 pair of 4811. Sized the same between the two, the 38 has room for my toes, the 4811 does not. (9.5 EE)
If I wanted to be real picky I would still combo last those and make the 38 in a E heel…. I have a pair on the way that is supposed to be “heel clamped” at Baker’s, so will see how that changes things. (note-I did add the 1/4” legal eagle lift on the 38 only, so I cannot comment on standard heel vs standard heel)

There may be a wee bit less arch support, but I would prefer the toe room…how do you size those Duckfeet compared to 38 @Legal Eagles?

Who has opinions on half sole? Commando or half comp? Preference, comparison, comfort or reliability…all opinions appreciated!

thanks
I just got a pair of SDs on the commando half sole and have about 150 hours on them. Regular pavement and indoor use and some of the rubber edges are already fraying a little. I don't know if this is how they "wear" in or just that they are not durable. I heard that the old commando soles used to wear horribly but was told they switched to a new compound ...I guess time will tell:rolleyes:

Alaskaking

Reaction score
I just got a pair of SDs on the commando half sole and have about 150 hours on them. Regular pavement and indoor use and some of the rubber edges are already fraying a little. I don't know if this is how they "wear" in or just that they are not durable. I heard that the old commando soles used to wear horribly but was told they switched to a new compound ...I guess time will tell:rolleyes:
Thank you!

klank74

Reaction score
I’ve noticed the same on mine, but I also weigh about 330, so I doubt that helps at all. I will say, after the initial started showing up on my commando soles, it seems to have slowed down.

soaped

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Main Streets? Thinking about picking up a pair of the cap-toes in CXL.

DooDahMan

Reaction score
Think Im in for this sale but cant decide between 2 row cap toe black cxl SD with block heel and black hardware on 700s

Or gettin some 7" BH in Black waxed flesh with perforated( dress) cap toe, brass hardware on 100s

wordfool

Reaction score
Think Im in for this sale but cant decide between 2 row cap toe black cxl SD with block heel and black hardware on 700s

Or gettin some 7" BH in Black waxed flesh with perforated( dress) cap toe, brass hardware on 100s

two very different boots... what use cases do you foresee for either? And would the medallion toe cap be better suited to the CXL boot? Of course, this being the White’s thread, you will be advised to just get both!

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
two very different boots... what use cases do you foresee for either? Of course, this being the White’s thread, you will be advised to just get both!
I like that phrase "use cases"!!!

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“cases” is perhaps a bit redundant since essentially there is arguably only one use for a pair of Whites: **** kicking!
Wikipedia explains "Use Case" a lot better than I could and that's why I find it so interesting.

climbinglife

Reaction score
About a month of 8hr a day wear. They won't see much action through the summer, just here and there. September will start 5 days a week through June. Can't wait to see what these look like then as i'm planning on not really touching them at all.
IMG_0438.jpg

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About a month of 8hr a day wear. They won't see much action through the summer, just here and there. September will start 5 days a week through June. Can't wait to see what these look like then as i'm planning on not really touching them at all.
View attachment 1626559
Did you wear them every day? 7 days per week? Or 5 days per week as they will once again be worn in September? How many actual wear days does this represent?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics