• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bronco68

Reaction score
I just discovered this defect moments after returning home from taking my dog for a walk in the park and going downtown for a coffee. These are work boots that have been worn for about a week definitely under 2 weeks. The toughest job I've ever thrown at these is walking my dog, I don't do labor or yard work in them and I work a desk job for a living.

I feel sick to my stomach I loved these boots so much, this is absolutely unacceptable and I'm shaking with rage right now. I've waited close to 5 months for these and no that's not a typo, these were ordered during the Black Friday sale and I received them less than 2 weeks ago after the heel had to be re-done since they were originally made with a lowered block heel instead of a standard logger.

I know Bakers isn't at fault, they don't build the boots this is a Whites problem. I will not wait 5 more effing months for my boots to be rebuilt. What would you guys do, take a stock boot or a refund? I have never heard of Nicks having basic QC issues like this I'm seriously considering getting a refund and just getting a pair of Nicks from their ships in under 6 weeks page.

View attachment 1603513
View attachment 1603514 View attachment 1603517
How in the world did you miss seeing that? I understand missing a blemish, but that’s the equivalent of launching a boat and taking it for a cruise with a hole in the bow large enough for a 10-year old to climb through.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been wearing these for almost two months and in the last few days my pinky toes are experiencing some pressure, not hurting but a little too tight (and more noticeable on the left foot). I could see that the leather has stretched slightly over the welt on the pinky toes' sides, again more so on left boot.
Here is a picture from when I got these, I will try to take a recent picture but I have highlighted the area where I feel some discomfort

BHs.jpg

Jimk4003

Reaction score
I have been wearing these for almost two months and in the last few days my pinky toes are experiencing some pressure, not hurting but a little too tight (and more noticeable on the left foot). I could see that the leather has stretched slightly over the welt on the pinky toes' sides, again more so on left boot.
Here is a picture from when I got these, I will try to take a recent picture but I have highlighted the area where I feel some discomfort

View attachment 1605974
Are you absolutely sure that they are the right size?

You mentioned previously that after a month of attempting to break these boots in, you were only able to manage a mile at a time, and even that was causing pain in your knee the following day. I commented at the time that a month seemed a long time to have a pair of boots and still only be able to manage short walks in them, and that you shouldn't be getting persistent joint pain after wearing them.

Two months in, and you're still getting discomfort? At what point does the possibility that they don't fit right become a consideration? I'd say about now, if not before now.

Properly fitting boots don't cause persistent knee pains, and aren't a source of discomfort after two months of wear. I'm sure Bakers and White's would tell you the same. Break-in shouldn't be some masochistic self-torment, and it shouldn't last months at a time. Frankly, well fitting boots ought to be comfortable by now.

I'd speak to Bakers, and explain your experiences thus far. They'll be able to help better than any of us will, but something doesn't sound right.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure that they are the right size?

You mentioned previously that after a month of attempting to break these boots in, you were only able to manage a mile at a time, and even that was causing pain in your knee the following day. I commented at the time that a month seemed a long time to have a pair of boots and still only be able to manage short walks in them, and that you shouldn't be getting persistent joint pain after wearing them.

Two months in, and you're still getting discomfort? At what point does the possibility that they don't fit right become a consideration? I'd say about now, if not before now.

Properly fitting boots don't cause persistent knee pains, and aren't a source of discomfort after two months of wear. I'm sure Bakers and White's would tell you the same. Break-in shouldn't be some masochistic self-torment, and it shouldn't last months at a time. Frankly, well fitting boots ought to be comfortable by now.

I'd speak to Bakers, and explain your experiences thus far. They'll be able to help better than any of us will, but something doesn't sound right.
I will talk to Bakers about this. I like these boots so much perhaps I am in denial thinking they will get comfortable one day.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember @Luscombe had mentioned his boots took a whole to get comfortable and also have read about pinky toes' discomfort by another gentleman (can't seem to recall the username). I thought it's probably normal to wait a few months for full break-in

Jimk4003

Reaction score
I will talk to Bakers about this. I like these boots so much perhaps I am in denial thinking they will get comfortable one day.
I think it's a good idea.

The other good thing here is that if I remember correctly, these boots are going back to White's under warranty anyway once the warranty replacement for your other pair arrives with you.

In a perverse way, the fact that you've had to return both pairs you bought might end up being a stroke of luck. If there are any adjustments that need to be made, White's can incorporate them when they remake the boots, which is happening under warranty anyway. May as well make sure that if they're going back to White's anyway, they come back fitting properly.

I remember @Luscombe had mentioned his boots took a whole to get comfortable and also have read about pinky toes' discomfort by another gentleman (can't seem to recall the username). I thought it's probably normal to wait a few months for full break-in

Boots can take a while to get comfortable for sure, but it's not like they suddenly go from being totally unbroken-in one day, to all-day comfort the next. They should get progressively more comfortable over time, and after a couple of months they should be well along in that process, and certainly at the point where you can wear them all day without discomfort.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea.

The other good thing here is that if I remember correctly, these boots are going back to White's under warranty anyway once the warranty replacement for your other pair arrives with you.

In a perverse way, the fact that you've had to return both pairs you bought might end up being a stroke of luck. If there are any adjustments that need to be made, White's can incorporate them when they remake the boots, which is happening under warranty anyway. May as well make sure that if they're going back to White's anyway, they come back fitting properly.

Boots can take a while to get comfortable for sure, but it's not like they suddenly go from being totally unbroken-in one day, to all-day comfort the next. They should get progressively more comfortable over time, and after a couple of months they should be well along in that process, and certainly at the point where you can wear them all day without discomfort.
Come to think of it, I will send these when the other pair arrives, that way I will have at least something to wear.
But as an inexperienced person I wonder if it's a build mistake by White's because I would hate to think it's a fitting issue, that would mean going back to drawing board figuratively and literally.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
Come to think of it, I will send these when the other pair arrives, that way I will have at least something to wear.
But as an inexperienced person I wonder if it's a build mistake by White's because I would hate to think it's a fitting issue, that would mean going back to drawing board figuratively and literally.
It's very hard to say. Being your first pair of White's, you won't really have a frame of reference for how they're 'supposed' to fit, and the fact that your current pair has some defects that will be affecting the fit (the left boot being narrower than the right, for example) makes it very hard to draw an 'apples-to-apples' conclusion. Obviously when your second pair arrives back with you, you'll have a better idea if it's a fit issue or simply an issue with the build on your current pair, but if it's the former that won't be much help.

It's also worth remembering that sizing advice is only ever that; advice. The best fit-sheet and the most experienced fitters are still no match for actually having experience wearing a particular boot. It's also not uncommon for people to go on a bit of a 'sizing journey' with MTO boots, where they gradually get their fit dialled in via trial and error over time. I wouldn't say that making fit adjustments over time is 'going back to the drawing board'; it's all good experience.

Speak to Bakers and see what they say.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's very hard to say. Being your first pair of White's, you won't really have a frame of reference for how they're 'supposed' to fit, and the fact that your current pair has some defects that will be affecting the fit (the left boot being narrower than the right, for example) makes it very hard to draw an 'apples-to-apples' conclusion. Obviously when your second pair arrives back with you, you'll have a better idea if it's a fit issue or simply an issue with the build on your current pair, but if it's the former that won't be much help.

It's also worth remembering that sizing advice is only ever that; advice. The best fit-sheet and the most experienced fitters are still no match for actually having experience wearing a particular boot. It's also not uncommon for people to go on a bit of a 'sizing journey' with MTO boots, where they gradually get their fit dialled in via trial and error over time. I wouldn't say that making fit adjustments over time is 'going back to the drawing board'; it's all good experience.

Good observation! I noticed that the left boot looked narrower in pictures although it's kinda tough to see in person.
I remember your reply to my post about knee pain where you mentioned it could be fit issues and I think you are right.
I had talked to Bakers about the left boot of this pair when I experienced the discomfort in my knees and they recommended to keep this pair until I get the British Tan back which will be another few weeks.

DG123

Reaction score

I am curious about fit-sheets- tracing-measuring etc... For example, if I am accustomed to shoes/boots having plenty of toe area length-width I wonder if a shoe or boot made from my foot measurements might result in less toe area space than I've been accustomed to wearing.
* my best fitting footwear has come from wearing a longer length and more narrow width size than my Brannock measurement.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
I am curious about fit-sheets- tracing-measuring etc... For example, if I am accustomed to shoes/boots having plenty of toe area length-width I wonder if a shoe or boot made from my foot measurements might result in less toe area space than I've been accustomed to wearing.
* my best fitting footwear has come from wearing a longer length and more narrow width size than my Brannock measurement.

There's definitely an element of subjectivity about it. One person may like a really snug boot, and someone else may find a roomier fit more comfortable.

Just like getting fitted at a bricks and mortar store, the best way to guarantee comfort is to try something on for yourself. That's why White's usually offer a try-on pair after the initial tracings as part of the fit process.

DG123

Reaction score
There's definitely an element of subjectivity about it. One person may like a really snug boot, and someone else may find a roomier fit more comfortable.

Just like getting fitted at a bricks and mortar store, the best way to guarantee comfort is to try something on for yourself. That's why White's usually offer a try-on pair after the initial tracings as part of the fit process.

My usual size is 13B, sometimes 12.5B. If White's actually has try-on pairs in either of these unusual sizes I would be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it a bug in my browser (Chrome) or the gallery for this thread is not available anymore?

passaloutre

Reaction score
Thinking about making an order for MPs in horsehide. I've generally been happy with Chromexcel in the past, but I'd hate to order custom boots, wait a few months, and then find out I'd lost the lottery. The White's horsehide seems to offer a similar look, but with finer creasing and less risk of unsightly break. Can anyone confirm this, or talk to me about the general characteristics of the horsehide? Is there anything else I should be aware of concerning the White's horsehide? I know some boots in different leathers can fit slightly differently, some are warmer/cooler, for example.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads