• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luscombe

Reaction score
Pisgah laces are on my list because of you :)
I will get an order in shortly.

Glad to hear they are comfortable.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So this might not be everyone's cup of tea. I started out with the Bakers kevlar laces. While good for a dedicated work boot they just didn't feel right on an everyday wear SD. The wax laces that came with the boots are too short.

I've been using the standard issue leather laces that come with all White's and I've always loved them but they do have a "bite" to them over certain parts of my foot. For me I always struggle with them getting the laces dialed in perfectly.

I also wanted to try something different. I had heard about Pisgah laces and wanted to give them a try. I really like the red and how it contrasts the Distressed RO.

They have a bunch of different colors and I ordered three more, coyote, brown and a lighter red. They tie more comfortably then all the other laces so far.

YMMV, but opinions welcome :)

View attachment 1622907 View attachment 1622908
They do look good with distressed RO. Are these redline?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since folks have found laces from "third-party" vendors, should I order false tongues from White's or look elsewhere?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep they are :) There is a some black in at as well. Really cool looking
Thank you for sharing this.
What color laces do you recommend for Burgundy HH and British tan BHs?

climbinglife

Reaction score
I'd wanna see pics of your boots, but I really like their "Purist brown" and "Purist coyote" The pictures they have on the boots really show you the color up close. I also like the maroon and rust.

plugugly88

Reaction score
I’m new here, just a white’s baby :) I’m looking at the bounty hunters and semi dress, and I want to get them in a black leather.
In your experience, does one black leather have benefits over the others? I may just go with chromexcel because it’s the only one I’m sort of familiar with.

montanamike

Reaction score
I’m new here, just a white’s baby :) I’m looking at the bounty hunters and semi dress, and I want to get them in a black leather.
In your experience, does one black leather have benefits over the others? I may just go with chromexcel because it’s the only one I’m sort of familiar with.
To be worn for what general use and conditions?

plugugly88

Reaction score
To be worn for what general use and conditions?
Thanks Montana,

Just very casual, no hard kind of work. With a pair of denim, or black pants. I do like to walk a lot. I’d wear them walking around the neighborhood, and at the office job. I live in NY, but I wouldn’t plan on wearing them in the rain or snow. Just when it’s dry.

montanamike

Reaction score
Thanks Montana,

Just very casual, no hard kind of work. With a pair of denim, or black pants. I do like to walk a lot. I’d wear them walking around the neighborhood, and at the office job. I live in NY, but I wouldn’t plan on wearing them in the rain or snow. Just when it’s dry.
Any of the options would clear that bar in black. Personally I would start with black dress or black elk tan. Black elk tan is a somewhat more substantial version of black dress. CXL has its proponents and I like mine but it wouldn't be my first choice. Black elk tan semi dress w/ white stitching

Attachments

• 20200928_075250.jpg
    20200928_075250.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 88

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any of the options would clear that bar in black. Personally I would start with black dress or black elk tan. Black elk tan is a somewhat more substantial version of black dress. CXL has its proponents and I like mine but it wouldn't be my first choice. Black elk tan semi dress w/ white stitching
I was recently informed by Baker's that brown dress is actually thicker than brown elk tan!!

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both and would stand by my assertion the elk tan is heavier. Perhaps they misspoke or you have them reversed. You can search out sambam who laid out the specific details
I asked twice and I will ask again during Father's day sale because I want a pair of Bounty Hunters in brown elk tan.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Have you thought about if you want a leather that's tea core (scuffs/wears to a tan/gray color -- cxl is tea core) or struck-through (stays pretty much black)?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First pair? If you are confident of sizing go with black horse hide... you will never regret it.

If you are not sure about sizing and wary of the surcharge for horse, go with black dress...

My feelings on CXL in boots and potential breakage are well documented here, we will not replough the same ground.

Welcome to the cult of Whites!

(PS - Spring for the contrast stitching... I still lust after that pair from @montanamike ... here is another view...)
1623425278654.png

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads