• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wordfool

Reaction score
Any stretching issues? I’ve been told it’s basically heavily waxed, rough out cxl. I’ve heard before that a liner is recommended with regular cxl because of the stretching, that’s why I ordered my olive waxed flesh with a liner. They’ll hopefully be here Friday. It sucks that I’m feeling apprehensive instead of excited though. Out of my first three pairs of Whites, only 1 has been perfect, without any issues.

I feel your apprehension... I’m the same whenever I receive a shipping notice from Bakers! As for stretching, I’ve not noticed any change in my unlined WF BHs, post break-in, but I’m also not convinced leather really stretches much unless it’s put under tension, ie. when it’s too tight and you want it to stretch as part of the break in process. Plus, I’ve never seen the point of lining White’s roughout leathers because they're thick and the inside is already smooth

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those here who own the Semi Dress on 38 swing last and 55 last - which do you prefer and why? I'm debating which last to get, the 55 is the safe pick since I already know my size. I don't have super wide feet so I don't "need" the 38 swing per se, I just like the profile from the top down and how it sort of resembles crocs (my favorite footwear even over boots lol).
38 Swing
The last fits me better, and I like the aesthetic of the boot...to my eye it has a more classic 50's "Americana" boot look...
I size down one width going from the 55 to the 38... but leave the length alone... but I have a narrow heel and wide ball.
If you like Crocs, comfort, and the look of the 38 Swing, have you tried Duckfeet shoes? They are wonderful casual shoes.

Alaskaking

Reaction score
Those here who own the Semi Dress on 38 swing last and 55 last - which do you prefer and why? I'm debating which last to get, the 55 is the safe pick since I already know my size. I don't have super wide feet so I don't "need" the 38 swing per se, I just like the profile from the top down and how it sort of resembles crocs (my favorite footwear even over boots lol).
I have 1 pair of 38 and 1 pair of 4811. Sized the same between the two, the 38 has room for my toes, the 4811 does not. (9.5 EE)
If I wanted to be real picky I would still combo last those and make the 38 in a E heel…. I have a pair on the way that is supposed to be “heel clamped” at Baker’s, so will see how that changes things. (note-I did add the 1/4” legal eagle lift on the 38 only, so I cannot comment on standard heel vs standard heel)

There may be a wee bit less arch support, but I would prefer the toe room…how do you size those Duckfeet compared to 38 @Legal Eagles?

Who has opinions on half sole? Commando or half comp? Preference, comparison, comfort or reliability…all opinions appreciated!

thanks

Tweedboy

Reaction score
Does anybody have experience of importing a pair of Whites into the UK? What did they get hit with in terms of tax? I’m thinking about 30% of total cost including shipping. What do you think?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have experience of importing a pair of Whites into the UK? What did they get hit with in terms of tax? I’m thinking about 30% of total cost including shipping. What do you think?
@Jimk4003 lives in the UK!

klank74

Reaction score
38 Swing
The last fits me better, and I like the aesthetic of the boot...to my eye it has a more classic 50's "Americana" boot look...
I size down one width going from the 55 to the 38... but leave the length alone... but I have a narrow heel and wide ball.
If you like Crocs, comfort, and the look of the 38 Swing, have you tried Duckfeet shoes? They are wonderful casual shoes.
I’m a 13C in the 38 last, but with a B heel and instep adjustment for my shallow instep. Would Duckfeet work for me?

Jimk4003

Reaction score
@Jimk4003 lives in the UK!
Thanks for the tag, @chicagoan2016 .

Last time I checked, carriage from White's to the UK was $75, and Baker's was around $85. These numbers might have changed slightly, but that's the ballpark.

Technically, anything going through UK customs will get hit with 20% VAT, plus whatever duty is payable on the goods (I think it's about 3% for footwear/ clothing, but again this might have changed since last I looked).

If you're lucky, stuff can slip through customs without attracting a fee, but I wouldn't bank on it.

30-35% on top of the total cost is probably in the right ballpark.

Last edited:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m a 13C in the 38 last, but with a B heel and instep adjustment for my shallow instep. Would Duckfeet work for me?
The largest size Duckfeet makes is a Euro 46 which is like a US 12.5... but I think they run big so it may work for you. My feet are 12E Brannock (11.5 EE in 55 and 11.5E in 38) with a narrow heel and the Euro 45 fits very well.

These are not customized like Whites (although they are very high quality), and so have many more local stockists... I would find one near me and check them out. There is no substitute for on site fitting.

The alternative is the old Amazon prime free returns try on program... just saying...

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Alaskaking IIRC you had shared pictures of your LTT in brown leather. What kind of leather was that?

wordfool

Reaction score
make me jealous - what did you all get (or are planning to get) with the 20% off coupon from Baker's?

If someone has a pic of distressed roughout SD/BH with a vibram 100 sole and lowered block heel I might be tempted, although I'm not sure what shade the distressed RO is these days. The last batch looked a lot darker than normal IIRC.

Tweedboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the tag, @chicagoan2016 .

Last time I checked, carriage from White's to the UK was $75, and Baker's was around $85. These numbers might have changed slightly, but that's the ballpark.

Technically, anything going through UK customs will get hit with 20% VAT, plus whatever duty is payable on the goods (I think it's about 3% for footwear/ clothing, but again this might have changed since last I looked).

If you're lucky, stuff can slip through customs without attracting a fee, but I wouldn't bank on it.

30-35% on top of the total cost is probably in the right ballpark.
Thanks for this . Actually Baker shipping now seems to be much cheaper than Whites so I think I would go with them.

jnik

Reaction score
Joining the White's club. Just ordered my first pair

7" Bounty Hunter
Olive Waxed Flesh
Lace to Toe
Cream lining
No Celastic/Loops/Steel/Cap
Nickel eyes and hooks
Cut Top
Double row stitch
Natural edge
Standard heel shape and height
All on Vibram 100s

I am really looking forward to having something on Vibram 100 for the winter. Most of my other boots have a bit of trouble dealing with the snow & ice. I also thought that the waxed flesh would hold up well to the elements.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads