• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

theofficialhung

Reaction score
Cleaned up my shells since we're officially no longer in boot season here. Put a lot of enjoyable miles on these over the last 8 months

View attachment 1609757
View attachment 1609758
View attachment 1609759
View attachment 1609760
View attachment 1609761
View attachment 1609762
View attachment 1609764

These are so nice especially with the extra 2 eyes per side. I don't have the coin for color 8 shell but I think burgundy horse is a good compromise for the Father's Day sale....

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have any shell boots, but for my shoes I use this... sparingly... mostly keep them clean, brush them with a horsehide brush, let them rest for at least two days between wearing, and keep shoe trees in them...
View attachment 1609958

I’ve been using saphir renovateur on my shell shoes/boots. In addition to @hoppy_IPA’s question, do you have any info about how this compares w that?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using saphir renovateur on my shell shoes/boots. In addition to @hoppy_IPA’s question, do you have any info about how this compares w that?
It seems a little thicker and a little waxier, if Renovateur works for you, I would stick with it... when my jar of cordovan cream runs out in about 10 years, I likely will not reorder and just use Renovateur...

This is from another thread...

i don't find there to be any REAL benefit of cordovan cream over simply using renovateur. Cream doesn't bring much to the game imo.
Quote:

Saphir knows more about quality shoe care products than I do. I would venture a guess that they know more about it than you do, as well. If they went to the trouble of formulating a product specifically for cordovan, I suspect they did so for a reason. I use Reno on calf and Cordovan Cream on cordovan. Both products work very well indeed. Others are, of course, free to do as they please.
For the record, I tend to agree with @SoGent

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol, what record would that be? ?
The written record of this thread for one.

By writing "for the record", I was attempting to convey that I was making a public statement of support or agreement, in writing, one which I would later stand by should my intentions be questioned.

I do not understand what you find humorous about it... is it not a common expression in American English?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although we are almost a month away from summer but what soles do you recommend on White's for walking in snow?
I have read about lug 100 being a bad choice.

iambretton

Reaction score
Although we are almost a month away from summer but what soles do you recommend on White's for walking in snow?
I have read about lug 100 being a bad choice.
I had good luck with my Fire and Ice lugs on my smokejumpers last winter (in Montana). Even went on a few snow storm hikes with them and never had issues with traction.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had good luck with my Fire and Ice lugs on my smokejumpers last winter (in Montana). Even went on a few snow storm hikes with them and never had issues with traction.
Thank you Sir! should I order one of White's work leathers? I will be wearing these in Chicago's snow.

iambretton

Reaction score
Thank you Sir! should I order one of White's work leathers? I will be wearing these in Chicago's snow.
I guess it depends on what you plan on using the boots for... For casual winter wear or as hikers, I would say get whatever you like; two extra ounces of leather thickness won't buy you that much warmth. But if you will beat these boots up, yeah go with the work leather. Chromexel is pretty delicate compared to the work leather.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Greetings from Singapore!
Need some advice on Steven's Boot with Dress Cap.
Is the dress cap toe structured or unstructured and has celastic or does not have celastic ?

Considering a pair of Steven's with dress cap as my first pair of White's boots. I live in Singapore and hence looking for pure urban use - no hiking / trekking, snow, salt etc etc - just concrete sidewalks, public transport and carpeted office use in hot tropical weather.
No option for sending in fit sheet or try-on boots but based on what I wear (listed below) think 12.5E or 13E in 5050 last should work. I have medium to high arch and a medium to high instep as well and wear Tacco 3/4 orthopedics in shoes and boots for additional arch support. Believe 5050 last will not need these additional arch supports.

Alden Trubalance - US13E (calf) / US13D (cxl)
Viberg 2030 - US13E (Viberg 13 stamped in the boot)
Grant Stone Leo - US13E
Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill - US13EEE which are too lose, US13E would be fine.

I have communicated with Whites and Bakers and the recommendation has been to try 5050 with 12.5E and 12.5EE. Looking for any additional inputs here from folks who have experience across multiple brands.

Thanks in advance ?

DG123

Reaction score
No option for sending in fit sheet or try-on boots but based on what I wear (listed below) think 12.5E or 13E in 5050 last should work. I have medium to high arch and a medium to high instep as well and wear Tacco 3/4 orthopedics in shoes and boots for additional arch support. Believe 5050 last will not need these additional arch supports.

Alden Trubalance - US13E (calf) / US13D (cxl)
Viberg 2030 - US13E (Viberg 13 stamped in the boot)
Grant Stone Leo - US13E
Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill - US13EEE which are too lose, US13E would be fine.

I have communicated with Whites and Bakers and the recommendation has been to try 5050 with 12.5E and 12.5EE. Looking for any additional inputs here from folks who have experience across multiple brands.

Thanks in advance ?

For your Alden Truebalance Indy boots why do you wear the 13E (calf) but 13D (CXL) ? I ask because I believe the CXL is more stretchy than calf and would expect it to "fit wider".
Also, your Indy boots are sized to accommodate your 3/4 orthotics ?
My guess is that the White's Stevens boot with its walking heel 5050 "Arch Ease last" will have similar arch support to your Indy boots.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For your Alden Truebalance Indy boots why do you wear the 13E (calf) but 13D (CXL) ? I ask because I believe the CXL is more stretchy than calf and would expect it to "fit wider".
Also, your Indy boots are sized to accommodate your 3/4 orthotics ?
My guess is that the White's Stevens boot with its walking heel 5050 "Arch Ease last" will have similar arch support to your Indy boots.
Regarding Indy sizing it all happened by trial and error. First I got 13E calf (405) which felt a tad wide laterally, so next pair was 13D (natural cxl) which is perfect maybe because CXL is a bit stretchy and hence molded to my foot. Hence next up I got 13D calf assuming that's my size and while I can and do make it work by the end of the day I feel a bit of pressure on the pinkie toe. That has lead me to believe that 13E is my size in calf. Again nowhere for me to try them on so trial and error it is.

Tacco 3/4th inserts were recently recommended and I wear them in the 13E but I dont wear them in 13D.

From what I understand reading this thread I am thinking Steven's boots and 5050 will have much more arch support than the Indys and I dont think I will need any inserts with them.

Last edited:

DG123

Reaction score
Regarding Indy sizing it all happened by trial and error. First I got 13E calf (405) which felt a tad wide laterally, so next pair was 13D (natural cxl) which is perfect maybe because CXL is a bit stretchy and hence molded to my foot. Hence next up I got 13D calf assuming that's my size and while I can and do make it work by the end of the day I feel a bit of pressure on the pinkie toe. That has lead me to believe that 13E is my size in calf. Again nowhere for me to try them on so trial and error it is.

Tacco 3/4th inserts were recently recommended and I can for them in the 13E but I dont wear them in 13D.

From what I understand reading this thread I am thinking Steven's boots and 5050 will have much more arch support than the Indys and I dont think I will need any inserts with them.

Got it, thanks for the informative reply. If I read you correctly you have two pairs of calf Indy boots, (one size 13E and one size 13D). Also, you have one pair of CXL Indy boots, size 13D.
For your 13E calf Indy boots my suggestion is to try as thick of a sock as you can find. The Wigwam King Cotton model sock in size XL could be good.
For your 13D Indy boots you might try using a shoe/boot stretcher. Repair shops have these and will put the boot on a stretcher for a week, or the stretcher devices are sold to consumers for home use.
I don't own any White's footwear but (from looking at the photos of the Stevens model boot) , my guess is that White's designed that model with its low walking heel, as well as the Arch Ease Last, to be similar to an Indy boot, Red Wing Iron Ranger, Wolverine 1000 mile etc... All of these I consider to be city boots with good strong support but not a pronounced arch feel. Maybe the White's Arch Ease last will have a little bit more pronounced arch than the Indy True Balance last, and that is what you would like ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads