• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DG123

Reaction score
I (politely, I hope) disagree with this. At least with the White's lasts, different lasts produce substantially different fits, depending on your particular foot shape. After all, that's one of the big advantages of a custom-built boot. Knowing your foot is a 12D on a Brannock device is a starting point, but that certainly does not guarantee that every 12D boot will be a good fit.

Footwear manufacturers are either shorter, on, or longer than a Brannock measurement. But within a given manufacturers product line shoe size length and shoe size width is usually consistent with regards to (that brand's) shoe length and shoe width. I understand some consumers may buy different sizes within one manufacturer's line, and that may be especially true for the White's brand customers, but I've never worn a pair of White's so I don't really know that manufacturer-brand.
Typically, lasts are designed-created primarily to offer a particular shoe/boot shape and look more so than for fitting purposes.

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Typically, lasts are designed-created primarily to offer a particular shoe/boot shape and look more so than for fitting purposes.

I think you're overlooking the fact that White's boots started as, and remain to a large degree, work boots. Fit and function trump looks in a work boot, although unfortunately their market definitely seems to be drifting to more casual/fashion boots/shoes. How the fashion shoe market works, I have no idea.

DG123

Reaction score
I think you're overlooking the fact that White's boots started as, and remain to a large degree, work boots. Fit and function trump looks in a work boot, although unfortunately their market definitely seems to be drifting to more casual/fashion boots/shoes. How the fashion shoe market works, I have no idea.

If White's was truly committed to fit the company would offer more stock boot availability in multiple widths. But, if the typical/usual White's customer is accustomed to ordering and waiting for his/her to be produced then White's is primarily a made to order manufacturer (and stock boot size availability is irrelevant).

montanamike

Reaction score
If White's was truly committed to fit the company would offer more stock boot availability in multiple widths. But, if the typical/usual White's customer is accustomed to ordering and waiting for his/her to be produced then White's is primarily a made to order manufacturer (and stock boot size availability is irrelevant).
Whites appears to (generally) stock Smokejumpers in size 7-13 in width B,C,D,E,EE and F. So someone like my dad who has worn Smokejumpers since 1970 can phone them up and have a pair on the way the next day. Picky folks like me who want special things, want fit options beyond the 4811 last get in line and wait the 8 weeks.

DG123

Reaction score
Whites appears to (generally) stock Smokejumpers in size 7-13 in width B,C,D,E,EE and F. So someone like my dad who has worn Smokejumpers since 1970 can phone them up and have a pair on the way the next day. Picky folks like me who want special things, want fit options beyond the 4811 last get in line and wait the 8 weeks.

Thanks for the information. So if I want a White's in my B width size there is at least one option (Smokejumper)that is a stock item within White's inventory. Thanks again for the helpful information.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well that is just flat out wrong.

Yeah your right, offering your customers a variety of lasts, sizes, width, mismatched sizes, leathers, combination last and last modifications shows their lack of commitment or level of caring regarding fit.

They should disregard all business fundamentals and carry huge overhead to correct this immediately /s

DG123

Reaction score
Well that is just flat out wrong.

Yeah your right, offering your customers a variety of lasts, sizes, width, mismatched sizes, leathers, combination last and last modifications shows their lack of commitment or level of caring regarding fit.

They should disregard all business fundamentals and carry huge overhead to correct this immediately /s

I understand that it's a common misconception among consumers that lasts are designed/created for fitting purposes.
For orthopedic footwear brands this is true, but otherwise lasts are created to achieve a particular look, such as toe shape, work well with a particular upper pattern and, or, style of shoe etc...
Again, shoe length size and width size are the primary contributors to how a shoe or boot will fit. 60 years ago the USA had several dozen factories and thousands of retailers stocking relatively few styles and colors. But the shoes and boots did come in widths ranging from AA to EEEE. So, there was a commitment to fitting that is now significantly less (or nonexistent) from producers and retailers. Today's consumers only know what the producers and retailers are selling now, not what was once formerly offered.
White's apparently does keep inventory stock of multiple widths for the company's best selling product , the Smokejumper. This is good and an ode to the way footwear producing/retailing was formerly done.
And if White's is willing to produce custom sizes/widths for other models, that's better than nothing, but the volume of consumers willing to wait several months for what may or may not be an excellent fit is probably low.

klank74

Reaction score
I understand that it's a common misconception among consumers that lasts are designed/created for fitting purposes.
For orthopedic footwear brands this is true, but otherwise lasts are created to achieve a particular look, such as toe shape, work well with a particular upper pattern and, or, style of shoe etc...
Again, shoe length size and width size are the primary contributors to how a shoe or boot will fit. 60 years ago the USA had several dozen factories and thousands of retailers stocking relatively few styles and colors. But the shoes and boots did come in widths ranging from AA to EEEE. So, there was a commitment to fitting that is now significantly less (or nonexistent) from producers and retailers. Today's consumers only know what the producers and retailers are selling now, not what was once formerly offered.
White's apparently does keep inventory stock of multiple widths for the company's best selling product , the Smokejumper. This is good and an ode to the way footwear producing/retailing was formerly done.
And if White's is willing to produce custom sizes/widths for other models, that's better than nothing, but the volume of consumers willing to wait several months for what may or may not be an excellent fit is probably low.
Clearly you haven’t experienced Whites 38 swing last.? No way was that last designed for “looks”. That one was made for the fit. But like we said, see if they have the MP for a try on if your interested in the chukkas. If they don’t have that, they usually have their SD’s available for a try on. Their built in the 55 last. That would probably be closer to the Barrie last they build the chukkas and MP’s on than the 4811 smoke jumper. My first pair of Whites are SD’s on the 38 swing last, but Bakers sent me a pair of SD’s on the 55 last for a try on before I placed my order.

theofficialhung

Reaction score

Are you a cobbler or a shoemaker? Or a professional in the shoe/boot industry?

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The number of consumers willing to pay $500+ is already low, so it’s kind of a moot point no? Fact of the matter is, is that if you’re an odd width, the majority of manufacturers won’t keep stock on hand as it wouldn’t make sense.

Whites and/or Bakers can surely help with sizing and fit sheets. Waiting is just part of the process and it is what it is. People who already know their sizing with given lasts are still in the same boat as well.

Woodtroll

Reaction score

I doubt that a bookmaker that’s been in business for over a hundred years, building work boots for specific uses, needs your marketing advice. They seem to sell all the boots they can manage to make, as evidenced by their persistent backlog.

instead of coming here explaining how you think things should work, you’d learn a lot more by investing some time reading through the years of information gathered here. You might also learn why folks buy these boots.

Or maybe you’d be better off going on Amazon, searching your size, and buying a pretty pair of shoes that someone has in stock in your size. After all, if you know your nominal size, the rest is cosmetic.:rolleyes:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt that a bookmaker that’s been in business for over a hundred years, building work boots for specific uses, needs your marketing advice. They seem to sell all the boots they can manage to make, as evidenced by their persistent backlog.

instead of coming here explaining how you think things should work, you’d learn a lot more by investing some time reading through the years of information gathered here. You might also learn why folks buy these boots.

Or maybe you’d be better off going on Amazon, searching your size, and buying a pretty pair of shoes that someone has in stock in your size. After all, if you know your nominal size, the rest is cosmetic.:rolleyes:

Looks like some n00b troll decided to come try to crap on White’s without actually understanding what they do.

Alaskaking

Reaction score

Uh oh. When @Woodtroll talks tough, y’all know its about to get real up in here.
Come on @klank74, I’m just lucky I can squeeze in a 38, I definitely bought them ‘cause they’re pretty. ?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like some n00b troll decided to come try to crap on White’s without actually understanding what they do.
The way he was slamming White's, seemed Iike he had a personal grudge ?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads