• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

edgarallanpoe

Reaction score
Thinking about making an order for MPs in horsehide. I've generally been happy with Chromexcel in the past, but I'd hate to order custom boots, wait a few months, and then find out I'd lost the lottery. The White's horsehide seems to offer a similar look, but with finer creasing and less risk of unsightly break. Can anyone confirm this, or talk to me about the general characteristics of the horsehide? Is there anything else I should be aware of concerning the White's horsehide? I know some boots in different leathers can fit slightly differently, some are warmer/cooler, for example.

I have the semi-dress in brown horsehide and the MP in black chromexcel. You can't go wrong with either. But my semi-dress horsehides are the most comfortable things I have ever put on my feet that wasn't a sneaker. The only thing I would be aware of is that the brown horsehide is significantly darker than the pictures on the Baker's website. I was initially disappointed but the color has grown on me and now they are hands down my favorites. The MPs are comfortable and beautiful but every time I have a choice I pick the horsehides. The pics are from when they were both new. If you can swing the price for the horsehide, it's worth it IMHO.

Attachments

• White's.jpg
    White's.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 134691877_1022358944925060_3804333702310030817_n.jpg
    134691877_1022358944925060_3804333702310030817_n.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 121

Bronco68

Reaction score
“It's also not uncommon for people to go on a bit of a 'sizing journey' with MTO boots, where they gradually get their fit dialled in via trial and error over time. I wouldn't say that making fit adjustments over time is 'going back to the drawing board'”

This ^^^is why on my (current) visit to the San Juan Islands, I took a detour to Eugene for a measure / fitting appointment with Kyle to nail my last and sizing down...more to come.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Bronco68 please share some details when you get some down time.
I am long overdue due for a west coast visit and visiting Baker's might just what I need.

wordfool

Reaction score
I have been wearing these for almost two months and in the last few days my pinky toes are experiencing some pressure, not hurting but a little too tight (and more noticeable on the left foot). I could see that the leather has stretched slightly over the welt on the pinky toes' sides, again more so on left boot.

how has the fit evolved over the last few months? As the arch flattens a bit I suspect your foot effectively shifts slightly forward in the boot, so perhaps that’s the issue and it will work itself out. An alternative is to have that part of the boot stretched slightly, which Bakers can do. The leather bulging slightly over the welt as it breaks in is not uncommon in my experience.

Properly fitting boots don't cause persistent knee pains, and aren't a source of discomfort after two months of wear. I'm sure Bakers and White's would tell you the same. Break-in shouldn't be some masochistic self-torment, and it shouldn't last months at a time. Frankly, well fitting boots ought to be comfortable by now.

I agree on the break in period. I’ve never understood how people put up with “brutal” break in of boots. Perhaps their pain threshold is low, or perhaps the boots don’t fit. Who knows. Mild discomfort for about 10 miles is about all I feel, and predominantly only over the top of the foot from pressure from stiff laces and eyelets. I do have a couple of pairs that still have a bit of a noticeable arch lump but it doesn’t really bother me.

The knee pain issue, however, is IMO nothing to do with fit but I suspect more to do with one's gait adapting to the weight of Whites boots and a higher heel than you might be used to, especially if you’ve previously worn only sneakers. Swinging 4lb of weight on the end of each leg is going to put some added strain on muscles and ligaments around your knee if your body is only used to 1lb sneakers. I did experience some temporary, gait-related joint twinges with a couple of my pairs, and I suspect those issues could be worse for someone with inadequate muscle strength in their legs to support their joints. I run and bike a lot so luckily my legs were able to cope with the Whites pendulum effect!

Last edited:

Alaskaking

Reaction score
Thinking about making an order for MPs in horsehide. I've generally been happy with Chromexcel in the past, but I'd hate to order custom boots, wait a few months, and then find out I'd lost the lottery. The White's horsehide seems to offer a similar look, but with finer creasing and less risk of unsightly break. Can anyone confirm this, or talk to me about the general characteristics of the horsehide? Is there anything else I should be aware of concerning the White's horsehide? I know some boots in different leathers can fit slightly differently, some are warmer/cooler, for example.
I can’t make any comparison to some of the other leathers. I am happy with the brown HH, I did not notice the darkness compared to the website as @edgarallanpoe did, but the brown was kind of boring. His pics show some nice color variations in the “new pics”. I think on mine that variation took a few months to develop.
The lottery on the other hand...the R inside quarter “broke” in the first few wears, and there is a small area on the outside of the L front quarter that shows it too, but not enough that I would trade them out. Whoever “clicked “ these must have known that R quarter was going to break-they put it in best/ least noticeable place. My understanding is that it’s still CXL, just horse instead of cow?
Either way, they are fine for me, here’s a few pics of the “break” and one of the creasing at the toes. 808E3AE0-AB5A-4DE4-8E5C-1DC1FECAA670.jpeg BA2BCAF7-DDDF-4F08-816E-298E43684F52.jpeg 75D06817-FE3D-42C3-8B39-032EFC6B9BA9.jpeg 466BE97E-F4EB-439D-BDAE-67BFA5BFDE19.jpeg B629BBF3-3B9C-4A38-9A96-02797FBBEBB5.jpeg

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how has the fit evolved over the last few months? As the arch flattens a bit I suspect your foot effectively shifts slightly forward in the boot, so perhaps that’s the issue and it will work itself out. An alternative is to have that part of the boot stretched slightly, which Bakers can do. The leather bulging slightly over the welt as it breaks in is not uncommon in my experience.

I agree on the break in period. I’ve never understood how people put up with “brutal” break in of boots. Perhaps their pain threshold is low, or perhaps the boots don’t fit. Who knows. Mild discomfort for about 10 miles is about all I feel, and predominantly only over the top of the foot from pressure from stiff laces and eyelets. I do have a couple of pairs that still have a bit of a noticeable arch lump but it doesn’t really bother me.

The knee pain issue, however, is IMO nothing to do with fit but I suspect more to do with one's gait adapting to the weight of Whites boots and a higher heel than you might be used to, especially if you’ve previously worn only sneakers. Swinging 4lb of weight on the end of each leg is going to put some added strain on muscles and ligaments around your knee if your body is only used to 1lb sneakers. I did experience some temporary, gait-related joint twinges with a couple of my pairs, and I suspect those issues could be worse for someone with inadequate muscle strength in their legs to support their joints. I run and bike a lot so luckily my legs were able to cope with the Whites pendulum effect!
I am wearing my BHs right now, walked for a little over a mile and it seems they are breaking-in. The pressure my pinky toes feel is more on the left foot although I won't call it painful and I wonder if White's built my left boot narrow?

I have been thinking about the knee pain and I realized I did have a small mishap almost 12 years ago in Puerto Rico and hurt my right knee,
didn't break it though lol.
I took pictures of my boots just now, while standing. The camera's "line of sight" was kinda in the middle to capture a good angle.
My inexperienced eyes can't tell if the left boot is narrow.

20210508_193531.jpg

20210508_193534.jpg

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Have you measured them? Impossible to say from just photos since angles and lens distortion can really throw off distances. You could put them sole-to-sole as well.

My new Bounty Hunters look pretty good with denim, I think. Gonna try them with various other pants this week as well.
1620585155338.png

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
@Alaskaking - those are HH? I’ve never seen it break like that in the stuff Bakers’ sources from Horween. The pair of Russet HH’s that I had built were similar to those but I had Kyle throw them in the trash.

@passaloutre - HH is killer. Do it. You won’t miss the money for the upcharge. It’s a great value as it splits the gap between Shell & CXL; looks quite similar to the $1,200 stuff and shares many of the physical characteristics. Takes a shine quite well & patinas/ages very gracefully.

Here’s some pics of my HH Semi-Dress & Bounty Hunters

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
@Alaskaking - those are HH? I’ve never seen it break like that in the stuff Bakers’ sources from Horween. The pair of Russet HH’s that I had built were similar to those but I had Kyle throw them in the trash.

Apologies if you're asked this a lot but what were wrong with the russet HH boots? I've been contemplating a pair of Wesco's in that leather.

climbinglife

Reaction score
My "rush" order is supposedly two weeks out as of Friday's email from Kyle. I'm thinking that means more like 4 weeks which would put it at the exact same build time as the first pair.

For those that have rebuilds happening due to QC issues, don't hold your breath for actually having it rushed lol.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Apologies if you're asked this a lot but ...

you literally have no idea ...

The leather wasn’t suitable for boots. The squeaking of the leather (not the usual mid/outsole one) was UNBEARABLE! I sent them in to Kyle bc he wanted to take a look. We were in the phone as he was handling them & I could hear over the phone lol.. just from flexing the boot in your hand.
Not to mention it had a complete sh|t break to the leather

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads