• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

klugtrane

Reaction score
I'm 26 weeks into my final Wesco build. Supposed to have been finished at the end of last month so we'll see if I get the shipment notification soon.
I'm not quite that far in, but similar boat with Wesco

klugtrane

Reaction score
You're welcome!

If memory serves, it's not that the half-sole is thin, it has more to do with the outer sole not being a full-length sole, and the way the outer sole is attached to the almost-completed boot. So the rubber half-sole is first sewn to a leather mid-sole, then that "assembly" is sewn to the boot the way a full rubber sole would be.

I may be off in my recollection of this, and welcome correction if somebody has a better grasp of the details. ;)

I can't pretend to know the details or how their production method works, but 8 years ago or so when I ordered my SD's, the default with a half-sole was single midsole. May have changed over time.
Capture_boots.PNG

Scooterputtputt

Reaction score
Have just been told by Kyle to expect 8 more weeks for my MP’s (ordered December 3) to ship. Apparently COVID is causing delays to the brown horsehide. Have to say I’m a little frustrated since that means they’ll probably arrive here in Denmark in mid-May, 6 months after my order. I’m confident they’ll be worth the wait, though.

Anybody else received the same message?
No messages at 13 week mark. Called them to inquire, only due to being curious. I’m in no hurry just hope two builds happen as submitted. Was to receive a call back, which hasn’t happened. Attributed it to being very busy.

Scooterputtputt

Reaction score
What is your order number? I'll follow up on it - thanks. Kyle
Thanks Kyle For the offer. Heading into surgery in the mornin, will be out of commission for some time. may just give you or Brandon a shout down the road a bit, once I’m feeling better. You guys are great, and I stand United with Bakers and Whites. Great people

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got shipping notification for my two pairs of Bounty Hunters, Baker's rock!!!!!
I already saved half the amount for my third pair of White's, come Father's day lol.

Woodtroll

Reaction score
I can't pretend to know the details or how their production method works, but 8 years ago or so when I ordered my SD's, the default with a half-sole was single midsole. May have changed over time. View attachment 1566808

Thanks for posting, I have indeed seen that same configuration before. I don’t know what the difference is, though. Somewhere a couple of years back, maybe more, there was a discussion about ordering two mid soles that became three layers of leather with the half-sole stitched to the third. I may not be remembering the details exactly right, but that’s where I read the explanation that I offered. Who knows what the “standard” may be at any particular point in time?

It looks like you have been enjoying those boots! Nothing at all wrong with honest wear.

Scooterputtputt

Reaction score
Thanks for posting, I have indeed seen that same configuration before. I don’t know what the difference is, though. Somewhere a couple of years back, maybe more, there was a discussion about ordering two mid soles that became three layers of leather with the half-sole stitched to the third. I may not be remembering the details exactly right, but that’s where I read the explanation that I offered. Who knows what the “standard” may be at any particular point in time?

It looks like you have been enjoying those boots! Nothing at all wrong with honest wear.
That was truly some interesting reading right there..have read and enjoyed every post on this thread! Learned so much, gotta say thanks to ya all. Seems I know most of you, kindred spirits out there. Much grateful

wordfool

Reaction score
I can't pretend to know the details or how their production method works, but 8 years ago or so when I ordered my SD's, the default with a half-sole was single midsole. May have changed over time.

Do you remember what last were those built on? My 55-last SDs with commando half sole definitely have a double layer midsole, so maybe it has indeed changed over the years. Interestingly, if you look at the "classic dress boot" on the Baker's site, it looks like yours with a single midsole. The "Standard Semi-Dress" has the double midsole like mine.

klank74

Reaction score
So I’m getting ready to place another order with Bakers. I sent an email to Brandon asking if a 7” SD is possible, or if that’s exclusive to the Division Road colab. If it’s not possible, I’m weighing some other options. Does anyone know if Wesco has a last available that would be similar to Whites 38 swing last? And can they do combo lasts with a heel narrower than the rest of the last?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads