• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful pair, congrats.
Your build gives me a solid starting point for the black motorcycle boots I still need. I’d probably go for a non-LTT boot and silver hardware; other than that it’d be a copy of yours.
Would you get them with lineman patch?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You weren't wearing White's?
Not wearing a pair of boots that weigh 4 pounds in 90 degree heat, walking 10 miles a day on concrete, at a theme park with wet rides... I know it is blasphemy, but for that type of walking I wear walking shoes... "old man" style actually... the New Balance 813... it comes standard with an AARP card, but they sure are comfortable!

I have not yet been able to bring myself to wear the Velcro ones... my hypocrisy only extends so far...
1619036403868.png

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right, I would get them without the lineman patch. It wouldn’t serve any useful function on the bike and make it a stiffer and longer-to-break-in boot.
What are your thoughts on this issue @chicagoan2016 ?
It's possible they add to break-in time but they will look cool : ) I got mine with double midsoles and leather half-slip for 'aesthetic enjoyment' but my feet are paying the price haha.

Bigtophat

Reaction score
It has been a while since I posted, I was at Disney World last week, and met a couple from Spokane at Epcot. Being the gregarious fellow I am, we struck up a conversation... they were telling me how nice Spokane was, and I mentioned that they were blessed with a plethora of excellent bootmakers... and they looked at me like I had two heads.

"You know", I said... "White's Boots... no? Nick's Boot's... nothing? Frank's Boots...nada..."

I guess when I think of Spokane, my first thought is boots (being a member of the this thread), but even some people who actually live in Spokane don't seem to know about these wonderful companies in their own back yard... kind of like people who live in NYC never go to the Statue of Liberty...

I felt like the hobbits in Lord of the Rings, incredulous that Aragorn did not know about second breakfast...

Pippin : What about breakfast?
Aragorn : You've already had it.
Pippin : We've had one, yes. What about second breakfast?
Merry : I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
Pippin : What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

What about White's? Nick's? Frank's? JK Boots? You know about them... don't you?

Don't count on it...
This is great, I have lived within 20 miles of the Statue of Liberty for almost 40 years and have never been there. I mean I’ve seen it hundreds of times but I’ve never taken the boat over.

DG123

Reaction score
@hoppy_IPA I have been working desk job all my (work) life , sitting infront of a computer, writing code. The first time I experienced some back pain was years ago and I went to a chiropractor. The exercises he recommended helped but I still keep a lumbar support pillow near my work chair. Although I have worn White's for close to one and a half month (only) but I think it has been of tremendous help in eliminating discomfort I have felt.
I am looking for something "dressy" but with White's signature arch support. The reason I have been drooling over 695 packers is, it offers the most arch support among all White's boots.

I agree that quality Goodyear welt construction boots with a steel shank and excellent arch support are ideal for promoting good posture, walking lots of miles etc...
Also, for computer work I highly recommend a Steelcase brand desk chair.

wordfool

Reaction score
This is great, I have lived within 20 miles of the Statue of Liberty for almost 40 years and have never been there. I mean I’ve seen it hundreds of times but I’ve never taken the boat over.

I currently live in NYC and have never been to Liberty Island. Moreover, the only reason I can imagine going is if some friends/family from out of town wanted to go and offered to pay for my ticket. If I had to buy my own ticket I’d just tell them to go without me :cool:

It took me about 10 years to get to Alcatraz despite seeing it almost every day when I lived in SF, and I think Alcatraz is a far more compelling place to visit than some French statue of a crazy lady holding up an ice cream cone in New Jersey :hide:

Scooterputtputt

Reaction score
Gentlemen, what do you think about the following as dress boots/shoes? or dare I say they look feminine? ??
I got the pictures from White's packers

View attachment 1597003

View attachment 1597004
Hell no they don’t look feminine. My eyes see a kick ass pair of out on the town boots. Absolutely killer. Get some and don’t look back. I was hesitant at first wearing similar boots, five minutes, then decided to own it. Go for it!
im out on adventures in the bush, with my daughter. If your interested can in a few days take a few picks for you. Your into Whites boots, do not overlook the packers! Another cool gentleman on here is of like mind. Some for work and some for play time.

Scooterputtputt

Reaction score
It has been a while since I posted, I was at Disney World last week, and met a couple from Spokane at Epcot. Being the gregarious fellow I am, we struck up a conversation... they were telling me how nice Spokane was, and I mentioned that they were blessed with a plethora of excellent bootmakers... and they looked at me like I had two heads.

"You know", I said... "White's Boots... no? Nick's Boot's... nothing? Frank's Boots...nada..."

I guess when I think of Spokane, my first thought is boots (being a member of the this thread), but even some people who actually live in Spokane don't seem to know about these wonderful companies in their own back yard... kind of like people who live in NYC never go to the Statue of Liberty...

I felt like the hobbits in Lord of the Rings, incredulous that Aragorn did not know about second breakfast...

Pippin : What about breakfast?
Aragorn : You've already had it.
Pippin : We've had one, yes. What about second breakfast?
Merry : I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
Pippin : What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

What about White's? Nick's? Frank's? JK Boots? You know about them... don't you?

Don't count on it...
Makes you want to go out and spread the word? Yes. Out of roughly 50 people no one knew what I was talking about. Absolutely no interest and perfectly happy with their less than desirable hurt their feet Walmart boots. And I’m considered the wierd one. Converted my son and one brother. Now they go out to spread the word of a better way to live foot, leg, knee, hip, back, pain free.

wordfool

Reaction score
Not wearing a pair of boots that weigh 4 pounds in 90 degree heat, walking 10 miles a day on concrete, at a theme park with wet rides... I know it is blasphemy, but for that type of walking I wear walking shoes... "old man" style actually... the New Balance 813... it comes standard with an AARP card, but they sure are comfortable!

I have not yet been able to bring myself to wear the Velcro ones... my hypocrisy only extends so far...
View attachment 1597352

At least you can still say you're lacing up your whites :rotflmao:

As the NE summer approaches (the real NE summer, not the coastal Maine version of it) my thoughts have also turned to non-boot footwear that prevents my feet liquidizing into puddles of hot sweat. Flip flops can only get me so far (although, granted, that is a remarkably long way) and merino socks can absorb only so much liquid before even they get swampy.

Buying breathable, comfortable, supportive shoes that don't make me look like an wannabe AARP member out for his daily shuffle is always a challenge, so I'd be curious to hear what others wear in the summer. Black (hey, it's still NYC) running shoes is where my mind is at the moment. I'm also curious about the White's Kinney Chukka, although I'm not sure the combo of a Barrie last and low height will keep my heels secure enough and I am sure the things still weigh about a half ton each, which is not ideal for minimizing energy expenditure in hot weather.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I currently live in NYC and have never been to Liberty Island. Moreover, the only reason I can imagine going is if some friends/family from out of town wanted to go and offered to pay for my ticket. If I had to buy my own ticket I’d just tell them to go without me :cool:

It took me about 10 years to get to Alcatraz despite seeing it almost every day when I lived in SF, and I think Alcatraz is a far more compelling place to visit than some French statue of a crazy lady holding up an ice cream cone in New Jersey :hide:
A few years ago, my wife, son and I visited. What was really interesting wasn't so much the statue as it was learning about immigration and such. The whole, "give us your tired, your poor...." had nothing to do with actual policy. It was - give us your able bodied to work farms and plants. People who were ill or infirm were either sent to doctors as guinea pigs or were sent back to Europe. The romantic version of the French wasn't really followed by the American government. Really a fascinating learning experience.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious to hear what others wear in the summer. Black (hey, it's still NYC) running shoes is where my mind is at the moment. I'm also curious about the White's Kinney Chukka, although I'm not sure the combo of a Barrie last and low height will keep my heels secure enough and I am sure the things still weigh about a half ton each, which is not ideal for minimizing energy expenditure in hot weather.
In the summer, if I am being casual (and never in public) I wear Crocs (now you know my secret shame...) Yes they are ugly, but they are so comfortable and easy on and off... and because I only wear them at home, I do not have to endure the ridicule of the proletariat.

Nick's Manito or White's 300 Oxford are great if you like the arch support of a boot, but want or need a shoe.
1619117505682.png

Light casual I wear Duckfeet... once you see the shape, you realize they are perfect for people like me with a wide forefoot. I prefer the Fyn...
1619117457529.png

Casual to Semi formal, I really like the Russell Moccasin English Country Oxford... the most comfortable shoe I own, but not much arch support for long days on your feet.
1619117369765.png

More Formal but not dress, I go for the Alden Plain Toe Blucher in CXL (I know... CXL... GASP!)... a classic...
1619117594318.png

If it is hot and I must wear a boot... I choose the Alden 405... heck if it worked for Indiana Jones in Egypt, it will work for me...
1619117669766.png

None of the above however are as nice as slipping into my White's SD, Brown Dress on the 38 Swing last... these are like an old friend, but not appropriate in every circumstance...

Last edited:

wordfool

Reaction score
In the summer, if I am being casual (and never in public) I wear Crocs (now you know my secret shame...) Yes they are ugly, but they are so comfortable and easy on and off... and because I only wear them at home, I do not have to endure the ridicule of the proletariat.

Nick's Manito or White's 300 Oxford are great if you like the arch support of a boot, but want or need a shoe.

Light casual I like Duckfeet... once you see the shape, you realize they are perfect for people like me with a wide forefoot. I like the Fyn...

Semi formal, I really like the Russell Moccasin English Country Oxford... the most comfortable shoe I own, but not much arch support for long days on your feet.

Formal but not dress, I go for the Alden Plain Toe Blucher... a classic...

If it is hot and I must wear a boot... I like the Alden 405... heck if it worked for Indiana Jones in Egypt, it will work for me...
View attachment 1597874
None of the above however are as nice as slipping into my White's SD, Brown Dress on the 38 Swing last... these are like an old friend, but not appropriate in every circumstance...

The proportions of those oxfords just look a bit "off" to me. They've never appealed. I saw someone describe them as the sort of old-fashioned shoes boys once had to wear at boarding school, and that seems about right!

Moccasins look interesting. Less so the bluchers, which really don't match my sartorial style (what little I have, at least). I have always wanted to try some Aldens because I think their Trubalance last might suit my feet well, but alas I do not live in Egypt and not even any longer in SoCal where the dry heat actually made boots more bearable except on the hottest of summer days. My body's problem is not so much with heat as with heat + humidity. That grueling combo kills me... sometimes, I'm convinced, almost literally.

Do Indys actually feel any cooler than a pair of SDs or BHs?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do Indys actually feel any cooler than a pair of SDs or BHs?
To me they do feel cooler.

They are lighter in overall weight, and use a thinner, dressier, calfskin leather than anything White's uses.

They seem to breathe better in hot weather than do the SD and BH... but YMMV... despite the above, they are surprisingly durable...

Alden calls them a "work boot"... which in the Alden line I guess they are... but Alden making a "work boot" is like White's making a "dress boot".

Last edited:

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty bummed - waited 132 days (4 months, 11 days) for my most recent order (Maryam Toscanello LTT) to arrive and they're pretty junky due to holes around the welt (which my last few pairs suffered from, as well) and the classic ridge in the toe box that seems to ALWAYS happen to any LTT pair I try to order... Very disappointed in White's lately, feeling bad for myself (in the most first-world way) for having a few other pairs being crafted now as well, I'd pass on them otherwise...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads