• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

discomute

Reaction score
Have you tried just putting the boots away for a few weeks to let the knee heal then starting again? I'd recommend this.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried just putting the boots away for a few weeks to let the knee heal then starting again? I'd recommend this.
There is my cricketer friend from Australia : )
I haven't worn them since Sunday so I am going to wait for a little while. I might have gone overboard by climbing a few flights of stairs during my evening walks.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the helpful insight, appreciate the feedback.
I have these boots for over a month but I have walked in them for around 10 miles, in addition to being lazy I got my COVID vaccine (two shots, both in March) and I was sick for several days.
These boots have double midsoles, extra heel height and leather half slip. They were my first White's and I guess I didn't realize they would get so heavy.
After wearing them for around 10 miles they are comfortable to wear in the office but it was Sunday evening walk that put too much strain on my knees especially the right knee. I haven't worn them since and now on Tuesday my knees are feeling better.
I got the knee compression sleeves from Walgreens and I going to try them.
@Alaskaking you mentioned this

I can straighten my knees but I don't follow straightening them another 1/4 inch ?
Could you please elaborate? I was a little concerned reading that I could beat up my knees : )
Exactly. If someone told you these types of boots were equivalent to walking shoes they sold you a bill of goods. See if any orthopedist wears boots like these to walk a mile in regularly. They don't. That's not what the boots were built for. Sometimes it's important to choose function over form. There's a reason walking shoes and hiking boots real hikers wear aren't designed like these boots are. Now that they're broken in they should be great for normal wear - but 'normal wear' isn't mile long walks for a boot like this.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Exactly. If someone told you these types of boots were equivalent to walking shoes they sold you a bill of goods. See if any orthopedist wears boots like these to walk a mile in regularly. They don't. That's not what the boots were built for. Sometimes it's important to choose function over form. There's a reason walking shoes and hiking boots real hikers wear aren't designed like these boots are. Now that they're broken in they should be great for normal wear - but 'normal wear' isn't mile long walks for a boot like this.

Hmm, I don't know if I can totally agree with this. It's a very rare occasion where I walk less than a mile on any given day, as my commute is about a 1.5 mile walk in each direction, and a fair number of my normal other destinations are at least as far. I have worn my commando-soled Bounty Hunters when traveling and putting ~15 miles on them a day for days or even weeks on end. Once my feet and legs got used to them (weight, arch support, heel strike, etc.) I found them very comfortable for all day walks. The only real issue is the lack of shock absorption in a stacked leather heel and hard rubber heel cap. I think my squishier-soled boots do better for walking all day on paved surfaces, and dedicated hiking boots are better on my knees when doing hikes with lots of up and down on rocks (not to mention the weight savings being nice). However, for unfinished or mixed surfaces, I will happily choose my White's over anything else for all day walking (or standing) comfort.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I don't know if I can totally agree with this. It's a very rare occasion where I walk less than a mile on any given day, as my commute is about a 1.5 mile walk in each direction, and a fair number of my normal other destinations are at least as far. I have worn my commando-soled Bounty Hunters when traveling and putting ~15 miles on them a day for days or even weeks on end. Once my feet and legs got used to them (weight, arch support, heel strike, etc.) I found them very comfortable for all day walks. The only real issue is the lack of shock absorption in a stacked leather heel and hard rubber heel cap. I think my squishier-soled boots do better for walking all day on paved surfaces, and dedicated hiking boots are better on my knees when doing hikes with lots of up and down on rocks (not to mention the weight savings being nice). However, for unfinished or mixed surfaces, I will happily choose my White's over anything else for all day walking (or standing) comfort.
your choice. My semi dress are comfortable. They do better than something with a double midsole like the person we're discussing has. My 3 pairs of whites do better than my 2 Carminas, my several Aldens. My Trickers do pretty well. But none have a double mid. And absolutely none of them do as well as my walking shoes and in a hiking situation my hiking shoes or boots do.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cool, could you compare the 5050 last size to your 55/2030 size, and would you have done anything differently size-wise on the 5050 build?
8.5 2030. 8.5E on 5050. Barrie last is too tight on a D, E width has a little more room than the 2030 which is considered an E width (before they started offering other widths). In regards to size changes, I wouldn't risk the $$ (I'm already in too deep) but I think same size in either last. I might be able to make a D on the 5050 work, but I don't think it would be ideal. I suffered through wearing my other pair so many times before owning that I dreaded putting them on and had to accept I just didn't have the right fit. But that's my personal journey.

5050 last is awesome, I did find that there is more volume in the toe box vs the Barrie last. 5050 is also taller and chunkier in the front vs. the Barrie. If you don't care about the aesthetic or have them side by side, I don't think is super noticeable. Wanting a sleeker boot, and running my other pair in a soft toe really highlighted how much slimmer the Barrie is vs the 5050.

Alaskaking

Reaction score
Thank you all for the helpful insight, appreciate the feedback.
I have these boots for over a month but I have walked in them for around 10 miles, in addition to being lazy I got my COVID vaccine (two shots, both in March) and I was sick for several days.
These boots have double midsoles, extra heel height and leather half slip. They were my first White's and I guess I didn't realize they would get so heavy.
After wearing them for around 10 miles they are comfortable to wear in the office but it was Sunday evening walk that put too much strain on my knees especially the right knee. I haven't worn them since and now on Tuesday my knees are feeling better.
I got the knee compression sleeves from Walgreens and I going to try them.
@Alaskaking you mentioned this

I can straighten my knees but I don't follow straightening them another 1/4 inch ?
Could you please elaborate? I was a little concerned reading that I could beat up my knees : )

Don’t worry too much about the mechanics on this, we could go down the rabbit hole on this one-the kinetic chain is complicated, “?the ankle bone connected to the shin bone etc.”
Every person will adapt differently in their body to the ground.
stand up, place a 1” book under your bare heels...what does your body do?
Just sticking with the knees only, one person will hyperextend their knee (and usually at least lumbar spine if they do this).
The next guy may do the exact opposite-bend knees and hips like you were sitting in the saddle.
Either choice-your brain wants your eyes at the horizon (mine usually like to look at my boots, but that’s another story.)
—-essentially straightening your knee 1/4” past it’s end range is impossible without a fracture or severe ligament damage-you didn’t do that——-that was my only point-not to worry.
If it only hurts at the top of the knee cap, and only at the end of the day after you have been using it.... possibly just irritating where the quadriceps tendon inserts and could be nothing more thanyou are using quads too much in gait...

It really could just be “overtraining”-increased exercise (new walking habit) with too heavy weights (your boots), from a new position of operating (up on your toes).
I don’t think you’re at the point of throwing them out, you just may be at the point of adjusting the way you address your body.
these are heavy boots, stiff boots, they do take some time to break in,
A. You shouldn’t hurt yourself doing it.
B. I was able to wear mine out of the gate all day every day, and I’m up and down, back and forth and standing on concrete most of the day.
C. I have seen several posts in various locations like “these are heritage boots, you shouldn’t work or expect to walk in them. “ ?????? They aren’t light weight runners, but you should be able to walk plenty far in them without pain, just don’t force it.
Good luck!

Scooterputtputt

Reaction score
There is my cricketer friend from Australia : )
I haven't worn them since Sunday so I am going to wait for a little while. I might have gone overboard by climbing a few flights of stairs during my evening walks.
I’m really looking forward to when they do break in for you! It’s a joy. To me always feel surprised when that happens, as up to that point usually question my choice of options and sizing. Addictive

wordfool

Reaction score
I saw that this is happening... orders begin at 2pm Pacific Time on Wednesday (April 14th)

The White's Boots X Carryology Khonsu

Supposedly a mash up of the MP, Main Street, and Stevens boots, built on the Barrie last, but only available in black or British Tan CXL. A lot of Carryology collabs sell out pretty fast so it'll be interesting to see the price and popularity of these. And supposedly only a 6-week build time, which seems much faster than the 10-12 weeks being quoted recently here. I wish they'd hurry up and build my boots first!

Available to order now. Price is $399, which sounds like a bargain until you realize you have to tolerate the "Carryology" embossing :laugh:

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Available to order now. Price is $399, which sounds like a bargain until you realize you have to tolerate the "Carryology" embossing :laugh:
I thought the product photos looked good. Followed the link, saw the price, I was in and then looking at the photos on White's website and the captoe just look off.

Then I realized I really just want a plain captoe Stevens in brown dress with that 55 arch support.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the product photos looked good. Followed the link, saw the price, I was in and then looking at the photos on White's website and the captoe just look off.

Then I realized I really just want a plain captoe Stevens in brown dress with that 55 arch support.
Could you order Stevens in 55 last?

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
I thought the product photos looked good.

lol at their waterproof sales pitch. the pics they show are a cvnt hair away from a soaking wet pair of socks
"Custom spec, ankle height gusseted tongue. Because no matter how well the boot is made, if it uses a traditional tongue, water will just go right around the sides. So we went with a half gusset, making the boot comfortable and easy to take on/off, while allowing you to stay 100% dry while ankle-deep in water."

Whites-Boots-x-Carryology-WATERPROOF.jpg

Jimk4003

Reaction score
Unless you're adamant that you must have a pull loop and a plain cap-toe, or are desperate to have a boot with the Carryology logo embossed on it, isn't this just a Main Street with a fancy set of laces and fewer finish options?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay gentlemen! I have some good news. After all the knee pain since Monday I might have figured out the culprit and its not White's boots.
Like @Jimk4003 and other folks mentioned after wearing for more than a month my White's shouldn't cause any pain. I am pretty sure that after walking in White's for several miles my "gait" adapted to the arch support, weight and all the cool stuff White's boots offer so when I was wearing Allen Edmonds boots (with no arch support)on Monday I most probably tried to walk like I was wearing White's lol and cause myself some discomfort. To test my theory I was in the office for a few hours today and I wore my BHs. I went to a store, walked around in the office etc and I didn't feel that "certain" knee pain, although I do have soreness from Monday.
So if my analysis is correct it's bye-bye time for all the "other" shoes/boots that I own :).

Edit : So the total time I had the boots on, was almost seven hours including climbing a flight of stairs. They are getting very comfortable. I still have some pain in my knees which I think is from wearing AEs on Monday.
To sum up, these BHs are now ready to be worn all day in the "office".

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics