• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mrfuzon

Reaction score
sizing suggestions I’m a 9.5E brannock, Viberg in size 9 works well for me.
What size would MP last work for me ?

for record grant stone, and Alden 9E Barrie is narrow in forefoot and wide in the heel. I have 9d truebalance shell boots but the instep is tight

wordfool

Reaction score
I saw that this is happening... orders begin at 2pm Pacific Time on Wednesday (April 14th)

The White's Boots X Carryology Khonsu

Supposedly a mash up of the MP, Main Street, and Stevens boots, built on the Barrie last, but only available in black or British Tan CXL. A lot of Carryology collabs sell out pretty fast so it'll be interesting to see the price and popularity of these. And supposedly only a 6-week build time, which seems much faster than the 10-12 weeks being quoted recently here. I wish they'd hurry up and build my boots first!

Last edited:

Vamp-ire

Reaction score
I’ve never sold only bought. Whites quality of a packer boot, have purchased half a dozen between $225 up to $350. Does seem to me prices have increased since purchasing most a few years ago.

Got them for $172 shipped, extremely lightly used 9C. I'm a 9.5D Brannovk so here's hoping they fit. These will be my first Whited

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whites 690 & 695 packers. Nicks dress packers. Love them. Favorite style, packers. Goes against conventional wisdom, i went up half size from my semi dress boots. To my actual brannock size
@Scooterputtputt could you share a picture of this boot showing its profile from the top?
Packers.png

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks, I have been wearing my BHs for a mile or so walk in the evening, not exactly every day, I am lazy.
These boots have double midsoles so they are quite heavy. I walked a little less than a mile yesterday (Sunday) and today when I was wearing AE Higgins Mill in the office, I felt a strange pain in my right knee. It's still hurting when I walk, I wouldn't term it excruciating. Am I overdoing by walking in the Bounty Hunters? I thought it would help with the break-in process.

Scooterputtputt

Reaction score
Folks, I have been wearing my BHs for a mile or so walk in the evening, not exactly every day, I am lazy.
These boots have double midsoles so they are quite heavy. I walked a little less than a mile yesterday (Sunday) and today when I was wearing AE Higgins Mill in the office, I felt a strange pain in my right knee. It's still hurting when I walk, I wouldn't term it excruciating. Am I overdoing by walking in the Bounty Hunters? I thought it would help with the break-in process.
Slow and easy they say, for breaking those bad boys in. I’ll attest to that. Have definitely experienced what you are feeling right now. Have noticed there’s sometimes not a rhyme or reason why some may cause troubles. Having broken in 50 years worth of heavy work boots, going too quickly can definitely cause some accompanying pain, learned the hard way. In the end, once broken in, boots like yours have helped my knees. For me the double midsoles broke in comparable to single. Use them for hiking. Hope your knee gets better friend!

Scooterputtputt

Reaction score
Can’t sleep so forgive me for the rambling. As far as the boots go with your knee pain, may I suggest a few ideas. In the beginning be extra diligent. For me the socks. Darn tough or equivalent. do not over stretch them by wearing left to right. Right to left. I tag one sock with colored thread. They then always fit perfectly with no pressure points. This has been #1 trick to eliminating my foot pain. Make sure the tongue is folded perfect. Lacing spot on. Take your time. Adjust it quite often, especially in the start. Once your dialed in doesn’t take much time. I do all this due to feet pain, replaced knee, and just getting wore out. Don’t get discouraged once you get them dialed in it will be sweet. Got a pair like yours due any week!

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would love to just don’t have access to them. Sorry. I keep a few pair to work in at the cabin. Will be a few weeks or so
Thank you Sir! Out of curiosity do you work in Washington/Oregon?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can’t sleep so forgive me for the rambling. As far as the boots go with your knee pain, may I suggest a few ideas. In the beginning be extra diligent. For me the socks. Darn tough or equivalent. do not over stretch them by wearing left to right. Right to left. I tag one sock with colored thread. They then always fit perfectly with no pressure points. This has been #1 trick to eliminating my foot pain. Make sure the tongue is folded perfect. Lacing spot on. Take your time. Adjust it quite often, especially in the start. Once your dialed in doesn’t take much time. I do all this due to feet pain, replaced knee, and just getting wore out. Don’t get discouraged once you get them dialed in it will be sweet. Got a pair like yours due any week!
I am on central time and have to get up early today : ).
I was recommended darn tough socks and I have been wearing those socks with my White's.
Appreciate the tips. Share pics when you get your pair. Horse hide is a great leather, I wish it were available in natural, I would have bought a pair in a heartbeat.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
Obviously break-in times vary by person and by boot, so it's hard to generalise how break-in will be for each person.

That said, haven't you had these boots for over a month now? By that stage, I would certainly expect to be able to manage more than a mile in the evenings in them without experiencing any knee pain. A mile is normally around a 15-20 minute walk; it should be possible to do that in a pair of boots you've had for a month without issue. I certainly wouldn't say walking a mile a day in a pair of boots you've had for a month is 'overdoing' it; in fact, I'd usually expect a pair of boots to be wearable all day well before now.

Just my tuppence worth, and I'd be interested in what others think.

At the end of the day though, persevere, but no boots are worth hurting yourself over.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's quite possible tendons or ligaments in your knee have been strained a little bit - it's amazing what a little inflammation can do to cause pain & discomfort. The truth of the matter is, a double midsole boot is not ideal for walking in. Your entire foot and leg motion is going to be different because of the stiffness. I've been walking 1.5 miles most weekdays since the summer since I'm working from home now. About a month ago I developed a similar situation - an inflimation above my right knee that would ache like crazy in the evening. A compression sleeve and switching to shoes with a more flexible sole and the issue resolved itself. I wasn't wearing double midsole boots but had been wearing a couple newer boots. Yes, it helped break them in wonderfully but at a price. Combine the altered stride with the extended, constant walk and you get the inflammation.

Alaskaking

Reaction score
It's quite possible tendons or ligaments in your knee have been strained a little bit - it's amazing what a little inflammation can do to cause pain & discomfort. The truth of the matter is, a double midsole boot is not ideal for walking in. Your entire foot and leg motion is going to be different because of the stiffness. I've been walking 1.5 miles most weekdays since the summer since I'm working from home now. About a month ago I developed a similar situation - an inflimation above my right knee that would ache like crazy in the evening. A compression sleeve and switching to shoes with a more flexible sole and the issue resolved itself. I wasn't wearing double midsole boots but had been wearing a couple newer boots. Yes, it helped break them in wonderfully but at a price. Combine the altered stride with the extended, constant walk and you get the inflammation.

The additional heel height on those boots can have the possibility to push your knees toward extension (straight)- and if you work in front of a computer all day, you may have some additional limitations in you knee extension you have never noticed before wearing these boots.
The heel on these boots is a bit much any way, but with an additional 1/4” lift AND a 1/2 slip you’ve got even more to deal with and have to make up for that difference, however small, somewhere in your body. Essentially (I don’t know how tall the 1/2 slip is-assuming you only added the lift). Straighten your knee as far as it goes.... then straighten it another 1/4” beyond your end range- one potential impact... if you don’t have the extra 1/4” beyond the end of your kneemovement, you’ll beat up your knees or have to make it up somewhere else, like your back. (Every heel strike in every step would force you toward this knee hypertension)
either way, I agree with those that say that it should not be “painful” at this point. An adjustment to gait definitely, Not pain.

Vamp-ire

Reaction score
Photos of the Packer I purchased off FB Marketplace

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210413-112812_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210413-112812_Gallery.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20210413-112819_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210413-112819_Gallery.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20210413-112846_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210413-112846_Gallery.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_20210412-215740_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210412-215740_Facebook.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 82

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads