• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bronco68

Reaction score
I just have to wonder if there is a real demand for those specific shades of brown/tan. I happen to like them myself even if they're not as versatile as darker browns. Whites I'm sure could source from Annonay, Du Puy, Badalassi (would be fantastic) for those sorts of colors, but not sure if theres enough interest to stock it.

I felt it was appropriate to interject here (full experience still to come). I visited Kyle at Baker’s and after he nailed down my measurement, fit & last we started on the build details. He disappeared and then returned wheeling a hand truck carrying a large box. I asked him, “what is that” and he replied “some leathers I received awhile back, but have not opened”. The attached was one of the four bolts of leather he had received from a British Tannery. It is called Coach Rambler, Cognac shade. It is a thinner leather and he recommended I have a liner on this pair of 6” Bounty Hunter’s. This pair will be my middle of the road pair...6” height, 4 row cap toe, antique hardware, cut top, Vibram 700 sole (live in Georgia, so cold weather is not an issue, cream lining...yes you heard right, I bought 3-pair from Kyle. This pair will be the eye catcher / show stopper / conversation piece.

It is amazing what you experience & discover when you are face-to-face with people.

I am still on my walk about and promise to provide details of my amazing experience.

Daniel

Attachments

• 42F35E91-3AA0-46E0-A78E-51F0CA21521F.jpeg
    42F35E91-3AA0-46E0-A78E-51F0CA21521F.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 161CF1C1-3D05-4152-AB11-E1036EAEBA6D.jpeg
    161CF1C1-3D05-4152-AB11-E1036EAEBA6D.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 13C7DA91-AB06-4EBC-B9E2-F5B79EC60576.jpeg
    13C7DA91-AB06-4EBC-B9E2-F5B79EC60576.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 49

montanamike

Reaction score
I felt it was appropriate to interject here (full experience still to come). I visited Kyle at Baker’s and after he nailed down my measurement, fit & last we started on the build details. He disappeared and then returned wheeling a hand truck carrying a large box. I asked him, “what is that” and he replied “some leathers I received awhile back, but have not opened”. The attached was one of the four bolts of leather he had received from a British Tannery. It is called Coach Rambler, Cognac shade. It is a thinner leather and he recommended I have a liner on this pair of 6” Bounty Hunter’s. This pair will be my middle of the road pair...6” height, 4 row cap toe, antique hardware, cut top, Vibram 700 sole (live in Georgia, so cold weather is not an issue, cream lining...yes you heard right, I bought 3-pair from Kyle. This pair will be the eye catcher / show stopper / conversation piece.

It is amazing what you experience & discover when you are face-to-face with people.

I am still on my walk about and promise to provide details of my amazing experience.

Daniel
While they are stellar by phone, in house visits to Eugene are a crash course in all things boot related

Danitch

Reaction score
Hi All,
Greetings from Singapore!
Need some advice on Steven's Boot with Dress Cap.
Is the dress cap toe structured or unstructured and has celastic or does not have celastic ?
Hi!

I am also interested in Stevens dress cap and asked bakers similar questions.
Stevens has a structured toe cap and a "real" dress cap (an extra layer of leather).
Also the bakers informed me (if I understood them correctly) that stevens has a layer of glue between the lining and the upper, but I don't know if this also applies to the vamp or only to the quarters.
Other White's have no glue between the lining and the vamp, which can be important in hot weather.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got it, thanks for the informative reply. If I read you correctly you have two pairs of calf Indy boots, (one size 13E and one size 13D). Also, you have one pair of CXL Indy boots, size 13D.
For your 13E calf Indy boots my suggestion is to try as thick of a sock as you can find. The Wigwam King Cotton model sock in size XL could be good.
For your 13D Indy boots you might try using a shoe/boot stretcher. Repair shops have these and will put the boot on a stretcher for a week, or the stretcher devices are sold to consumers for home use.
I don't own any White's footwear but (from looking at the photos of the Stevens model boot) , my guess is that White's designed that model with its low walking heel, as well as the Arch Ease Last, to be similar to an Indy boot, Red Wing Iron Ranger, Wolverine 1000 mile etc... All of these I consider to be city boots with good strong support but not a pronounced arch feel. Maybe the White's Arch Ease last will have a little bit more pronounced arch than the Indy True Balance last, and that is what you would like ?
Thanks for the tips but I am sorted with my Indys with boot socks and the 13D does not need a stretcher.

Yes my guess is 5050 will give a more pronounced arch which is what I am looking for. Hopefully someone with Steven's will chime in with their thoughts on sizing and on the toe box of the Steven's.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Stevens has a structured toe cap and a "real" dress cap (an extra layer of leather).
Also the bakers informed me (if I understood them correctly) that stevens has a layer of glue between the lining and the upper, but I don't know if this also applies to the vamp or only to the quarters.
Other White's have no glue between the lining and the vamp, which can be important in hot weather.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated and what I was looking for.
Follow up question : does a 'structured' toe box means a layer of celastic to retain the shape? Since the dress cap is one full additional layer of leather it is already two thick pieces does it even need a celastic layer? What exactly is a 'structured' toe ?
Sorry for novice questions.

DG123

Reaction score
Hi!

Have you worn similar style boots to the Whites Stevens ?

Bronco68

Reaction score
While they are stellar by phone, in house visits to Eugene are a crash course in all things boot related

I am on day 14 of my 17 day walkabout / sabbatical / decompression journey through the PNW. I just got off the 7:50am ferry from Orcas Island and currently sitting at Dad’s Diner in Anacortes. Then I’m headed to Coupeville to catch the ferry to Port Townsend and the Olympic National Park. I’m making the 101 loop with no itinerary, eventually making my way to Seattle for my flight back to Atlanta on the 19th.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you worn similar style boots to the Whites Stevens ?
No, but want to try. Closest to PNW boots is my Viberg 2030..

Edit: Just noticed it wasn't directed at me, but anyway...

Last edited:

Danitch

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, much appreciated and what I was looking for.
Follow up question : does a 'structured' toe box means a layer of celastic to retain the shape?
Yes, it has celastic insert between the lining and the upper.

Since the dress cap is one full additional layer of leather it is already two thick pieces does it even need a celastic layer? What exactly is a 'structured' toe ?
Even very thick leather "flattens" over time in the cape without support.

montanamike

Reaction score
I am on day 14 of my 17 day walkabout / sabbatical / decompression journey through the PNW. I just got off the 7:50am ferry from Orcas Island and currently sitting at Dad’s Diner in Anacortes. Then I’m headed to Coupeville to catch the ferry to Port Townsend and the Olympic National Park. I’m making the 101 loop with no itinerary, eventually making my way to Seattle for my flight back to Atlanta on the 19th.
Give Port Townsend a bit of time and poke around a bit. Velocity coffee there is a favorite. Allow a bit more driving time on 101 than it appears on a map. The falls near lake crescent are easy to get to well worth the hour. Ditto for ruby beach as you get further out towards the ocean

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it has celastic insert between the lining and the upper.

Even very thick leather "flattens" over time in the cape without support.

Thanks, all noted and clear. Cheers!

wordfool

Reaction score
Although we are almost a month away from summer but what soles do you recommend on White's for walking in snow?
I have read about lug 100 being a bad choice.

Of all the soles I have on boots (commando, 430, 100 on White's, 430 on Red Wings, and Vibram 700 on another pair) by far the best are the Vibram 100 (the black "fire and ice" version, which is the standard from White's AFAIK) closely followed by whatever soles Blundstone uses on its standard Chelsea boots. Ultimately, however, in snow more than a few inches deep my experience is that all normal soles are going to either get clogged with snow pretty fast or just become ice skates right away.

The Vibram 100 do have an uncanny ability to grip ice much better than any other rubber I've tried -- must be the "ice" designation -- and they are tall/deep enough to deal with urban slush very well. My go-to winter boot for trudging through NYC snow, however, are my Blunnies, mainly because they grip well enough, have a thick enough sole to offer some insulation, and I don't care about trashing them with salt and road slush!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics