• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

js0930

Reaction score
Thank you, I think only brown dress is tea core which will develop "interesting" patina?

Is it recommended to get red dog lined?

I have bounty hunters in red dog. Lining is only if you want it - work leathers really don’t need to be lined. Also, red dog is probably the most interesting of the work leathers - both when new and as it wears in. Would look great in a pair of packers.

6F69B2DD-2493-4A53-BA42-61B44520486E.jpeg

klank74

Reaction score
I have bounty hunters in red dog. Lining is only if you want it - work leathers really don’t need to be lined. Also, red dog is probably the most interesting of the work leathers - both when new and as it wears in. Would look great in a pair of packers.

View attachment 1602794
I whole heartedly agree. I have a pair of SJ’s in Red Dog and they are unlined. It does develope interesting characteristics. Shoes all the scuffs and scrapes until you clean and oil them. It reminds me a lot of redwings copper worksmith leather. I’ve also heard that it’s the easiest of the work leathers to break in. I’ve found it to only take slightly longer to break in than my brown dress. Now if I could only get the double midsole to give in?
E3B3C0A1-A32D-4AD8-B701-8193F7BEC7BE.jpeg
F6EE63BC-4EF8-41D9-A3CD-6BBF281F236F.jpeg

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of double midsoles and break-in I am thinking of ordering next White's with single midsole and 430 soles. The only concern I have I walk on paved surfaces, would I feel the ground with single midsole?

klank74

Reaction score
Speaking of double midsoles and break-in I am thinking of ordering next White's with single midsole and 430 soles. The only concern I have I walk on paved surfaces, would I feel the ground with single midsole?
I think you’ll feel the “impact” more so than the ground. I have a single midsole with the commando on my SD’s and noticed the impact a little bit, but I’m also 6’5”, 320 lbs, so that may be some of it. I don’t find walking in my double mid soles difficult, in fact, I enjoy walking around in them. My issue is I bought them for work and kneel down from time to time. They don’t flex quite enough for that yet.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you’ll feel the “impact” more so than the ground. I have a single midsole with the commando on my SD’s and noticed the impact a little bit, but I’m also 6’5”, 320 lbs, so that may be some of it. I don’t find walking in my double mid soles difficult, in fact, I enjoy walking around in them. My issue is I bought them for work and kneel down from time to time. They don’t flex quite enough for that yet.
You explained it better ?
The impact you described is precisely my concern. I guess it's double midsoles for me unless I am ordering single midsoles with Vibram 100.
Edit : although I am not a big guy, 230lbs and 6ft.

Danitch

Reaction score
1) should I get brown dress or brown elk tan for my BHs?

I'm not 100% sure that brown elk is available on a consistent basis.
I also asked brown elk for my pair in the order note, but the pair I received has a "brown dress" tag on the box.
The funny thing is that I don't know what they are really made of, because I have nothing to compare with ☺️.
The measured thickness of the leather on the quarters is 2.4mm / 7oz. That is the upper limit for the brown dress and the lower limit for the brown elk tan.

In any case, I am satisfied, both leathers have a tea core and should give a nice wear.

montanamike

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure that brown elk is available on a consistent basis.
I also asked brown elk for my pair in the order note, but the pair I received has a "brown dress" tag on the box.
The funny thing is that I don't know what they are really made of, because I have nothing to compare with ☺.
The measured thickness of the leather on the quarters is 2.4mm / 7oz. That is the upper limit for the brown dress and the lower limit for the brown elk tan.

In any case, I am satisfied, both leathers have a tea core and should give a nice wear.
Both of my elk tans were labeled as dress. I do have a brown dress pair and when you have both in hand, you can tell the difference.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burgundy HH on my Bounty Hunters is a great looking leather and I would like something similar on packers, kind of red/brown leather that could take a shine. Since HH prices have gone up, what are my options ? One is Red dog but I am sure it's not a leather you could "polish" to a shine.
Burgundy Bison is not available (I think).
If not, may be a tan color leather?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One is Red dog but I am sure it's not a leather you could "polish" to a shine.
One can polish Red Dog, but you have to saddle soap it first to get some of the surface oil off... otherwise you will spend an hour just pushing polish around.

It certainly takes more work than a dress leather, but with a modest twelve or so man-hours of work per boot, it can be made "presentable".

Jsanchez

Reaction score
Burgundy HH on my Bounty Hunters is a great looking leather and I would like something similar on packers, kind of red/brown leather that could take a shine. Since HH prices have gone up, what are my options ? One is Red dog but I am sure it's not a leather you could "polish" to a shine.

White's brown bison has a fair bit of red to it, it's closer to a brick red than a brown. And it can take a light shine with little effort.

js0930

Reaction score
what other work leathers do you have from Whites?

I don’t have others - but I placed my order in person at Bakers and was able to take a look at the work leathers and I’ve also seen a number of Whites models and leather at Danner (my comment on break in was more based on what I’ve seen on this thread and on social).

iamntbatman

Reaction score

Perhaps you could take a look at the black cherry water buffalo. I'm unsure of the characteristics (I seem to remember reading something about it being thinner and needing a liner but that it's pretty tough), but it's a very dark brownish burgundy color that takes a shine very well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads