• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luscombe

Reaction score
News from Whites on my boots today was bad news/good news. This is an SD order from BF. Two weeks ago I checked and was told they should be done and ship in about two weeks. Checked today and no go, they have to remake one boot as the leather split while lasting it. That is the bad news. The good news is their QC caught it before it shipped.

The really good news is WHITES HAS THE 5050 LAST IN NARROW WIDTHS NOW!
I have been waiting for this since December.
I am going to give myself a Fathers day present this year.

Alaskaking

Reaction score
Thank you gentleman! I am going to order directly from White's.
I also saw some false tongues. Should I order the regular length false tongues for my eight inches bounty hunters with cap toes (Not lace to toe) and will red dog false tongue with Burgundy HH boots?

Kind Regards
This is where the regular length false tongues stop on 8” BH.
The laces are from guarded goods- they will easily reach the top of the boot, I lace these without the top eye/no wrap around, and had to trim at least several inches for a regular bow. These are the natural-a bit stiff/dry.....I also got the dark brown ones and they feel the same as White’s, but if you’re going to get false tongues any way..... 372AD5F0-FB17-4BE6-A874-B4B7BE571D76.jpeg

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is where the regular length false tongues stop on 8” BH.
The laces are from guarded goods- they will easily reach the top of the boot, I lace these without the top eye/no wrap around, and had to trim at least several inches for a regular bow. These are the natural-a bit stiff/dry.....I also got the dark brown ones and they feel the same as White’s, but if you’re going to get false tongues any way..... View attachment 1611525
I am thinking of ordering the extra false tongue, it would protect the 'real' tongue up to the very top or I suppose I can always cut it short.
One more thing about false tongues, it appears the price on White's website is for one single tongue?

Luscombe

Reaction score
I thought White's had always offered any and, or, all of their footwear in B (narrow) widths.
The 5050 last is new and when it came out for the Stevens boot, it was only offered in D and above.
That last is a combination of the sleeker profile of the Stevens/MP's with the comfort arch.
The narrow widths on the 5050 were a future project.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last sentence is the reason, I am just unlucky ?.
@theofficialhung and you mentioned guarded goods but it appears the longest leather laces they have are 72 inches which I think may be short for my eight inches Bounty Hunters.
The leather laces that just broke are around 100 inches and White's Nylon laces are 82 inches.
I would purchase anything but Guarded Goods laces; they are pretty awful. The White's leather laces are going to be some of the better pairs available. Vibergs are pretty sturdy too, although they might not be long enough.

DG123

Reaction score
The 5050 last is new and when it came out for the Stevens boot, it was only offered in D and above.
That last is a combination of the sleeker profile of the Stevens/MP's with the comfort arch.
The narrow widths on the 5050 were a future project.

When the 550 last was first introduced customers could not special order a narrow width ?

wordfool

Reaction score
How long do the leather laces last? mine broke after two months : )
Any recommendations for laces, preferably something I could buy from Amazon but not necessarily?

As others have said, leather laces are always a bit of a crapshoot due to the inherent "natural" features of leather. Where did they break? Top, or down low? What doesn't help is that every pair of White's boots I have had some burrs on the eyelets, which you notice if you run some nice smooth nylon laces through them and can hear/feel the fibers catching on something. I took a small round file to the inside of every eyelet until the laces ran smooth and snag free (yes, I've had too much time on my hands in the past year!)

I agree that White's laces are probably the best option for leather. For nylon I prefer round laces and have bought Danner and Obenauf's on Amazon, but be warned that the Obenauf's waxed laces are literally dripping with wax and it'll be a while before your fingers aren't covered in wax each time you tie them. I hated them for that! I've tried a few no-name brands from Amazon and they're fine for what they are (cheap) but usually suffer from excessive stretch and loose weave (often just a nice-looking outer layer over a crappy core) that can fray rapidly. Avoid paracord laces IMO -- paracord is stretchy by design and too slippery for laces to stay tied without some knot gymnastics.

I would love to hear if anyone has found other reasonably priced (under $10 a pair) round nylon laces, around 4mm in diameter, not too stretchy, properly woven, and that stay tied properly without triple knotting. For now my go-to laces are Danner.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
When the 550 last was first introduced customers could not special order a narrow width ?

@DG123

To add onto @wordfool - I remember that the 5050/Combo/Stevens release was delayed because White's was waiting on the Lasts. Kinda hard to make a boot if you don't have a Last to build it on. It would be fair to speculate that odd sizing might have been off the table simply based on not having the tools to build them.

wordfool

Reaction score
Does anyone have SDs made on a Vibram 100 sole with a block heel (preferably lowered)? Just curious to see what they look like.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As others have said, leather laces are always a bit of a crapshoot due to the inherent "natural" features of leather. Where did they break? Top, or down low? What doesn't help is that every pair of White's boots I have had some burrs on the eyelets, which you notice if you run some nice smooth nylon laces through them and can hear/feel the fibers catching on something. I took a small round file to the inside of every eyelet until the laces ran smooth and snag free (yes, I've had too much time on my hands in the past year!)

I agree that White's laces are probably the best option for leather. For nylon I prefer round laces and have bought Danner and Obenauf's on Amazon, but be warned that the Obenauf's waxed laces are literally dripping with wax and it'll be a while before your fingers aren't covered in wax each time you tie them. I hated them for that! I've tried a few no-name brands from Amazon and they're fine for what they are (cheap) but usually suffer from excessive stretch and loose weave (often just a nice-looking outer layer over a crappy core) that can fray rapidly. Avoid paracord laces IMO -- paracord is stretchy by design and too slippery for laces to stay tied without some knot gymnastics.

I would love to hear if anyone has found other reasonably priced (under $10 a pair) round nylon laces, around 4mm in diameter, not too stretchy, properly woven, and that stay tied properly without triple knotting. For now my go-to laces are Danner.
How are the Nylon laces by White's compared to Danner?

Jsanchez

Reaction score
Ordered these on March 24th and Recieved them today, I took a couple of pictures before they whent back in the box,these being a father's day gift I have to wait till June to start wearing them.

7 inch structured black bison, with brown bison tongue and 90 degrees dropped heel.

20210518_180627.jpg
20210518_180535.jpg
20210518_180503.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads