• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a basic description of the 39 swing last somewhere. Im starting to think it may work well for me. I have wide forefoot but its relatively flat.
Assuming you meant 38 Swing a/k/a 9338, this is from Baker's:

Primarily used in the semi dress and some 6 inch models. Much more width in toe box area. Not as much height in the toe as our 4811. Lightly used last when compared to other lasts. Great last for those who have wide ball/width area on feet and a narrower heel. Flatter/lower arch then 4811, 55 and 461 but more so then NW last.

Here is the picture top down...
1619190812415.png

In a larger sense though... how can one describe the 38 swing? Can one truly describe love or beauty? The English language is sadly deficient when it comes to describing in words the sublime perfection that is the 38 Swing. Like love and beauty it must be experienced and then the language of the heart makes mere paltry words unnecessary...

theofficialhung

Reaction score
Got my 4th pair yesterday. 6", 55 last (size 9D), Desert Sand leather, Lined, All nickel eyes + Vibram 700 soles. Also rolled tops + no pull loops on these.

View attachment 1598463

Nice build, simple and classic. All nickel eyes is a great touch and the desert sand leather should patina beautifully.

There's an ongoing discussion here about Whites LTT builds that have a "ridge" in the toe box. Desert sand is a work leather and already thick to begin with, yours are lined and the extra leather layer coupled with the thick work leather perhaps is mitigating any ridge effect.

Can you post additional pics of the toe box only so we can see in more detail?

denotenkoning

Reaction score
By ridge you mean this (see photo)? ?

In all fairness, I could live with the ridge and the blemishes (you have to overlook a lot at White's). But now it turns out that something is wrong internally. The Arch-ease is loose (I think). You feel and hear it. This was also the case with my 1st order. I had to send it back twice. Expensive (for both parties) as I live in the Netherlands. These shoes haven't even been outside yet. Only tried inside.

The Black Dress SJs are fine, but have the ridge too. I don't really care about that myself unless it makes the nose more fragile?

I'm waiting for a response from White's for the moment (for the Desert Sand pair). Usually they help me well. But now I have doubts about the next order as 3 of the 4 MTO's had problems so far. A real shame as I still have a lot of ideas for MTOs.

IMG_1070.jpg

Alaskaking

Reaction score
Nice build, simple and classic. All nickel eyes is a great touch and the desert sand leather should patina beautifully.

There's an ongoing discussion here about Whites LTT builds that have a "ridge" in the toe box. Desert sand is a work leather and already thick to begin with, yours are lined and the extra leather layer coupled with the thick work leather perhaps is mitigating any ridge effect.

Can you post additional pics of the toe box only so we can see in more detail?
I wonder if something has changed in production of LTT. I ordered my first pair with a soft toe, and was first instructed to see if it “settles out”, and then it was because I had ordered a soft toe(despite being very clear that I was new to ordering and please instruct me if I’m ordering something that doesn’t make sense).
I spent the next months searching through hundreds of pictures of LTT boots and saw the ridge twice.
I also found a post from about 2years ago from @sambam stating that Whites wouldn’t make LTT with the soft toe anymore because of the seam-not surewhy I didn’t get that instruction before ordering,but alas.
All of the sudden (aka post Sep 2020) many of the LTTs have the seam/ridge, even with celastic toe box.
For the thread record, mine are brown dress, and you can polish the caps and it looks like the continental divide-or have a nice tea core line running down the middle-both look ridiculous.-simple walking will rub through the polish and reemphasize the line quick.
Think I’m a plain toe guy now?
Expensive lesson for 2 more eyelets.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my 4th pair yesterday. 6", 55 last (size 9D), Desert Sand leather, Lined, All nickel eyes + Vibram 700 soles. Also rolled tops + no pull loops on these.

View attachment 1598463
I have seen this leather on other PNW boots but not on White's, is this option available on Baker's website?
Out of curiosity, do they have double midsoles?

DooDahMan

Reaction score
Assuming you meant 38 Swing a/k/a 9338, this is from Baker's:

Primarily used in the semi dress and some 6 inch models. Much more width in toe box area. Not as much height in the toe as our 4811. Lightly used last when compared to other lasts. Great last for those who have wide ball/width area on feet and a narrower heel. Flatter/lower arch then 4811, 55 and 461 but more so then NW last.

Here is the picture top down...
View attachment 1598466
In a larger sense though... how can one describe the 38 swing? Can one truly describe love or beauty? The English language is sadly deficient when it comes to describing in words the sublime perfection that is the 38 Swing. Like love and beauty it must be experienced and then the language of the heart makes mere paltry words unnecessary...

Dude this is perfect, thank you! The 38* looks and sounds like it is the perfect match for my odd feet my MP last and 55 last boots are still the most comfortable I have but the fit isnt quite perfect.

Hearing you wax poetic about the 38 just makes me more excited to try this out on some SDs. The fathers day sale cannot come soon enough!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads