• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The vegetable tanned semi dress is coming along nicely at the three month mark. I took @Rymanocerous’ advice and have been allowing them to “tan” naturally. Combined with a few applications of VSC, they are losing that raw “pinkish” hue and turning more to the caramel I am looking for...
2E857CE5-ECE4-4231-82C0-2A7407652584.jpeg
AB0A3BDF-7AC5-4341-A6EE-0A360B357A93.jpeg
67D2192C-FA8C-4E79-B084-F928E2DE7329.jpeg

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The vegetable tanned semi dress is coming along nicely at the three month mark. I took @Rymanocerous’ advice and have been allowing them to “tan” naturally. Combined with a few applications of VSC, they are losing that raw “pinkish” hue and turning more to the caramel I am looking for... View attachment 1603298 View attachment 1603299 View attachment 1603300
Man that's a fine looking boot and you have kept them in immaculate condition, perhaps by not wearing them much ..... kidding!

theofficialhung

Reaction score
I just discovered this defect moments after returning home from taking my dog for a walk in the park and going downtown for a coffee. These are work boots that have been worn for about a week definitely under 2 weeks. The toughest job I've ever thrown at these is walking my dog, I don't do labor or yard work in them and I work a desk job for a living.

I feel sick to my stomach I loved these boots so much, this is absolutely unacceptable and I'm shaking with rage right now. I've waited close to 5 months for these and no that's not a typo, these were ordered during the Black Friday sale and I received them less than 2 weeks ago after the heel had to be re-done since they were originally made with a lowered block heel instead of a standard logger.

I know Bakers isn't at fault, they don't build the boots this is a Whites problem. I will not wait 5 more effing months for my boots to be rebuilt. What would you guys do, take a stock boot or a refund? I have never heard of Nicks having basic QC issues like this I'm seriously considering getting a refund and just getting a pair of Nicks from their ships in under 6 weeks page.

181135107_4296731420337652_1735768404938177024_n (1).jpg

180661560_1101917303636353_3527651904907550518_n (1).jpg
180961350_485767189305871_771314995611578548_n.jpg

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just discovered this defect moments after returning home from taking my dog for a walk in the park and going downtown for a coffee. These are work boots that have been worn for about a week definitely under 2 weeks. The toughest job I've ever thrown at these is walking my dog, I don't do labor or yard work in them and I work a desk job for a living.

I feel sick to my stomach I loved these boots so much, this is absolutely unacceptable and I'm shaking with rage right now. I've waited close to 5 months for these and no that's not a typo, these were ordered during the Black Friday sale and I received them less than 2 weeks ago after the heel had to be re-done since they were originally made with a lowered block heel instead of a standard logger.

I know Bakers isn't at fault, they don't build the boots this is a Whites problem. I will not wait 5 more effing months for my boots to be rebuilt. What would you guys do, take a stock boot or a refund? I have never heard of Nicks having basic QC issues like this I'm seriously considering getting a refund and just getting a pair of Nicks from their ships in under 6 weeks page.

View attachment 1603513
View attachment 1603514 View attachment 1603517
Unbelievable! The gash went through the leather and the lining.
I didn't post but the left boot on my Burgundy BHs is built narrower than the right, that's on top of the lacing not aligned. I could feel it's squeezing my toes when I walk.
I would like to know more about options we have for custom footwear.

DG123

Reaction score

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1603513
Absolutely sucks to see this however it won't be an issue getting a new pair I'm sure. The wait pain will be real though I'm sure. If you can stomach the wait I'm sure they'll hook you up with a deal. This is a crazy problem to have happened imo

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely sucks to see this however it won't be an issue getting a new pair I'm sure. The wait pain will be real though I'm sure. If you can stomach the wait I'm sure they'll hook you up with a deal. This is a crazy problem to have happened imo
I like your positive attitude Sir!
It helps to live in/around Chicago.
With all the QC issues , I still think White'/Baker's is the best option, my opinion of course.

Last edited:

iamntbatman

Reaction score

View attachment 1603513

When you look back at your photos you posted when you got these back after the heel fix, you can see that in this exact spot there's sort of a zig-zag stitch in the exact spot that failed. I'm guessing they were damaged somewhere along the line either during the initial construction or that heel fix, then they stitched that gash back together with that zig-zag stitch hoping it would hold. It clearly didn't.

theofficialhung

Reaction score
When you look back at your photos you posted when you got these back after the heel fix, you can see that in this exact spot there's sort of a zig-zag stitch in the exact spot that failed. I'm guessing they were damaged somewhere along the line either during the initial construction or that heel fix, then they stitched that gash back together with that zig-zag stitch hoping it would hold. It clearly didn't.

All the pics of a single boot I posted after I got them back former re-heeling were of the left boot. The rip is on the right boot. There is one pic of both boots too but you can't see the stitching from that angle.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
My bad, I meant before you got the heel fixed. There's this area on the right boot where that failure happened where it looks like they went back over it a couple of times or something? It's kind of hard to tell with the roughout but the stitching looks noticeably different in that spot.

theofficialhung

Reaction score
My bad, I meant before you got the heel fixed. There's this area on the right boot where that failure happened where it looks like they went back over it a couple of times or something? It's kind of hard to tell with the roughout but the stitching looks noticeably different in that spot.

Thanks for trying to help me find the issue. I've been staring at pictures and looking at the boots of the area in question and I can't find any stitching abnormalities. Maybe I don't know what to look for but it looks fine to me? Other than the ripped leather obviously. The rip is in the leather itself, the 4 rows of stitching seems to be intact and I don't find any loose thread anywhere where one or more of the rows of stitching would have failed.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for trying to help me find the issue. I've been staring at pictures and looking at the boots of the area in question and I can't find any stitching abnormalities. Maybe I don't know what to look for but it looks fine to me? Other than the ripped leather obviously. The rip is in the leather itself, the 4 rows of stitching seems to be intact and I don't find any loose thread anywhere where one or more of the rows of stitching would have failed.

Adidas/Five Ten had a similar issue with the leather used in their climbing shoes a couple of years ago. Something in the processing of the leather caused weaknesses that would just split suddenly for no apparent reason. The affected shoe that I had split in a non high wear spot. I don’t know if this is a similar issue, but it might be a possibility. White’s will fix it, no doubt.

wordfool

Reaction score

Ooof, that sucks. Makes it look like White's uses thin ****** suede instead of full-grain roughout. In normal times White's has been able to turn a rebuild around for me in under 3 weeks, but these are still not normal times and AFAIK White's is still quoting pandemic build times which are about twice as long as normal. Still, might be worth asking Baker's how fast they think White's can make a new pair. And I would demand a new pair, not a repair.

If you like the fit then I'd stick with White's. I've not tried Nick's and one day I'm sure I will, but having one's size dialed in with a particular manufacturer is a big selling point IMO. Although Nick's lasts are similar, there might be subtle differences that you're unaware of.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends with high-arched feet : )
What brand of sneakers do you wear?
dress shoes?
Thanks

Luscombe

Reaction score
Ooof, that sucks. Makes it look like White's uses thin ****** suede instead of full-grain roughout. In normal times White's has been able to turn a rebuild around for me in under 3 weeks, but these are still not normal times and AFAIK White's is still quoting pandemic build times which are about twice as long as normal. Still, might be worth asking Baker's how fast they think White's can make a new pair. And I would demand a new pair, not a repair.

If you like the fit then I'd stick with White's. I've not tried Nick's and one day I'm sure I will, but having one's size dialed in with a particular manufacturer is a big selling point IMO. Although Nick's lasts are similar, there might be subtle differences that you're unaware of.
Based upon a recent email from Baker's, as in yesterday, Whites has been shut down for 1-1/2 weeks and are only working at 20% capacity now. I am waiting for a BF SD order and it is still 2-3 weeks out.
So yeah, current build times suck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads