• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

plugugly88

Reaction score
I don't think @montanamike 's contrast stitching pair is HH, I was just using them to show how cool the contrast stitching was on a black boot.

If you avoid serious break, it will be hard to tell HH from Black Dress from Black Elk Tan at more than 2 feet away... all are great leathers.

As to your sizing... how "standard" is your foot shape? Do you know what last best fits your foot shape? I presume you have decided a 55 last best fits your foot shape based on your interest in the Bounty Hunter, which by definition is built on a 55 last, but if not, do not limit yourself to the 55.

If you have decided on the proper last, and this were my first boot, I would send tracings and measurements (taken by a third party) to both Baker's and White's and ask for sizing... I would also tell them my sizing in other common lasts (Redwing #8, Alden Trubalance, etc.).

When the results come back from both, if you are lucky they will be the same or very close, in which case I would go with the larger of the two. If they are way off, I would take a step back, post results on here and ask for advice.

I have written it before and I will write it again... nail down the proper last for your foot shape first... and only then dial in the sizing. No last will fit all feet well... trying to size an ill fitting last is like chasing you tail.

Good Luck.
Thank you legal eagles. Mainly, I like the semi dress and bounty hunter for aesthetic reasons, but I would totally make my final choice based on the proper last. I do have a wider foot. If it’s not too much hassle, where can I find a good reference for which last would be best for my foot shape? Just quickly taking a look at the shape of the #55 swing last, it seems to match the shape of my foot best. I’ve asked Kyle for advice as well based on my tracings.

one last question, may be a silly question, when I did my original tracings I tried to keep the pencil as straight as possible along the outline of the widest part of my foot. Is that the correct way to trace, or should I follow with my pencil underneath my arch (where the parts of my feet meet the ground)?

mjunderw00d

Reaction score

man. eye opening video. brings a whole different level of appreciation for each person involved in the process, and the level of overall craft.

also makes me realize how absurd it can be to obsess over the tiniest nuances, like stitch spacing. It’s miraculous that they are able to craft boots to such a consistent degree. Watching the process, it feels un-refined, in terms of how intensive the manual labor is, the tools used, etc. The fact they can produce something so polished really is amazing. Cool to see.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you legal eagles. Mainly, I like the semi dress and bounty hunter for aesthetic reasons, but I would totally make my final choice based on the proper last. I do have a wider foot. If it’s not too much hassle, where can I find a good reference for which last would be best for my foot shape? Just quickly taking a look at the shape of the #55 swing last, it seems to match the shape of my foot best. I’ve asked Kyle for advice as well based on my tracings.

one last question, may be a silly question, when I did my original tracings I tried to keep the pencil as straight as possible along the outline of the widest part of my foot. Is that the correct way to trace, or should I follow with my pencil underneath my arch (where the parts of my feet meet the ground)?
When I got tired of chasing my tail in the packer last, I finally asked, "Putting aside my size, which last best fits my foot shape?" White's said "38 Swing", and I have never looked back.

1) With regard to general shape, this is pretty good, but not too much detail... and it has none of the newer lasts...
1623453813623.png

2) You must send measurements as well as tracings... the measurements are critical.

3) When I trace, I do it in the afternoon, wearing the socks I will wear with the boots... but I do not do my own tracings, I get someone to do it for me, and have them hold the pencil perfectly vertical, going around the foot, and NOT angling the pencil to get under the arch... my tracings look like the 38 Swing above.

Basically do this... they know what they are doing!

Did I mention always send measurements with the tracing?

Last edited:

plugugly88

Reaction score
When I got tired of chasing my tail in the packer last, I finally asked, "Putting aside my size, which last best fits mu foot shape?" White's said "38 Swing", and I have never looked back.

1) With regard to general shape, this is pretty good, but not too much detail... and it has none of the newer lasts...
View attachment 1623449
2) You must send measurements as well as tracings... the measurements are critical.

3) When I trace, I do it in the afternoon, wearing the socks I will wear with the boots... but I do not do my own tracings, I get someone to do it for me, and have them hold the pencil perfectly vertical, going around the foot, and NOT angling the pencil to get under the arch... my tracings look like the 38 Swing above.

Basically do this... they know what they are doing!

Did I mention always send measurements with the tracing?
Godsend; thank you Legal.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I plan to wear White's boots everyday, one thing I have been contemplating is the weight of the boots. White's boots especially BHs, packers etc. will always be hefty but I think in my case double midsole is the biggest contributing factor, sure, the height of the boot, outer sole, leather lining could cause the weight of the boot to fluctuate.
Thoughts? (Father's day sale is coming).

ThatDudeOrion

Reaction score
I love all the whites in my collection, but I like the ones on single leather soles with a topy the best, best combo IMO with light weight, flexibility, and durability/replace ability of the sole protector without needing a resole.

klank74

Reaction score
Since I plan to wear White's boots everyday, one thing I have been contemplating is the weight of the boots. White's boots especially BHs, packers etc. will always be hefty but I think in my case double midsole is the biggest contributing factor, sure, the height of the boot, outer sole, leather lining could cause the weight of the boot to fluctuate.
Thoughts? (Father's day sale is coming).
Having experience with both, I can confirm the double midsole is the biggest contributor to weight. If you wanna go as light as possible, without going with their Oxford’s, I’d probably go with an unlined SD on a single midsole. Maybe a Steven’s if you want something a bit dressier.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love all the whites in my collection, but I like the ones on single leather soles with a topy the best, best combo IMO with light weight, flexibility, and durability/replace ability of the sole protector without needing a resole.
Please share some pics!

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This picture is from Baker's website. Is the hardware antique? It matches well with the leather.

Screenshot_20210611-204830_Chrome.jpg

Properwawa

Reaction score
Sigh. My Semi dress pair (originally with a woodsman heel) is back from repairs, sent in for a bad midsole squeak. They came back with a block heel. And no I did not ask for the heel to be changed. I love the standard heel. Sigh.

Attachments

• CE988339-4B14-4C67-B744-9433E033B346.jpeg
    CE988339-4B14-4C67-B744-9433E033B346.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sigh. My Semi dress pair (originally with a woodsman heel) is back from repairs, sent in for a bad midsole squeak. They came back with a block heel. And no I did not ask for the heel to be changed. I love the standard heel. Sigh.
Did they fix the squeak?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads