• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mjunderw00d

Reaction score
Good wisdom above from ThreeLions. You have more options if your feet are normal width or wider.

The way Kyle explained it to me was: The SD last has the signature arch ease with a bulbus toe. The MP Barrie has a more svelt look with no arch support. The 5050 last marries the two with MP svelt toe in front and SD structure from the arch back. I am not too sure about the MP on the SD last. I think it is the SD heel arch and toe built to the shape of the MP. I suspect the toe would be more prominent than the Barrie MP but not as much as an SD boot.

Then there is the option of celastic vs non-celastic toe.

My Whites size is 10B and I own the MP in a 10B. It fits like a glove but no arch support and the Danite sole leaves me wanting. I do want another pair of MP's and must wait until either the 5050 is offered in a B or move ahead with a pair built on the SD last.

I for one would love to see some side by side photos of the MP's comparing the three different lasts.
Can anyone share?

great insight, thank you! @ThreeLions advice of the 5050 is definitely swaying me. And I’m with you - side by side photos would be so helpful.

wordfool

Reaction score
Good wisdom above from ThreeLions. You have more options if your feet are normal width or wider.

The way Kyle explained it to me was: The SD last has the signature arch ease with a bulbus toe. The MP Barrie has a more svelt look with no arch support. The 5050 last marries the two with MP svelt toe in front and SD structure from the arch back. I am not too sure about the MP on the SD last. I think it is the SD heel arch and toe built to the shape of the MP. I suspect the toe would be more prominent than the Barrie MP but not as much as an SD boot.

Then there is the option of celastic vs non-celastic toe.

My Whites size is 10B and I own the MP in a 10B. It fits like a glove but no arch support and the Danite sole leaves me wanting. I do want another pair of MP's and must wait until either the 5050 is offered in a B or move ahead with a pair built on the SD last.

I for one would love to see some side by side photos of the MP's comparing the three different lasts.
Can anyone share?

Not quite a comparison on MPs on three lasts, but here's how a celastic-toe MP (black WF) on the Barrie last looks next to a celastic-toe SD (brown dress) on the 55 last. Being a phone camera photo there is some lens distortion in the overhead shot that makes the MPs look a bit weird, but in general it illustrates what I consider the main difference between them to be -- the Barrie toe is only slightly more svelte in its height, not really it's shape from above which is pretty similar to the 55.

Arch-support wise, the Barrie's is pretty non-existent compared to the 55. Not totally non-existent compared to a Red Wing IR, but after wearing a 55-last boot it feels very flat. The Barrie last is supposedly longer than the 55, so Kyle had me go down a half size, but not everyone apparently needs to. Overall I prefer the 55-last toe shape because TBH it's hard to see much of a difference from above and my feet prefer a touch more room up front.

PXL_20210306_201136559.jpg
PXL_20210306_201033842.jpg

Last edited:

HolyBootsBatman

Reaction score
I gotta admit, I wasn’t a huge fan of them when you posted the first pics of them, but now, seeing them on foot, I like them a whole lot more. Did you go with the 430 outsole?
Yes, 430 outsole with Quabaug heel.

I wore them every day for the last week on a busy little trip to Santa Barbara.
It is impressive how little break in time is needed with a well fitting boot. Though, that’s largely due to the Elk Tan quarters.

Also, I had a few random complements around town. Which nearly never happens with sleeker boots, like my 1035/2030 Vibergs.
Just complements for the White’s, Wesco’s, and 310 last Viberg’s.

Last edited:

HolyBootsBatman

Reaction score
How do they do in light hiking? I’m thinking of trying them on my next build, might use them for some short hikes with my boys.
I my experience, 430 is great for light hiking. It does not pick up rocks or ten pounds of mud like my 100s.

I have not scrambled wet rocks much in 430s. So please note that I cannot speak to that.

430 is my favorite sole. Long wearing and enough traction for most situations.
Plus, it has a nice profile. Similar profile to Dainite; but Dainite feels like I’m walking on cafeteria trays.

It’s a minor detail but after hearing about Quabaug I’ve chosen them for custom builds.
Quabaug heels are slightly softer than the 430 heel. It is a trade off of the durability of 430 for a softer heel strike and possibly a bit better wet slip resistance of the Quabaug. Since heels can be easily replaced by decent local cobblers, I’m not worried about the loss of a bit of durability.

Last edited:

wordfool

Reaction score
How do they do in light hiking? I’m thinking of trying them on my next build, might use them for some short hikes with my boys.

I think 430 soles are a great all purpose option, like a light off-road yet smooth on-road truck tire. They‘re my “**** kickers” sole of choice.

Sure, I wish the lugs were slightly deeper and covered slightly more of the surface (like a cross between the 430 and the half commando sole), and the compound can feel quite hard in colder weather, but overall they are better than the 700 sole, grip-wise, and relatively low profile. Nowhere near the grip of the 100 sole, but also nowhere near the bulk and look of the 100 either.

klank74

Reaction score
I think 430 soles are a great all purpose option, like a light off-road yet smooth on-road truck tire. They‘re my “**** kickers” sole of choice.

Sure, I wish the lugs were slightly deeper and covered slightly more of the surface (like a cross between the 430 and the half commando sole), and the compound can feel quite hard in colder weather, but overall they are better than the 700 sole, grip-wise, and relatively low profile. Nowhere near the grip of the 100 sole, but also nowhere near the bulk and look of the 100 either.
Sounds like what I’m looking for then. I’ve heard the compound is a little on the harder side. I wish it was closer to the commando compound, I’ve found that to be about perfect. I’d go with that again, but these will be my “beaters” and I wanted a full sole to protect the shank area.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not quite a comparison on MPs on three lasts, but here's how a celastic-toe MP (black WF) on the Barrie last looks next to a celastic-toe SD (brown dress) on the 55 last. Being a phone camera photo there is some lens distortion in the overhead shot that makes the MPs look a bit weird, but in general it illustrates what I consider the main difference between them to be -- the Barrie toe is only slightly more svelte in its height, not really it's shape from above which is pretty similar to the 55.

Arch-support wise, the Barrie's is pretty non-existent compared to the 55. Not totally non-existent compared to a Red Wing IR, but after wearing a 55-last boot it feels very flat. The Barrie last is supposedly longer than the 55, so Kyle had me go down a half size, but not everyone apparently needs to. Overall I prefer the 55-last toe shape because TBH it's hard to see much of a difference from above and my feet prefer a touch more room up front.

View attachment 1568660 View attachment 1568661
Great comparison picture.

@mjunderw00d it sounds like I might be the only one who has had both the Barrie and 5050 MP in hand at the same time. What I will add is that the 5050 does add height and volume. It is not as sleek as the Barrie, despite White's billing the 5050 as a Barrie front and 55 arch. Even with both in a soft toe, the 5050 add several mm of extra height so by nature its more bulbous looking than the Barrie. However, the toe shape is much more defined which is neat.

The arch support is amazing. Compared to a Truman or Viberg, they feel flat in comparison. I would say if your'e looking for as sleek a boot as possible: Barrie. If you want arch support and don't mind a little additional chunk then 5050 hands down.

mjunderw00d

Reaction score
Great comparison picture.

@mjunderw00d it sounds like I might be the only one who has had both the Barrie and 5050 MP in hand at the same time. What I will add is that the 5050 does add height and volume. It is not as sleek as the Barrie, despite White's billing the 5050 as a Barrie front and 55 arch. Even with both in a soft toe, the 5050 add several mm of extra height so by nature its more bulbous looking than the Barrie. However, the toe shape is much more defined which is neat.

The arch support is amazing. Compared to a Truman or Viberg, they feel flat in comparison. I would say if your'e looking for as sleek a boot as possible: Barrie. If you want arch support and don't mind a little additional chunk then 5050 hands down.

This might be the most helpful advice yet. Thanks @Rymanocerous! Seeing all the options in person would be so helpful, so I'm glad to gleam this insight from you. 5050 sounds like the perfect middle ground for me.

mashtun

Reaction score
Exciting weekend - my W&C latigo bounty hunters made it on Friday! These are 7", soft toe, nickel hooks and eyes, block heel, commando sole, no pull loops. Everything about the boots is perfect and the fit is amazing. The latigo leather is much stiffer than some of my recent breakins (brown dress, brown horse, oil tans), especially in the upper and tongue (folding the tongue around my shin to lace the first time almost became a two person job...). It was a shorts weather weekend here in NorCal, so I only wore them around the house for a bit, but will get them out this week. I would have ordered this boot on the 5050 last if it was available in B widths - instead I got the soft toe which appears sleeker than my celastic toe SD's. The red hues on the latigo are amazing, I'm going to do everything I can to avoid darkening these! Cheers.
IMG_0051.JPEG

IMG_0053.JPEG

IMG_0054.JPEG

IMG_0055.JPEG
IMG_0051.JPEG
IMG_0053.JPEG
IMG_0054.JPEG
IMG_0055.JPEG

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exciting weekend - my W&C latigo bounty hunters made it on Friday! These are 7", soft toe, nickel hooks and eyes, block heel, commando sole, no pull loops. Everything about the boots is perfect and the fit is amazing. The latigo leather is much stiffer than some of my recent breakins (brown dress, brown horse, oil tans), especially in the upper and tongue (folding the tongue around my shin to lace the first time almost became a two person job...). It was a shorts weather weekend here in NorCal, so I only wore them around the house for a bit, but will get them out this week. I would have ordered this boot on the 5050 last if it was available in B widths - instead I got the soft toe which appears sleeker than my celastic toe SD's. The red hues on the latigo are amazing, I'm going to do everything I can to avoid darkening these! Cheers.
View attachment 1569913
View attachment 1569914
View attachment 1569915
View attachment 1569916 View attachment 1569913 View attachment 1569914 View attachment 1569915 View attachment 1569916
Worth every penny! enjoy in good health!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics